Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Grandparents Arrested for towing Granddaughter behind their SUV in a PowerWheel...

Posted by   + Show Post

Grandparents Paul and Belinda Berloni Arrested For Towing 7-Year-Old In Toy Car Behind SUV (PHOTOS)

Posted: 04/30/2012 6:50 pm Updated: 05/ 1/2012 11:11 am

Kids may be more safe driving with grandparents than mom or dad, but there's an exception to every story: an allegedly intoxicated Florida pair was arrested Sunday for towing their 7-year-old granddaughter in a toy car behind their SUV.

Paul and Belinda Berloni admitted they'd been drinking before using 2 dog leashes to hook the small plastic car to their trailer hitch, according to the arrest report by a Sarasota County Sheriff's Office deputy.

The deputy spotted the girl being towed up a paved access road while Belinda Berloni cheered her on from the SUV's cargo area. Despite being separated from six lanes of traffic by only a sidewalk, the girl was not wearing a helmet and clad in just a bathing suit.

The deputy "immediately" smelled alcohol coming from Paul Berloni, whose license had been revoked after 3 previous DUI convictions.

His wife reportedly told police she understood the activity was dangerous, but "they were just having fun and had been doing this all day."

Son Justin Oetting was unamused when he arrived to pick up his daughter, who was unharmed. "Are you f-----g stupid? You should know better," he said to his mother before telling the deputy he thought the pair had a drinking problem.

The Berlonis were each charged with one count of child endangerment, and Paul Berloni is being held on additional charges of driving under the influence and driving with a suspended license.

PHOTO from the arrest scene: 

Grandparents Arrested In Sarasota

Toy Car Behind Vehicle
Sarasota County Sheriff's Office

I birth on my Turf. Homebirthers

by on May. 1, 2012 at 3:54 PM
Replies (21-30):
justkeeplaughin
by Member on May. 1, 2012 at 5:59 PM
I lived in a neighborhood filled with hills when I was a kid. When it snowed someone would stand at end of hill to warn coming cars while the rest of us were lined up to be pulled down the hill on ANYTHING we could find! LOL I survived...I think! LMBO
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
beesbad
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Quoting Arroree:

Ok, so if the son KNEW they had a drinking problem why the heck did he leave his child with them???

You took the words right out of my mouth! What the grandparents did was irresponsible and dangerous but what parent leaves their child with people he knows have a drinking problem?

In Vino Veritas

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2012 at 6:20 PM

I got towed on my roller blades behind my parents' car a few times in the parking lot.  Not on a street where there were cars going by.

hopealways4019
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2012 at 6:31 PM
If this wasn't so serious, it would be funny as hell.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
myhandsomelove
by Member on May. 1, 2012 at 7:27 PM

we do this, well with the riding mower or the bikes its fun, only in our yard though never out in the street. we live on 2.5 acres so we have a pretty good track to enjoy. but i would never let this happen with a car let alone having been drinkin it just irresponsible and stupid....

Sunflower7556
by Member on May. 1, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Crazy

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting UpSheRises:

Wait...does that mean i can tow DS and DH on a sled down my street when the snow is pretty deep?  

You joke, but when we were kids our cousins did it all the time. My mother wouldn't let us, but it was pretty common back in the day.

While I don't think this was the brightest idea, it's the alcohol use that upsets me the most in this case.

**Shifts eyes back and forth. Makes note to self not to do it next year.**

futureshock
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2012 at 8:27 PM

morons

RedRozeMom
by on May. 1, 2012 at 8:42 PM
Is it a bad thing I thought this was funny?

Here..people do this all the time. Of course they aren't drinking and driving and the roads aren't busy and I do live out in the middle of nowhere.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
charleyd68
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2012 at 8:57 PM

WTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN