Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Economics: Should the government intervene or not? Here the debate between Austrian and Keynesian Economics

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 7:11 PM
  • 5 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you believe the government should intervene in the economy?

Options:

Yes. Keynesian economics makes the most sense.

No. Austrian economics makes the most sense

Don't know / Don't care

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 4

View Results

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 7:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
erika9009
A Stay at home mom that used to be an engineer. Yeah, that's a big change.
Yesterday at 7:40 PM
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Here's the issue. 

If the "playing field" was level, the gov doesn't need to get involved at all.  Market forces will take care of themselves.  It's when the corps get the gov to restrict things that "pay to play" makes things unbalanced. 

I could go on, but if you have a good idea, you should be able to make money.  One problem these days is that your idea may make a competior mad.  So, they sue you hoping that you will run out of cash.  Even if the case has no merrit, they do this. 

Another reason to get pissed at lawyers.

ButterMeUp
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Bitches are greedy, they always will be. If no one steps in we as consumers will always be given scrap meat thats been marked "premium". 

Funny Pictures - Cat Gifs

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Apr. 30, 2012 at 8:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Well I listened and neither of these 2 experts presented a commanding or compelling solution.

IMO, the wealthiest individuals in the world, I believe at last count 75 some odd folks control global economies and markets. Way too much power and control concentrated in a few hands.

-Eilish-
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Quoting erika9009:

Here's the issue. 

If the "playing field" was level, the gov doesn't need to get involved at all.  Market forces will take care of themselves.  It's when the corps get the gov to restrict things that "pay to play" makes things unbalanced. 

I could go on, but if you have a good idea, you should be able to make money.  One problem these days is that your idea may make a competior mad.  So, they sue you hoping that you will run out of cash.  Even if the case has no merrit, they do this. 

Another reason to get pissed at lawyers.

I think this is ridiculous (true of course). In a capitalist society there IS competition - that's what keeps prices down and innovation up. I dont' support corps getting in bed with the government, but then again that isn't a free market capitalism, that's corporatism.

quotes Eilish likes

“The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and left untried.”

G.K. Chesterton

-Eilish-
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Quoting Sisteract:

Well I listened and neither of these 2 experts presented a commanding or compelling solution.

IMO, the wealthiest individuals in the world, I believe at last count 75 some odd folks control global economies and markets. Way too much power and control concentrated in a few hands.

Austrian economics would make room for "consumer regulation" that would keep the wealthy elite in check.

quotes Eilish likes

“The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and left untried.”

G.K. Chesterton

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)