Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

To discuss or not to discuss?

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 6:22 PM
  • 14 Replies

Is it just me or is it inappropriate to discuss finances with other people, such as salaries and what have you?

What about with friends and family members?

Would it make you angry if your spouse discussed your finances with other people?

I was always raised that you do not discuss these matters with other people, even family members. My husband thinks that this information is okay to discuss with anyone and this is normal conversation material. Did I miss this memo?

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." (Einstein)

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 6:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Apr. 30, 2012 at 6:27 PM

My family is pretty open about it. But not just anybody. My husband sounds like your husband :/

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Apr. 30, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Its all subjective. And personal. There are a few people I MIGHT discuss the basics with, but only if it was somehow their business. I felt uncomfortable asking my sister what they paid for their house and the monthly note...but I needed to know.

katy_kay08
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 6:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I was raised to not ask, and not tell.  I generally live by this lesson, with the exception that I do at times discuss financial stuff with my parents.  My father spent his career managing other people's money so I trust his opinions and advice.  

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 6:33 PM

I'm always surprised to realize how many people talk about their personal finances with me.

salary

debt

mortgage

etc.

GotSomeKids
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 6:35 PM

I will talk "general" terms, as in were a middle class or use food stamps etc.  But getting into total debt vs. income and all that jazz, I really dislike.  My BIL always use to ask us what we make.  My hubby has no problem telling people.  I hate it a lot.  I also find it to be a personal thing between spouses and unless it is absolutely necessary, I don't usually share it with anyone.

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2012 at 12:33 AM
1 mom liked this

I think only my mom knows what my husband makes. 

I don't think it's necessary to go around bragging about what you make...or complaining about what you don't make, for that matter. 

NutHouseMomma
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2012 at 7:44 AM
Apparently this is the new trend. I don't get it.

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

I'm always surprised to realize how many people talk about their personal finances with me.

salary

debt

mortgage

etc.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sneffy014
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2012 at 7:46 AM
1 mom liked this

I was raised like you and we did not discuss finances with other people. However, times have changed and I think things are a bit more open now with regard to finances.

NutHouseMomma
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2012 at 8:03 AM

Strangley enough, the way he talks about it with others is not in either a bragging or complaining way, but more so like talking about the weather.

Quoting toomanypoodles:

I think only my mom knows what my husband makes. 

I don't think it's necessary to go around bragging about what you make...or complaining about what you don't make, for that matter. 

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." (Einstein)

stormcris
by Christy on May. 1, 2012 at 8:07 AM
1 mom liked this

I was always taught it was bad manners to discuss these things with anyone. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)