Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Half-Naked Intruder in 12-Year-Old's Bedroom Is Lucky to Be Alive - What would you have done in this man's situation?

Posted by   + Show Post

Half-Naked Intruder in 12-Year-Old's Bedroom Is Lucky to Be Alive

Posted by Jeanne Sager on April 30, 2012 

justiceHero alert! When an intruder broke down the front door of a house in Washington State, pulled down his pants, and climbed into bed with a 12-year-old girl, the girl's dad grabbed his gun. And he proceeded to hold the creep at gunpoint while his wife called the cops. 

The family's nightmare ended when the cops showed up two minutes later and booked Kevin Niel Hawkins on charges of attempted child rape and burglary. It's a good lesson for vigilantes everywhere.

You have the right to protect yourself and your own. Do any more than that, and you lower yourself to their level. And it's just not worth it.

As little Alexis Reimers' mom Emily Kiely told TV crews who showed up to tell their horror story, it could have ended a lot worse if her husband had gone further:

Thank God my husband didn't shoot him -- otherwise that would have been a whole other story. But I'm glad we did have something to defend ourselves and glad my daughter is safe.

Her words marked a turning point in the newscast for me. Here I was, shaking with anger on her family's behalf, on behalf of that poor little girl. I wanted to do terrible, awful things to the kind of man who would hurt a child.

This guy made one of the biggest mistakes a guy can make: threatening a young girl when her daddy was there to protect her. But the way Alexis' dad handled the whole thing gives me chills. He was a hero under pressure, and he did exactly what every other person facing a criminal should. He defended his family, and nothing more. He left the real work for the criminal justice system.

His restraint saved his family. By neutralizing the threat against his family without using force, he saved them the agony of having to watch him become a criminal. They didn't have to see him booked and carted off to jail too. Can you imagine how hard that would have been for that kid? Here she is the victim of a trauma, and then on top of it, she'd have to lose her rock, the daddy who came to her rescue?

I think it's pretty safe to say that's a horror this kid could live without. And thanks to her pretty awesome dad, she can! He made certain the only criminal in that house is now in the big house.

What would you have done in this man's situation?

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:35 PM
Replies (31-40):
jllcali
by Jane on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:14 PM
I slept with a mag lite at that age, the intruder would have gotten a surprise from me.

I applaud that father's restraint, I'm not sure had it been me I would have not beaten the living fuck out of some nasty ass pervert crawling naked into my daughter's bed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
louzannalady
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:19 PM
Smh.... I would have had my daughter run to me and then I would have shot him. As soon as he walked onto my lawn with intent to harm- he forfeited his life. Not happening. A gun is a lethal weapon. If you are not going to use it for what it was designed for, don't pull it. Gun safety 101. If he wasn't going to use it, he should have just brought a baseball bat.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
andiemomo3
by Andie on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:22 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting paganbaby:

I have been working with him and with a trainer in Schutzhund since he was little bitty. He's not trained to kill, but to bark, bite, hold, track, obey and several other etcs. It's a game to him, but he takes it very seriously. He's our second Schutzhund dog. He's the first one that I have actively trained with. He is an amazing dog!
louzannalady
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:26 PM
Calfornia, Illinois, New York, Washington DC.

Quoting stormcris:

Honestly I would have held him with whatever weapon I happened to get to first which in my house could be a battle ax, swords, daggers, guns, etc. He would hope I didn't get the blow darts guns out. Now my husband would not have grabbed anything and would have beat him to a bloody pulp cause to touch his kids makes him see red immediately. 

Quote:

His restraint saved his family. By neutralizing the threat against his family without using force, he saved them the agony of having to watch him become a criminal. They didn't have to see him booked and carted off to jail too. Can you imagine how hard that would have been for that kid? Here she is the victim of a trauma, and then on top of it, she'd have to lose her rock, the daddy who came to her rescue?

It does not work that way where I live. Inside your house an obvious threat to your family shooting him would have been justified. In fact I do not know a place in the US where you are not justified if they intruder in inside your home. There might be a place but I am not aware of it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tina08mommy
by Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:32 PM
I would have wanted to shoot him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Numom61507
by Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:33 PM

My husband would call the cops while I told my daughter to leave the room. Seriously, he would have done nothing. I would probably gone after the guy with a bat or something to keep him from moving.

stormcris
by Christy on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:33 PM

California has a self defense law in place.

New Yorks is even better.

Illionois it would be justified completely.

and it is justified in Washington DC.

Just upon reading over their self defense laws.

Quoting louzannalady:

Calfornia, Illinois, New York, Washington DC.

Quoting stormcris:

Honestly I would have held him with whatever weapon I happened to get to first which in my house could be a battle ax, swords, daggers, guns, etc. He would hope I didn't get the blow darts guns out. Now my husband would not have grabbed anything and would have beat him to a bloody pulp cause to touch his kids makes him see red immediately. 

Quote:

His restraint saved his family. By neutralizing the threat against his family without using force, he saved them the agony of having to watch him become a criminal. They didn't have to see him booked and carted off to jail too. Can you imagine how hard that would have been for that kid? Here she is the victim of a trauma, and then on top of it, she'd have to lose her rock, the daddy who came to her rescue?

It does not work that way where I live. Inside your house an obvious threat to your family shooting him would have been justified. In fact I do not know a place in the US where you are not justified if they intruder in inside your home. There might be a place but I am not aware of it.

Fear of serious injury alone cannot justify oppression of free speech and assembly. Men feared witches and burnt women. It is the function of speech to free men from the bondage of irrational fears.
Louis D. Brandeis
glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:38 PM

The man would be dead my husband is not a think first type he is a react first type. He has a hot temper and hurt our girls kiss your ass good bye. 

wulfeyes05
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:42 PM

I htink it's crap that you can be arrested for killing someone who comes into your home and threatens those dearest to you. I would have shot the bastard, my husband would have too.

river.red
by Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:42 PM
I don't think he would be carted off and booked as a criminal. The guy broke into their home and attempted to assualt the girl. The father would have beem justified.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)