Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Stephen King tells rich people upset over tax increases: ‘Tough s***

Stephen King tells rich people upset over tax increases: ‘Tough s**t’

By Andrew Jones
Monday, April 30, 2012 16:13 EDT

Novelist Stephen King. Screenshot via Youtube.

Wealthy Americans adverse to paying higher taxes may have found a new enemy in famous novelist Stephen King, who lashed out at his fellow high income earners Monday afternoon for complaining about a possible increase in their rates.

In a brutally candid and colorful op-ed column for The Daily Beast, King was relentless in his criticism of rich people upset over tax increases and Republican figures who defend them.

“Tough shit for you guys, because I’m not tired of talking about it,” King said. “I’ve known rich people, and why not, since I’m one of them? The majority would rather douse their dicks with lighter fluid, strike a match, and dance around singing ‘Disco Inferno’ than pay one more cent in taxes to Uncle Sugar.”

“Here’s another crock of fresh bullshit delivered by the right wing of the Republican Party (which has become, so far as I can see, the only wing of the Republican Party): the richer rich people get, the more jobs they create. Really? I have a total payroll of about 60 people, most of them working for the two radio stations I own in Bangor, Maine. If I hit the movie jackpot—as I have, from time to time—and own a piece of a film that grosses $200 million, what am I going to do with it? Buy another radio station? I don’t think so, since I’m losing my shirt on the ones I own already. But suppose I did, and hired on an additional dozen folks. Good for them. Whoopee-ding for the rest of the economy.”

King, who praised Warren Buffett several times through his op-ed for pushing for the rich to pay higher taxes, showed no signs of running out of stinging analogies for those on the right.

The Buffett Rule is a tax plan that would apply a minimum tax rate of 30 percent on individuals making more than a million dollars a year. The rule has however drawn some criticism from the left for potentially locking in the Bush tax cuts.

King joins Buffett, Bill Gates, and Russell Simmons among a list of wealthy, well known Americans to push for higher taxes on the rich.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/04/30/stephen-king-tells-rich-people-upset-over-tax-increases-tough-st/

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:28 PM
Replies (11-20):
Kate_Momof3
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2012 at 7:29 AM
4 moms liked this

There are a few wealthy people I would pay good money to watch light their dicks on fire and sing "Disco Inferno." Rupert Murdoch is first on my list.

skittlebeans88
by Member on May. 1, 2012 at 7:33 AM
Go Mr King! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
btamilee
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2012 at 7:37 AM
1 mom liked this

Well......Stephen has never been one to hold back on his opinions! ......he lives about 10 minutes from my house...and he is being taxed up the butt, by living in Maine!  Our taxes suck!  He is an amazing person, and has done a great deal for our area.  Always willing to step up to bat whenever his help is needed.  I may not always agree with his opinions, but I always admire him for his straight forward talking! 

jesusismyfriend
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2012 at 8:02 AM
1 mom liked this

LOL. I could so see him saying this.  I think all loopholes need to be closed, then maybe we would be bringing in more revenue and taxes would not have to be raised.

Kate_Momof3
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2012 at 8:03 AM

I totally agree. Corporate welfare abuse is killing this country.

That's what you meant, right?

Quoting jesusismyfriend:

LOL. I could so see him saying this.  I think all loopholes need to be closed, then maybe we would be bringing in more revenue and taxes would not have to be raised.

jesusismyfriend
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2012 at 8:10 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Quoting jesusismyfriend:

Yes.  This and also taxing corps more that go overseas but giving breaks or lower rates to those that stay here.  Like say a 15% tax rate since Japan's is 20% I think.

Kate_Momof3
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2012 at 8:16 AM

I honestly think it would turn this country around if we did that. It's so simple. 

Quoting jesusismyfriend:

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Quoting jesusismyfriend:

Yes.  This and also taxing corps more that go overseas but giving breaks or lower rates to those that stay here.  Like say a 15% tax rate since Japan's is 20% I think.

vlester
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2012 at 8:39 AM

good for him

AMBG825
by on May. 1, 2012 at 9:31 AM
1 mom liked this

How about this for an idea. Those people who only pay $2000-$3000 in taxes but wind up getting $6000-$8000 back for a return  - don't give them that extra money back and no one's taxes will need to be raised.

12hellokitty
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2012 at 9:48 AM
2 moms liked this

I'm sure King is aware the IRS accepts donations.  And how about King make his tax returns public along with all the other rich people who are pushing to pay higher taxes.  If they can show were they have not taken advantage of loop holes then we will know they are sincere.  Other wise they are just trying to play the hero and need to shut up...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN