Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Woman says that a local bar wouldn't let her dance on a platform because she was too fat

Posted by   + Show Post

Quote:

Student Says Bar Told Her She Was Too Fat

Jordan Ramos, Hawkeye Woman, Says Iowa City Union Bar Discriminated Her For Weight

Jordan Ramos Weight Discrimination Bar

A University of Iowa student says that a local bar wouldn't let her dance on a platform because she was "not pretty enough" and "obviously pregnant," despite expressing she was not, the Iowa City Press-Citizen reports.

Jordan Ramos, 21, describes herself as a plus-sized woman, but she never imagined her weight would become an issue at Union Bar, a downtown Iowa City establishment, where bouncers would deny her the option of dancing with her friends atop a small stage -- twice.

Ramos visited the bar on March 3 and again on April 4 and experienced the same discrimination both times, she said. The second time, a bouncer allegedly told her she couldn't dance because she was "obviously pregnant.

"They knew I was not pregnant; it was their way of calling me fat without having to actually say it," Ramos told ABC News.

And according to Ramos, other plus-sized women have had similar experiences.

The woman reached out to the Human Rights Commission in Iowa City, but according to the organization weight discrimination isn't illegal, ABC News reports.

But that's not stopping Ramos from taking a stand for herself and others.

"I understand that obesity is unhealthy, and I'm not condoning it," she told the Daily Iowan. "What I am trying to do is say that we are all human beings, and we all deserve to be treated equally."

The Iowa City Press-Citizen reached out to George Wittgraf, the owner of Union Bar, who said he was not familiar with the situation but disapproved of the employee's alleged behavior.

Nevertheless, Ramos is planning a rally in front Union Bar on May 4, where she says she hopes to ensure the bar not only makes a formal commitment to prohibit any form of discrimination in the future, but issues an apology to anyone who's received sub-par treatment in the past, the Daily Iowan reports.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/30/jordan-ramos-university-iowa-bar-discrimination_n_1464666.html

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:16 PM
Replies (41-48):
futureshock
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Quoting BeachMommy07:

ok so they thought she was pregnant honest mistake that happens often what is she gonna sue the bar? 

They knew she wasn't pregnant.

Quote:

"They knew I was not pregnant; it was their way of calling me fat without having to actually say it," Ramos told ABC News.

Themis_Defleo
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting BeachMommy07:

ok so they thought she was pregnant honest mistake that happens often what is she gonna sue the bar? 

They knew she wasn't pregnant.

Quote:

that is Ms. Ramos' opinion, and not a foregone conclusion.

stormcris
by Christy on May. 1, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Looking at her in the picture.

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting stormcris:

Because her weight is not proportional over the entirity of her body and with a small platform, not being used to it (that particular platform), and given its a bar drinking she would be more prone to lose her balance and fall than a person whose weight is dispensed over her body evenly. 

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting stormcris:

I still think it is an issue of worry over being sued for an accident unless for some reason that bar is the type that only caters to the super thin, which if that were the case it would have denied her admittance. Sexy is in the eye of the beholder and there are many men who like their women on the heavy side.

Why would she be any more accident prone than anyone else?

How do we know this about her weight?

Fear of serious injury alone cannot justify oppression of free speech and assembly. Men feared witches and burnt women. It is the function of speech to free men from the bondage of irrational fears.
Louis D. Brandeis
rotPferd
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2012 at 11:27 AM

I agree with some pp, I don't want to see someone jiggling their junk in front of me either. Have any of ya'll been to a bar lately? Most of the +size women wear too little, too tight or too revealing clothing and the style of dance is just something I don't wanna see.

Madammeke
by Member on May. 1, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Maybe the table wasn't strong enough to hold that weight. More a safety issue than anything else. Why would you make such a commotion about table dancing?? I don't get it.

jehosoba84
by Jenn on May. 1, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Quoting Tanya93:

tbh

she isn't pretty or thin enough for that

you don't have the right to dance on something.

She is going to lose this and is going to be humiliated because she isn't someone people want to see dance

This. I don't want to see a woman weighing 250lbs dancing up on a platform. No more than I want to see her in a bikini on the beach. Sorry. 

SuperChicken
by on May. 1, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Welcome to the real world.  Where you don't get everything you want and some people are mean.   Hurt feelings don't equal discrimination and dancing on tables in bars is not a human right. 

And lol that the bar is obligated to build tables that accommodate every fat person that wants to dance.

JamesMom714
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2012 at 12:59 PM
Either way she will sue.... Don't let her up on a stage that may not support her weight she cries discrimination... She gets up on the stage, the stage collapses and he's injured she sues....

How bout this? 1) don't dance on the stage or 2) lose weight that be a slank up on stage shaking your now weight-appropriate behind...

People need to chill!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN