Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Texas Planned Parenthood Defunding Halted By Federal Judge

Posted by   + Show Post

Texas Planned Parenthood Defunding Halted By Federal Judge

Texas Planned Parenthood

A federal court in Texas ruled to stop a new law on Monday that excluded Planned Parenthood from the Texas Women's Health Program, which serves about 130,000 low-income women in the state. U.S. District Judge Lee Yeakel ruled that the law was unconstitutional because it bars eight Planned Parenthood clinics that don't provide abortions from participating in the program based on their affiliation with legally and financially separate entities that offer abortions.

Yeakel also cited the fact that the Department of Health and Human Services cut off all Medicaid funding for family planning to Texas because of the new law, which could jeopardize the entire program.

"The court is particularly influenced by the potential for immediate loss of access to necessary medical services by several thousand Texas women," Yeakel wrote in his ruling. "The record before the court at this juncture reflects uncertainty as to the continued viability of the Texas Women's Health Program."

After HHS cut off Texas' Medicaid money, Texas Gov. Rick Perry (R) promised to make up for the $30 million funding gap and pay for the Women's Health Program with the state's own money. But conservative Texas officials have suggested that they would rather end the entire program than allow Planned Parenthood to participate in it.

Planned Parenthood pleaded with Perry on Monday to keep the program in place despite the court's ruling, because it offers cancer screenings, birth control, testing and treatment for STDs and other health exams to low-income women across the state.

"We call on Governor Perry and the state to put Texan women first and set aside any vendetta they may have against Planned Parenthood," said Patricio Gonzales, CEO of Planned Parenthood Association of Hidalgo County. "No woman should ever have to fear being cut off from her doctor’s care because of shortsighted political games."

Perry's office did not immediately respond to calls for comment.

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 3:23 PM
Replies (31-40):
TCgirlatheart
by TC on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Sounds good!

~I ain't happy but, I'm feeling glad I got sunshine, in a bag I'm useless, but not for long The future is coming on~

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:50 PM

April 30, 2012 is old news?

Nice blame game you've got there. Interesting.

Quoting kailu1835:

This is old news.  And you can thank PP for stopping a hundred thousand women from receiving access to free or low cost health care.

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:51 PM

I'd have to go look it up again, but this all came out the first time it was posted here that Planned Parenthood was challenging the law stating that they weren't eligible for state funds.

Quoting PurdueMom:

Is this just your opinion or can you support this with facts?

Quoting kailu1835:

Planned Parenthood gets federal funding.  Texas run health services are funded through the state.  Texas set it up so that only the health run services were eligible for state funds, so that they would not have to spread the funds so thin and they'd be able to provide better quality care.  Planned parenthood were not happy with what they were currently getting from the federal government.  They wanted state funds too, so that they would have the monopoly, because the state run health care does not receive federal money.  As a result, the entire law was struck down, keeping state funds from going to any health services.

ETA: And now PP has the monopoly they wanted and are the only ones providing free or low cost women's health care.

babiesbabybaby development

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:52 PM

It is old news.  Information about this was out quite a while ago.

Not a blame game.  Planned Parenthood wasn't happy with just federal funds, they decided to go after state funds too, knowing that the way the law was written gave them the ability to shut down the whole thing.

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting kailu1835:

This is old news.  And you can thank PP for stopping a hundred thousand women from receiving access to free or low cost health care.

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Okie dokie then. People knew the judge was going to do what he did before he did it today?

Do you have some data and evidence to back up your claims?

Quoting kailu1835:

Not a blame game.  Planned Parenthood wasn't happy with just federal funds, they decided to go after state funds too, knowing that the way the law was written gave them the ability to shut down the whole thing.

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting kailu1835:

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Yes!  So glad to hear this.

Now lets hope the State of TX hears this. *sigh*

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Here's the original post: http://www.cafemom.com/group/99198/forums/read/15733137/Planned_Parenthood_Hurts_Women_s_Health_Program_Over_De_Funding

Quoting PurdueMom:

Is this just your opinion or can you support this with facts?

Quoting kailu1835:

Planned Parenthood gets federal funding.  Texas run health services are funded through the state.  Texas set it up so that only the health run services were eligible for state funds, so that they would not have to spread the funds so thin and they'd be able to provide better quality care.  Planned parenthood were not happy with what they were currently getting from the federal government.  They wanted state funds too, so that they would have the monopoly, because the state run health care does not receive federal money.  As a result, the entire law was struck down, keeping state funds from going to any health services.

ETA: And now PP has the monopoly they wanted and are the only ones providing free or low cost women's health care.

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:02 PM

I think it was pretty well known that the law would be struck down.

And yes, I do.  I posted the original post from the beginning of this year.

Quoting Momniscient:

Okie dokie then. People knew the judge was going to do what he did before he did it today?

Quoting kailu1835:

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting kailu1835:

rfurlongg
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:03 PM
I did not say she would be better. I just wanted Perry out. I still want him out. TX being deeply red I knew White was a long shot. KBH is sensible and a republican, I thought, hoped she had a shot and getting Perry out.
class="quotedText">Quoting Tanya93:

Why would KBH be better over Bill White or John Sharp?

Quoting rfurlongg:

She tried for the nomination. I was disappointed she did not get it.

Quoting Tanya93:

She was never even really considered for governor

Quoting rfurlongg:

Ditto. I was bitterly disappointed when she lost the nom for governor.
Quoting LauraKW:

REALLY like her.

Quoting rfurlongg:

Kay Bailey Hutchinson (R) senator, stood up against defunding PP. She recognized they provide a needed service.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:06 PM
1 mom liked this

So, old news because it was known to be bad legislation. Gotcha.

And do you have anything that isn't from lifenews?

Quoting kailu1835:

I think it was pretty well known that the law would be struck down.

And yes, I do.  I posted the original post from the beginning of this year.

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting kailu1835:

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting kailu1835:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)