Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Parent report card proposal stirs debate

Who's judging whom? Parent report card proposal stirs debate

There's a movement afoot for teachers to start issuing report cards... on parents! How would you feel about being graded by your child's teacher? One Florida state lawmaker is proposing just that. NBC Education Correspondent Rehema Ellis reported the story for TODAY, and it got her thinking about her own parental participation.

NBC News Correspondent Rehema Ellis

By Rehema Ellis, NBC correspondent

As I researched this story, it made me think about my own family. I asked myself, would I mind being graded as a parent?

All my son's life -- he's 8 years old now and in the second grade -- I've embraced the notion that my school days are starting anew.  Of course, the big difference now is that I'm in the teacher/tutor role. I make him breakfast every morning and sit down with him. I read all the school notices and frequently communicate with his teachers and the school. There's a big payoff:  I know how he's doing in school and his report card has never been a surprise. (And I should add, he's doing really well in school.)  

So, based on my involvement in my son's school life, I think I'd get a pretty good parent report card. Still, I got to thinking: What kind of grade would I get if I missed a few school notices or didn't check all of his homework? It could happen, because as we all know parenting isn't easy. Parents, especially those who work outside of the home, have long days on the job, often exhausting commutes, and frequent challenges to keep the house in order AND keep an eye on what's happening in their child's school.  

Susan Rayburn, the principal at Lincoln Elementary School in Plant City, Fla., told me that grading could jump-start involvement from parents who are not actively engaged in their child's education. But she also cautioned that if not handled properly, the parent report card could be a turnoff. Some parents could feel intimidated, she said. If the bill passes in the Florida legislature, Rayburn said she hopes teachers use the parent report card "as a tool for partnership versus a 'gotcha.' " 

She makes a great point. After all, the ultimate goal is to help children do better in school. If the parent report card is used, as she says, to "showcase what parents are doing and then help bridge that gap for what they are not doing,"  everyone's grades would improve ... kids AND parents.

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:55 AM
Replies (71-80):
opinionatedmom
by on May. 1, 2012 at 1:57 AM

ok but I dont need to be graded on wether or not I go to a effin pta meeting and spend every day at school with my child. I teach my special needs kid the way he learns best not the way some idiot teacher wants to control how I handle my kid. My oldest was reading at 4 but yet was ld. and how I conduct my business at home  has nothing to do with this. we might as well get in to the bf ff , swat no swat, and every other debate on cm if how I conduct my family at home becomes  the schools business. I am perfectly capapable of raising kids to do what is best for them without some idiot who sees my kid less than 8 hrs a day for less than a year decides what is appropriate for my kid. the POLITICALLY CORRECT IDIOTS WOULD HAVE LOVED FOR MY OLDEST TO GO TO COLLEGE. guess what he is not college material and that was our choice and decision to make. do I get bad grades for not sending an ld kid to college????? I sent him to hvac school instead and he will still make damn good money without going to college and being politically correct. since I have already raised one and he turned out fine I don't think I need some idiot teacher telling me I am raising my kid wrong. just like I don't need doctors treating me like I am a first time parent cause my kids are 19 yrs apart. I did a damn good job with my oldest and I don't need to be graded on wether I am politically correct enough or not. my kid was never in trouble in school. has never been in trouble with the law and is not a partier. oh and the best part of the scenerio is hold your breath I told my kid to drop out of high school cause public schools have a bunch of idiots teaching them and sent him to job corp where he got a real education and a trade I bet I would get an f on my parenting report card for that now wouldn't I? nobodies business but mine either.

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Parents send their children to public/private schools daily and along with their child/ren, they send along their parenting techniques and how they conduct "business" as a family in how their child behaves at school with the teacher/fellow students and responds to the teacher.

So how does this not "involve" a teacher?

Quoting opinionatedmom:

the way I parent does not involve them in any way shape or form.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on May. 1, 2012 at 2:25 AM
Wow

Quoting opinionatedmom:

ok but I dont need to be graded on wether or not I go to a effin pta meeting and spend every day at school with my child. I teach my special needs kid the way he learns best not the way some idiot teacher wants to control how I handle my kid. My oldest was reading at 4 but yet was ld. and how I conduct my business at home  has nothing to do with this. we might as well get in to the bf ff , swat no swat, and every other debate on cm if how I conduct my family at home becomes  the schools business. I am perfectly capapable of raising kids to do what is best for them without some idiot who sees my kid less than 8 hrs a day for less than a year decides what is appropriate for my kid. the POLITICALLY CORRECT IDIOTS WOULD HAVE LOVED FOR MY OLDEST TO GO TO COLLEGE. guess what he is not college material and that was our choice and decision to make. do I get bad grades for not sending an ld kid to college????? I sent him to hvac school instead and he will still make damn good money without going to college and being politically correct. since I have already raised one and he turned out fine I don't think I need some idiot teacher telling me I am raising my kid wrong. just like I don't need doctors treating me like I am a first time parent cause my kids are 19 yrs apart. I did a damn good job with my oldest and I don't need to be graded on wether I am politically correct enough or not. my kid was never in trouble in school. has never been in trouble with the law and is not a partier. oh and the best part of the scenerio is hold your breath I told my kid to drop out of high school cause public schools have a bunch of idiots teaching them and sent him to job corp where he got a real education and a trade I bet I would get an f on my parenting report card for that now wouldn't I? nobodies business but mine either.

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Parents send their children to public/private schools daily and along with their child/ren, they send along their parenting techniques and how they conduct "business" as a family in how their child behaves at school with the teacher/fellow students and responds to the teacher.

Quoting opinionatedmom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jesusismyfriend
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2012 at 8:35 AM

Quoting ElitestJen:

Quoting Momniscient:

I worked for the kids and their best interests. I did not care if the parents thought I worked for them as I found that those parents were the ones who were often undermining their childs education. So. I went about my daily curriculum, planning and teaching goals with the students in mind. If parents wanted to be involved they were absolutely welcome and encouraged to do so.

Ultimately it is the parents responsibility to ensure their child is getting a proper education, but they are usually not going to do that without a teacher who is a partner. Teachers are not parents employees and that kind of attitude serves to illustrate a real issue for kids when their parents unknowingly or selfishly undermine a partnership that should be productive not a power struggle.

Most teachers aren't interested in power struggles with parents and therefore will not engage in them.

Ok....so working for the kids and their best interests is ideally the best situation.  This article is not about partnership....its about a power struggle.  Anytime you "grade" someone, you're placing yourself in a position to do.  Teachers are in no position to do so.

There doesn't have to a be a power struggle.  There can be and are mutually benefical relationships between clients and those who service them.  It happens ALL the time. 

For example, if I need a picture framed.  I go to a framing shop and ask advice about frames, etc.  I'm the customer.  Without me (and others) that frame shop goes out of business.  The frame shop owner "works" for me.  It serves his best interest to service me to the best of his ability.  It serves my best interest to work with him and weigh his advice. 

With teachers, its no different.  I can't imagine a parent interested in a power struggle with a teacher unless that parent feels like the teacher is undermining her.  Which I've seen plenty.

I am going to say something and it will send some into shock.  PRIVITIZATION.  Get the government out of the schools.  Let them teach how they want and have them have to answer to the consumer.  If they are good they stay open and have excellent students.  If they fail they close and children get he education they deserve. I am torn as well I have 3 special needs kids and 2 others that do not.  I go to every single IEP meeting, every conference, call the teachers, write notes, check homework, and sign papers. I am going to school however and now have to set all appointments, IEPs, conferences, etc.  for when my dh is home.

romalove
by Roma on May. 1, 2012 at 8:37 AM

Two more years and I'm done with a kid in school (other than college).  I can't wait.

ElitestJen
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2012 at 9:04 AM
I don't know about complete privatization, but I'm a huge fan of vouchers and other forms of parental choice.

Quoting jesusismyfriend:

Quoting ElitestJen:

Quoting Momniscient:

I worked for the kids and their best interests. I did not care if the parents thought I worked for them as I found that those parents were the ones who were often undermining their childs education. So. I went about my daily curriculum, planning and teaching goals with the students in mind. If parents wanted to be involved they were absolutely welcome and encouraged to do so.

Ultimately it is the parents responsibility to ensure their child is getting a proper education, but they are usually not going to do that without a teacher who is a partner. Teachers are not parents employees and that kind of attitude serves to illustrate a real issue for kids when their parents unknowingly or selfishly undermine a partnership that should be productive not a power struggle.

Most teachers aren't interested in power struggles with parents and therefore will not engage in them.

Ok....so working for the kids and their best interests is ideally the best situation.  This article is not about partnership....its about a power struggle.  Anytime you "grade" someone, you're placing yourself in a position to do.  Teachers are in no position to do so.

There doesn't have to a be a power struggle.  There can be and are mutually benefical relationships between clients and those who service them.  It happens ALL the time. 

For example, if I need a picture framed.  I go to a framing shop and ask advice about frames, etc.  I'm the customer.  Without me (and others) that frame shop goes out of business.  The frame shop owner "works" for me.  It serves his best interest to service me to the best of his ability.  It serves my best interest to work with him and weigh his advice. 

With teachers, its no different.  I can't imagine a parent interested in a power struggle with a teacher unless that parent feels like the teacher is undermining her.  Which I've seen plenty.

I am going to say something and it will send some into shock.  PRIVITIZATION.  Get the government out of the schools.  Let them teach how they want and have them have to answer to the consumer.  If they are good they stay open and have excellent students.  If they fail they close and children get he education they deserve. I am torn as well I have 3 special needs kids and 2 others that do not.  I go to every single IEP meeting, every conference, call the teachers, write notes, check homework, and sign papers. I am going to school however and now have to set all appointments, IEPs, conferences, etc.  for when my dh is home.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jlo1313
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2012 at 9:47 AM
2 moms liked this

I feel this is very subjective.  I am involved with both of my children's education, but each child has very different needs when it comes to my involvement.  I wouldn't mind the parent report card, but we better be able to grade the teachers in return because there are some that have no business being in a classroom.

Lizardannie1966
by on May. 1, 2012 at 9:47 AM

In as much as YOU are attempting to do the projecting, it won't work. Your comments in thsi thread to not only myself but to others clearly indicates that you feel you're somehow better than teachers. That they're your employees.

I have nothing but the utmost respect for public school teachers. Two of my children attended public schools for all twelve years and with the exception of maybe one or two teachers in that time we found less than stellar, these people were amazing.

Never once did we look down our noses at them as if they were less than what they really were nor did we treat them as our employees.

I hope that when your preschooler hits school you will let go of your air of superiority.

Quoting ElitestJen:

What's with your negative connotation on client and servicer? Perhaps you're the one exuding attitude. Do you think you're better than someone performing a service for you? Do you disrespect them? Please don't project your issues on to me.

And if teachers aren't public servants....working for the public....who do they work for?

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

You did state it. But it doesn't make your sentiments fact that teachers work for us, the parents.

Your exact words were that teachers are not the "end all be all." Pretty similar to "are not all that," and both equally disrespectful.

The sad thing is you can't seem to own your elitest attitude toward teachers to begin with. "Client and sevices?"

SMH.

Quoting ElitestJen:

Actually, I stated that teachers work for me and other parents. That wasn't an indication...that was a statement.

And I did not indicate that teachers "are not all that.". That is a perception.

I'm glad you clarified that this is disrespectful in your opinion. That's all it is.

I find it incredibly sad that you cant understand that a client and a services cannot have a respectful relationship.

Lizardannie1966
by on May. 1, 2012 at 9:51 AM

You've clearly missed my point. Clearly.

Quoting opinionatedmom:

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Quoting opinionatedmom:

rotPferd
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2012 at 10:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting romalove:

Two more years and I'm done with a kid in school (other than college).  I can't wait.

My sentiments exactly only I have 3 more yrs!

I would get a big fat F cuz I haven't really been that involved with the school. I volunteered for "parties" every now and then but its just not my thing. All my kids did/do well in school and I didn't have to hover over them 24/7.

Tanya93
by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:33 AM
3 moms liked this

I hope you didn't teach them grammar, syntax, and paragraph structure.

Quoting opinionatedmom:

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Quoting opinionatedmom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN