Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Would you put your career on hold for your spouse?

Posted by on May. 1, 2012 at 2:04 PM
  • 42 Replies

Khloe Kardashian and Lamar Odom: Why We're Taking "Time Off" From E! Reality Show

Entertainment May 1, 2012 AT 10:23AM
Khloe Kardashian Odom and Lamar Odom arrive at the Kardashian Kollection Handbag launch on November 2, 2011 in Sydney, Australia. Khloe Kardashian Odom and Lamar Odom arrive at the Kardashian Kollection Handbag launch on November 2, 2011 in Sydney, Australia. Credit: Don Arnold/WireImage.com

Khloe Kardashian and Lamar Odom have re-prioritized.

Though Kardashian "pulled the plug" on E!'s Khloe & Lamar, a source close to the star told Us Weekly Monday, the 27-year-old says she'd consider reviving the series sometime in the future.

PHOTOS: Khloe Kardashian and Lamar Odom's wedding album

"Our show is not cancelled," Kardashian tells Entertainment Tonight. "Lamar and I have chosen to take a break this summer. We've been on a whirlwind doing back-to-back shows, and we just want to take a little time off for Lamar to be with family time, kids, basketball, Olympics -- you never know. So, we have a lot on our plate right now."

PHOTOS: Khloe Kardashian's style transformation

Lamar Odom, who was recently released from the Dallas Mavericks, adds: "The issue at hand is we just want to be happy. We'll take our time and we'll get back to it when it's time."

VIDEO: Khloe Kardashian worries about possible infertility

Married since September 2009, Kardashian and Odom, 32, "just want to go on their honeymoon and take a breather," a source told Us Monday. Plus, "Khloe's exhausted from filming!"

by on May. 1, 2012 at 2:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sisteract
by Whoopie on May. 1, 2012 at 2:11 PM

I have- In order to travel the country for my husband's job, I relinquished my position and reduced my work status to casual (1 day month requirement).

katzmeow726
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2012 at 2:26 PM
2 moms liked this

Yep, I already have.  I was working on an education degree, when I got pregnant.  

We decided it was best to let DH finish college first (he was closest to degree completion), and do gradschool before I went back full time.  I am heading back to get my degree, but it will be years before I ever teach in a classroom, if ever I do, because I will be home schooling my children.

I didn't give up my career...I just discovered a new and better one :-D 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
romalove
by Roma on May. 1, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Hmmm......

I don't know if I would.  I was raised by someone who put aside everything to have a marriage and a family (I am one of four children) and had many regrets because being totally dependent on her spouse rendered her impotent in some important ways, and also made her unable to leave if she wanted to.

It was always drummed into my head to be self-sufficient.  I don't know if I could give over that much to someone else.

It has never occurred for me, and I'll be married 29 years in July, so I don't know what I would do "in the moment".  But I do know that being "in charge" of my ability to earn and take care of the family has been more helpful than if I had given it over to my husband.

nb34
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2012 at 2:38 PM

I did. I put my own career on hold for 18 months when our second son was born, so that DH could finish his degree. Now I am back, working and studying at the same time. It was hard, but you do what you have to do for your life. We both have made sacrifices in life to make our marriage work, and so that we can stay together. I have no regrets. I would do it agian if I have to.

Playitagain
by Member on May. 1, 2012 at 2:40 PM
I have and would do it again. I have no regrets.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wickedfiress
by Kellie on May. 1, 2012 at 3:43 PM
3 moms liked this

I wouldn't consider being a "reality tv star" a career. 

I have, in a way, put my career on hold, but not so much for my husband as for my children. 

ButterMeUp
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2012 at 3:47 PM

I do that now. 

My dream is to become an economist but their is currently no need for one in the family business. I pick my husband's job and family over my happiness...well for now. My husband has to work much longer hours than me and I need to stay home with our DD while he works 50+ hours. My In laws pay him 5 times as much as me. We could not survive well without his wages. I would ratter the rich and slightly unsatisfied than struggling and a wee bit more happy.

My happiness can wait until DD is in school. I plan on taking classes while she is in class. 

Funny Pictures - Cat Gifs

ButterMeUp
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2012 at 3:48 PM

It is when you and your family made 36 million collectively from it. 

Quoting wickedfiress:

I wouldn't consider being a "reality tv star" a career. 

I have, in a way, put my career on hold, but not so much for my husband as for my children. 

Funny Pictures - Cat Gifs

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on May. 1, 2012 at 3:50 PM

If I ha their money, the hell no I wouldn't work.

punky3175
by Punky on May. 1, 2012 at 3:58 PM
1 mom liked this
All I can say is 'Thank you! One less Kardashian on TV.'

As for original OP, while I'm not currently married, I don't think I'd be willing to be dependent on a man for support. I've been doing it too long on my own.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)