Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Just an observance--oops, OBSERVATION! Thank you Professor V. ;)

by on May. 2, 2012 at 4:38 AM
Replies (101-110):
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on May. 3, 2012 at 8:40 PM
3 moms liked this

I cannot hold this in any longer!

ob·serv·ance

[uhb-zur-vuhns] Show IPA

noun

an act or instance of following, obeying, or conforming to: the observance of traffic laws.
a keeping or celebration by appropriate procedure, ceremonies, etc.: the observance of the sabbath.
a procedure, ceremony, or rite, as for a particular occasion: patriotic observances.
a rule or custom to be followed or obeyed; a customary practice.
Roman Catholic Church .
a.
a rule or discipline for a religious house or order.
b.
a house or order observing  a rule or discipline.

ob·ser·va·tion

[ob-zur-vey-shuhn] Show IPA
noun
an act or instance of noticing or perceiving.
an act or instance of regarding attentively or watching.
the faculty or habit of observing or noticing.
notice: to escape a person's observation.
an act or instance of viewing or noting a fact or occurrence for some scientific or other special purpose: the observation of blood pressure under stress.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on May. 3, 2012 at 8:40 PM
1 mom liked this

:sigh:

I feel better now!

Della529
by Matlock on May. 3, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting Lacey14:

I believe some of these threads to be defamation because the poster is trying to lead others into agreeing with them, that Christians are bad, wrong, lunatic or whatever.  The poster is trying to lead public opinion against a certain group of people.

This is the way I see it.

I'm not saying the stories are not deplorable, it makes me sick that anyone would believe that way, do those horrid things in the name of God....

but my point was, it DOES seem that there are those that will go out of their way to find articles that make Christians look bad or stupid. 

It does look like some just "have it out for" Christians. 

Good debate, ladies.  Thanks for keeping it decent.  ;)

You do realize there wouldn't be any articles to find if certain Christians wouldn't interpret scripture so outlandishly, right?

SLTmom
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2012 at 9:10 PM
After being on this website for a few years now.....NOTHING strikes me as odd anymore.

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on May. 3, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Quoting Raintree:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting PurpleCrayonz:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting Lacey14:

I believe some of these threads to be defamation because the poster is trying to lead others into agreeing with them, that Christians are bad, wrong, lunatic or whatever.  The poster is trying to lead public opinion against a certain group of people.

I'm not saying the stories are not deplorable, it makes me sick that anyone would believe that way, do those horrid things in the name of God....

but my point was, it DOES seem that there are those that will go out of their way to find articles that make Christians look bad or stupid. 

But you seem to ignore those who actually answer as to what is behind it, in order to continue to provide your own opinion on what it is about.

Christians in general appear to ignore these sorts of articles and simply dismiss that those who commit these evil acts do it in the name of the Christian God.

If Christians such as you and Kailu came into those posts and simply owned that there are people who do evil things as a result of some Christian teachings and made it clear that you disagree with those teachings, as you can see how certain groups are able to use them in such evil ways, it would reduce the numbers of postings on the topic.

Unfortunately, those who do post in there either defend it or simply say that they are obviously not Christians, which simply frustrates those who are trying to point out how dangerous the religion can be.

To then turn around and suggest that this is "mocking" or "derogatory" to your religion is simply untrue.  I think that those who truly value Christianity are the ones who should be leading the condemnation, not dimissing or defending it.

We see things differntly.  For me to not agree with the other's opinions doesn't mean I'm ignoring their opinion.  I posted this to GET opinions.  I don't have to agree with your opinion just cuz you've put it out there, right?  ;)

But the perception that other people have of Christians isn't in the realm of your opinion. If someone perceives that you or Christianity in general are coming across a certain way- it is your chance to explain why their perception isn't the right one- not to just tell then that you disagree with their perception.

Thats' not going to lead anyone over to your side. That's just going to cement that you don't have an answer in the first place to counter their perception. And then they'll post more things.

PurpleCrayonz mentioned the exact point: If more CHristians were leading the battle against crazies in their midst, (instead of being upset about people's generalizations), the generalizations would become more difficult. As it stands, they aren't always that far off the mark.

Rain, I have learned that it's just futile to try and talk with folks that have their minds made up.  I am told to move on and ignore such negative posts...and that's what I see is best to do.  People will keep their negative stereotypes against Christians no matter what you try to say. 

And I have tried.  I just get ridiculed for by opinions and beliefs. 

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on May. 3, 2012 at 10:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting Raintree:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting PurpleCrayonz:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting Lacey14:

But you seem to ignore those who actually answer as to what is behind it, in order to continue to provide your own opinion on what it is about.

Christians in general appear to ignore these sorts of articles and simply dismiss that those who commit these evil acts do it in the name of the Christian God.

If Christians such as you and Kailu came into those posts and simply owned that there are people who do evil things as a result of some Christian teachings and made it clear that you disagree with those teachings, as you can see how certain groups are able to use them in such evil ways, it would reduce the numbers of postings on the topic.

Unfortunately, those who do post in there either defend it or simply say that they are obviously not Christians, which simply frustrates those who are trying to point out how dangerous the religion can be.

To then turn around and suggest that this is "mocking" or "derogatory" to your religion is simply untrue.  I think that those who truly value Christianity are the ones who should be leading the condemnation, not dimissing or defending it.

We see things differntly.  For me to not agree with the other's opinions doesn't mean I'm ignoring their opinion.  I posted this to GET opinions.  I don't have to agree with your opinion just cuz you've put it out there, right?  ;)

But the perception that other people have of Christians isn't in the realm of your opinion. If someone perceives that you or Christianity in general are coming across a certain way- it is your chance to explain why their perception isn't the right one- not to just tell then that you disagree with their perception.

Thats' not going to lead anyone over to your side. That's just going to cement that you don't have an answer in the first place to counter their perception. And then they'll post more things.

PurpleCrayonz mentioned the exact point: If more CHristians were leading the battle against crazies in their midst, (instead of being upset about people's generalizations), the generalizations would become more difficult. As it stands, they aren't always that far off the mark.

Rain, I have learned that it's just futile to try and talk with folks that have their minds made up.  I am told to move on and ignore such negative posts...and that's what I see is best to do.  People will keep their negative stereotypes against Christians no matter what you try to say. 

I as a non religious person,  I am lucky to know a very open minded Christian person like yourself. you rock

www.cafemom.com/group/116692
toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on May. 3, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Quoting Della529:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting Lacey14:

You do realize there wouldn't be any articles to find if certain Christians wouldn't interpret scripture so outlandishly, right?

What does finding a whole string of articles posted to make Christians look like idiots have anything to do with how scripture is interpreted? 

It's not about the content of the articles, it's about the run on the posting of such articles.

This isn't about your darbydispensationalism at all, Della.  ;)

Raintree
by Ruby Member on May. 3, 2012 at 10:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting Raintree:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting PurpleCrayonz:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting Lacey14:

You've been ridiculed for saying you think "Christians" that do things like are listed in the OP aren't really speaking for Christ?

I find that very hard to believe.

Now, I have seen you get a hard time for putting up posts about abortion and using words like 'murder", etc. That I've seen.

Okay, so here: To quote a bible professor from college, "I CHALLENGE YOU" (only he was challenging me to a debate on the difference between jewelry and flashy ties and watches- he was against the former and for the latter). I challenge you to spend one week counteracting falsehoods that some Christians put out there, instead of complaining about posts talking about those folks. Be the voice of reason instead. I swear, if you're the voice of reason in one or two of those posts, I will back you all the way.

Oh, remind me.. I was meaning to send you a link I thought you might enjoy viewing. I just haven't done it yet. Because I've been running around like chicken sans head.

Raintree
by Ruby Member on May. 3, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting Della529:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting Lacey14:

What does finding a whole string of articles posted to make Christians look like idiots have anything to do with how scripture is interpreted? 

It's not about the content of the articles, it's about the run on the posting of such articles.

This isn't about your darbydispensationalism at all, Della.  ;)

NO! Nononononononooooo!

You're missing the WHOLE point. Counteract the bad within your own faith, Poodles! If they're wrong, you need to go in there and BE the voice of reason.

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on May. 3, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Quoting Raintree:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting Raintree:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting PurpleCrayonz:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting Lacey14:

You've been ridiculed for saying you think "Christians" that do things like are listed in the OP aren't really speaking for Christ?

I find that very hard to believe.

Now, I have seen you get a hard time for putting up posts about abortion and using words like 'murder", etc. That I've seen.

Okay, so here: To quote a bible professor from college, "I CHALLENGE YOU" (only he was challenging me to a debate on the difference between jewelry and flashy ties and watches- he was against the former and for the latter). I challenge you to spend one week counteracting falsehoods that some Christians put out there, instead of complaining about posts talking about those folks. Be the voice of reason instead. I swear, if you're the voice of reason in one or two of those posts, I will back you all the way.

Oh, remind me.. I was meaning to send you a link I thought you might enjoy viewing. I just haven't done it yet. Because I've been running around like chicken sans head.

I don't have it in me to take on any more challenges.  I threw in the towel.  :/

Best to ignore it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)