Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Just an observance--oops, OBSERVATION! Thank you Professor V. ;)

by on May. 2, 2012 at 4:38 AM
Replies (121-128):
glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on May. 3, 2012 at 11:24 PM

nope pretty much CM normal

Lacey14
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2012 at 12:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting Raintree:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting Della529:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting Lacey14:

I believe some of these threads to be defamation because the poster is trying to lead others into agreeing with them, that Christians are bad, wrong, lunatic or whatever.  The poster is trying to lead public opinion against a certain group of people.

This is the way I see it.

I'm not saying the stories are not deplorable, it makes me sick that anyone would believe that way, do those horrid things in the name of God....

but my point was, it DOES seem that there are those that will go out of their way to find articles that make Christians look bad or stupid. 

It does look like some just "have it out for" Christians. 

Good debate, ladies.  Thanks for keeping it decent.  ;)

You do realize there wouldn't be any articles to find if certain Christians wouldn't interpret scripture so outlandishly, right?

What does finding a whole string of articles posted to make Christians look like idiots have anything to do with how scripture is interpreted? 

It's not about the content of the articles, it's about the run on the posting of such articles.

This isn't about your darbydispensationalism at all, Della.  ;)

NO! Nononononononooooo!

You're missing the WHOLE point. Counteract the bad within your own faith, Poodles! If they're wrong, you need to go in there and BE the voice of reason.

It's futile, rain.  Minds are made up.

I don't condone any thing that nasty, wicked people are doing in the name of God, that's not the point---those people are dead wrong. 

But posting a string of like articles, I believe, is just to poke the Christians in the eye.  There is an obvious bias against Christians among some in here. 

Rain, whenever someone does try to be the voice of reason, as you say, they are ridiculed for sounding like they are better than others.  It is a no win situation to try to change someones mind on religion.  If someone is truly on the brink of accepting Christianity, it will be their own personal journey with God that will be the determining factor.  If they aren't ever curious or desperate enough to ask for God to answer their questions, then they just aren't ready to listen to anyone.  Counteracting bad comments, and defending your faith, is just futile as poodles says.

My belief is that the people who commited these acts in the name of God, are extremeist and actually mentally sick.  They are extremely wrong for violating and forcing their views on someone in such harmful ways.  The same as a leader or parent that is overly liberal to the point of damaging children.  I'm thinking about people who force children into sexual acts etc. because they see nothing wrong with it.  Balance in all things is the healthiest way to live.

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2012 at 1:46 AM

Of course not.  But you won't see me trying to attack them for their beliefs, like they do to people on here.

Quoting Lacey14:

Quoting kailu1835:

Personally I think they're so insecure in their own beliefs that they have to poke sticks at others to make themselves feel better about believing something they aren't sure about.

And you have every right to that opinion, because it is yours, and you made it using all the knowledge you have about the subject.   Stick to your opinions, but don't deny other's their own. :)

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting kailu1835:

Some people just are vindictive.  It isn't odd to me at all, because these posts are posted by and filled with the posters you would expect.  Just skip it... you give it power.

Exactly.  I generally don't even open the posts---the titles alone turn me off. 

It's sad that people do this though, as the poster above said. 

What's the point of continuing to poke sticks at a certain group of people?  It just makes them look trite.

babiesbabybaby development

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Quoting Arroree:

It was bugging me too but if i'd said anything i'd just get more insults from Poods.

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

I cannot hold this in any longer!

ob·serv·ance

[uhb-zur-vuhns] Show IPA

noun

an act or instance of following, obeying, or conforming to: the observance of traffic laws.
a keeping or celebration by appropriate procedure, ceremonies, etc.: the observance of the sabbath.
a procedure, ceremony, or rite, as for a particular occasion: patriotic observances.
a rule or custom to be followed or obeyed; a customary practice.
Roman Catholic Church .
a.
a rule or discipline for a religious house or order.
b.
a house or order observing  a rule or discipline.

ob·ser·va·tion

[ob-zur-vey-shuhn] Show IPA
noun
an act or instance of noticing or perceiving.
an act or instance of regarding attentively or watching.
the faculty or habit of observing or noticing.
notice: to escape a person's observation.
an act or instance of viewing or noting a fact or occurrence for some scientific or other special purpose: the observation of blood pressure under stress.

I see now that I should have used OBSERVATION---but shucks, it was 1:30 in the morning....I was half asleep.  ;)

Thank you girls for showing me my heinous error. 

Arroree, you're just a dollface for not humiliating me.  Bless your heart. 

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2012 at 2:21 AM

Quoting Arroree:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

But posting a string of like articles, I believe, is just to poke the Christians in the eye.  There is an obvious bias against Christians among some in here. 

Just as the same people repeatedly post anti Muslim and anti Islam articles over and over, just as the same people post anti-abortion threads over and over, and so on and so forth. Get past the persecution complex, it's not just happening to Christians in here, it happens to all religions and all groups. This just happens to be Christian week, give it a few days and the subject will change to something else *besides, one of the threads you posted is over 2 months old, reaching*.

I actually found all of these on the first few pages, into page 5, I think...one may have been two months old but it had been bumped up recently.  ;)

Roar, you know I'm not one that cries Christian persecution, I have said all along I don't feel Christians are persecuted here in America---I do think Muslims are, but not as bad as it was a decade ago. 

All this was was just an OBSERVATION.  I noted all the crazy Christian posts and made a comment that it seemed a little odd...and the fact it was coming from the same posters, over and over. 

That is all...no biggie, just a comment I wanted to make---at 2 in the morning.  lol

Raintree
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2012 at 8:19 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Lacey14:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting Raintree:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting Della529:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting Lacey14:

I believe some of these threads to be defamation because the poster is trying to lead others into agreeing with them, that Christians are bad, wrong, lunatic or whatever.  The poster is trying to lead public opinion against a certain group of people.

I'm not saying the stories are not deplorable, it makes me sick that anyone would believe that way, do those horrid things in the name of God....

but my point was, it DOES seem that there are those that will go out of their way to find articles that make Christians look bad or stupid. 

You do realize there wouldn't be any articles to find if certain Christians wouldn't interpret scripture so outlandishly, right?

What does finding a whole string of articles posted to make Christians look like idiots have anything to do with how scripture is interpreted? 

It's not about the content of the articles, it's about the run on the posting of such articles.

NO! Nononononononooooo!

You're missing the WHOLE point. Counteract the bad within your own faith, Poodles! If they're wrong, you need to go in there and BE the voice of reason.

I don't condone any thing that nasty, wicked people are doing in the name of God, that's not the point---those people are dead wrong. 

Rain, whenever someone does try to be the voice of reason, as you say, they are ridiculed for sounding like they are better than others.  It is a no win situation to try to change someones mind on religion.  If someone is truly on the brink of accepting Christianity, it will be their own personal journey with God that will be the determining factor.  If they aren't ever curious or desperate enough to ask for God to answer their questions, then they just aren't ready to listen to anyone.  Counteracting bad comments, and defending your faith, is just futile as poodles says.

My belief is that the people who commited these acts in the name of God, are extremeist and actually mentally sick.  They are extremely wrong for violating and forcing their views on someone in such harmful ways.  The same as a leader or parent that is overly liberal to the point of damaging children.  I'm thinking about people who force children into sexual acts etc. because they see nothing wrong with it.  Balance in all things is the healthiest way to live.

Not by people with a brain.

And I'm sorry, but this "oh, it's not worth it! let's not talk about any of it anymore!" isn't helping.

What I notice is that there is an instant defensiveness- not so much of an outcry toward whatever the post is about- by Christians. Not all. But most. And seeing a post in an online forum is not persecutory.

Time to toughen up a bit. I think of my mother- she doesn't spend all her time complaining about supposedly being picked on- she just sets an example. Consistantly. That works. Making excuses does not.

tambrathegreat
by on May. 4, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Well, first off, the OP didn't bother to read the posts, or she would know that at least two of the articles didn't have a religious slant to them at all. 

Secondly, how is it libel/slander/defamation when these are actual events that have occurred?  I don't think anyone who posts these things, with the exception of the one about RWC' havein a lower IQ are out to hurt Christians specifically, the are posting news articles that are outrageous to them and shcould be to all thinking persons. 

Unless, of course, you believe that you can beat the gay out of a kid or you actually want to kill atheists because of their non-religiosity.

Quoting Lacey14:

I don't believe all the negative Christian posts, have anything to do with just being good debate material. They are more likely posted for their shock value.  People take their personal values and beliefs, very seriously.  Ridiculing another's core beliefs through defamation and slander, creates lots of feedback, but that isn't true debate.  It is just poking a stick at something you can't identify.

muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2012 at 5:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Raintree:

Quoting Lacey14:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting Raintree:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting Della529:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting Lacey14:

NO! Nononononononooooo!

Not by people with a brain.

And I'm sorry, but this "oh, it's not worth it! let's not talk about any of it anymore!" isn't helping.

What I notice is that there is an instant defensiveness- not so much of an outcry toward whatever the post is about- by Christians. Not all. But most. And seeing a post in an online forum is not persecutory.

Time to toughen up a bit. I think of my mother- she doesn't spend all her time complaining about supposedly being picked on- she just sets an example. Consistantly. That works. Making excuses does not.

I agree with you Rain. I have done it enough myself in all the anti Islam posts that get posted.

Whether a few beleive you or not isnt the point, the point is, that out there somewhere in that post, people are listening to you and seeing a different side of what is being posted. Those interested in knowing the truth will ask and do their own research.

If you dont like what is being said about your faith, lifestyle choice, etc, then you need to speak up for yourself and your beliefs. If a party is perverting your beliefs, then say so. 

You is general ^^

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)