Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Just an observance--oops, OBSERVATION! Thank you Professor V. ;)

by on May. 2, 2012 at 4:38 AM
Replies (61-70):
romalove
by Roma on May. 3, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Quoting newmom2be08:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting newmom2be08:

I think people want to make Christians look like fools.  I get a VERY negative vibe toward Christians on this site.  That's my opinion and I'm stickin' to it! 

wink

I'm an atheist.  We are apparently the most hated and mistrusted of all people. 

Wanna compare negative vibes?  LOL

I guess we are in the same boat, huh?  :)  BTW, I don't hate you.  ;)

I think we're in the boat of "CM threads tend to be extremist".  :-)

I don't hate you either LOL! 

Sisteract
by Whoopie on May. 3, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Poodles :)

I abhor the abortion debate. I exercise my free will.

I do not open those posts- they generally are posted by the same few contributors.

Why slam my head against the wall? IMO, education for some ended decades ago.

PurpleCrayonz
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting Sisteract:

Well, I saw a clip of the Minister and his thoughts on gay children .I am disgusted at his inhumanity-

I didn't read through it...but I'm sure I would have been too. 

Then why not go onto the post and agree that it is wrong?

That's I think what I don't understand and I think a lot of what those posts are about.  If Christians don't come into those posts to say that it is wrong and totally unrepresentative of their beliefs, I think it could go a long way.

Instead, usually any Christians who do come in tend to be defensive, dismissive or say that they can see where it is coming from.  In particular, the way that so many Christians simply accept that targetting the rights of gays is acceptable is so galling.

The best way for Christians who think it is unrepresentative of the religion to address that fact would appear to be coming in to any thread like that and joining in the condemnation of it.  If that doesn't happen, the feeling tends to grow that it is more representative than most of us would hope of Christians as a whole.

PurpleCrayonz
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2012 at 11:27 AM
2 moms liked this

This is the sort of inflammatory remark that is irritating.

I am glad that you at least had the decency to admit in an earlier post that it is horrendous that anybody would do as the man who shot the boy did.  Unfortunately, you immediately classify him as "not a man of God", yet he did what he did because it is what he believed God wanted him to do.

It is the failure of those who are Christian in these groups to come into those posts and to condemn the actions and comments of those who claim to be acting in God's name.  Not to dismiss them as not being "Christian" because they believe they are.

Somehow, those who feel that these threads are attacking Christians need to find a way to own the fact that their religion is responsible for some incredibly evil actions.  The people doing these things are "following" a religion that is very important to you, yet the response tends to be ignore, dismiss or disown the actions.

That is the true travesty of all of this...that Christians will simply refuse to see the evil that is done in their name...is never really addressed.  Simply saying that the people who do this are not "true" Christians is minimizing the impact.  Own that it is your religion that is at the base of these things.  Acknowledge that the teachings lead to these results.  You can then clarify that you do not believe that those teachings are core with your beliefs or whatever your personal "truth" is with regard to the religion but the complete lack of ownership that so many Christians take to the evil that is done when certain people are taught some of the (minimally supportable) teachings is what leads to people posting more and more examples of this happening.

Quoting kailu1835:

Personally I think they're so insecure in their own beliefs that they have to poke sticks at others to make themselves feel better about believing something they aren't sure about.

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting kailu1835:

Some people just are vindictive.  It isn't odd to me at all, because these posts are posted by and filled with the posters you would expect.  Just skip it... you give it power.

Exactly.  I generally don't even open the posts---the titles alone turn me off. 

It's sad that people do this though, as the poster above said. 

What's the point of continuing to poke sticks at a certain group of people?  It just makes them look trite.

pixie92
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2012 at 11:40 AM
i dont see it as poking at one group. Christian is an umbrella term the groups are all different and believe different things. Westbro brand is not them normal group of christians i am used to knowing but they are christian. Why be offended or take it as an attack on your beliefs if its not your beliefs? why say they arent christian? they are even if other christians disagree with them. I personally think people in general need to remember there is bad apples in every group which includes religion. Christians should also keep up on what bad christians are doing so they can voice their thoughts on it all and show not all christians agree with the extrem ones.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KC33
by Kim on May. 3, 2012 at 11:59 AM
1 mom liked this

What I find funny and hypocritical is the bashing of religions by the people who cry when their own religion is the topic and being scrutinized.

But the most hilarious people on CM are the ones who deflect in a thread by pointing out the absurdity of another religion when defending their own.

Psychology says atheists have higher IQs when compared to people who embrace a religion and that study is very easy to believe on this website.

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on May. 3, 2012 at 12:20 PM
1 mom liked this
*gazes in awe at VVV's shiny hair*

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting newmom2be08:

I think people want to make Christians look like fools.  I get a VERY negative vibe toward Christians on this site.  That's my opinion and I'm stickin' to it! 

wink

I'm an atheist.  We are apparently the most hated and mistrusted of all people. 

Wanna compare negative vibes?  LOL

:smacks gum:

You're going to hell whether you believe in hell or not

:flips hair:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momniscient
by Ruby Member on May. 3, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting kailu1835:

Personally I think they're so insecure in their own beliefs that they have to poke sticks at others to make themselves feel better about believing something they aren't sure about.

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting kailu1835:

Some people just are vindictive.  It isn't odd to me at all, because these posts are posted by and filled with the posters you would expect.  Just skip it... you give it power.

What's the point of continuing to poke sticks at a certain group of people?  It just makes them look trite.

Perhaps so. 

I think I'd be insecure too if I had nothing to believe in. 

And as a Christian I think it is important to expose the insidiousness of hatred.

Why on earth would you make that leap in logic?

TCgirlatheart
by TC on May. 3, 2012 at 1:21 PM
2 moms liked this
Can agree with almost everything you've got here. I just have to add a "some" to the last paragraph. Some of the people who embrace a religion. I know quite a few believers on CM who are very intelligent.

Quoting KC33:

What I find funny and hypocritical is the bashing of religions by the people who cry when their own religion is the topic and being scrutinized.

But the most hilarious people on CM are the ones who deflect in a thread by pointing out the absurdity of another religion when defending their own.

Psychology says atheists have higher IQs when compared to people who embrace a religion and that study is very easy to believe on this website.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SuperChicken
by on May. 3, 2012 at 1:35 PM
6 moms liked this

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting kailu1835:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting kailu1835:

Perhaps so. 

I think I'd be insecure too if I had nothing to believe in. 

Oh man, lol.   This is a the best response ever by a Christian in a post they themselves made complaining that others are picking on their religious beliefs.    Kailu only gets second place because she's not the op.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN