Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Just an observance--oops, OBSERVATION! Thank you Professor V. ;)

by on May. 2, 2012 at 4:38 AM
Replies (91-100):
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on May. 3, 2012 at 7:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Woodbabe:

Its election season, it brings out the crazy and hateful in both sides. I just assume all of the anti-Christian posts will be followed shortly by anti-Republican posts related to Christians.

Redwall
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2012 at 7:43 PM

I love these conversations....

NWP
by guerrilla girl on May. 3, 2012 at 7:47 PM

I find most of the posts about religion biased and boring

PurpleCrayonz
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting Lacey14:

I believe some of these threads to be defamation because the poster is trying to lead others into agreeing with them, that Christians are bad, wrong, lunatic or whatever.  The poster is trying to lead public opinion against a certain group of people.

This is the way I see it.

I'm not saying the stories are not deplorable, it makes me sick that anyone would believe that way, do those horrid things in the name of God....

but my point was, it DOES seem that there are those that will go out of their way to find articles that make Christians look bad or stupid. 

It does look like some just "have it out for" Christians. 

Good debate, ladies.  Thanks for keeping it decent.  ;)

But you seem to ignore those who actually answer as to what is behind it, in order to continue to provide your own opinion on what it is about.

Christians in general appear to ignore these sorts of articles and simply dismiss that those who commit these evil acts do it in the name of the Christian God.

If Christians such as you and Kailu came into those posts and simply owned that there are people who do evil things as a result of some Christian teachings and made it clear that you disagree with those teachings, as you can see how certain groups are able to use them in such evil ways, it would reduce the numbers of postings on the topic.

Unfortunately, those who do post in there either defend it or simply say that they are obviously not Christians, which simply frustrates those who are trying to point out how dangerous the religion can be.

To then turn around and suggest that this is "mocking" or "derogatory" to your religion is simply untrue.  I think that those who truly value Christianity are the ones who should be leading the condemnation, not dimissing or defending it.

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on May. 3, 2012 at 7:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting PurpleCrayonz:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting Lacey14:

I believe some of these threads to be defamation because the poster is trying to lead others into agreeing with them, that Christians are bad, wrong, lunatic or whatever.  The poster is trying to lead public opinion against a certain group of people.

I'm not saying the stories are not deplorable, it makes me sick that anyone would believe that way, do those horrid things in the name of God....

but my point was, it DOES seem that there are those that will go out of their way to find articles that make Christians look bad or stupid. 

But you seem to ignore those who actually answer as to what is behind it, in order to continue to provide your own opinion on what it is about.

Christians in general appear to ignore these sorts of articles and simply dismiss that those who commit these evil acts do it in the name of the Christian God.

If Christians such as you and Kailu came into those posts and simply owned that there are people who do evil things as a result of some Christian teachings and made it clear that you disagree with those teachings, as you can see how certain groups are able to use them in such evil ways, it would reduce the numbers of postings on the topic.

Unfortunately, those who do post in there either defend it or simply say that they are obviously not Christians, which simply frustrates those who are trying to point out how dangerous the religion can be.

To then turn around and suggest that this is "mocking" or "derogatory" to your religion is simply untrue.  I think that those who truly value Christianity are the ones who should be leading the condemnation, not dimissing or defending it.

I get ignored or called out a lot. I am a Christian and I find the slippery slopes to be dangerous and I can usually be counted on to say something.

This kind of thing is why I am very vocal about attitudes like "hate the sin, love the sinner." Hate? Hatred of any sort leads to dead babies and beat up gay folks.

Usually in these debates and discussions the attitude is that I am not the right kind of Christian.

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on May. 3, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Quoting NWP:

I find most of the posts about religion biased and boring

There ya go.

Simple.  :)

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on May. 3, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Quoting PurpleCrayonz:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting Lacey14:

We see things differntly.  For me to not agree with the other's opinions doesn't mean I'm ignoring their opinion.  I posted this to GET opinions.  I don't have to agree with your opinion just cuz you've put it out there, right?  ;)

Raintree
by Ruby Member on May. 3, 2012 at 8:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting PurpleCrayonz:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting Lacey14:

We see things differntly.  For me to not agree with the other's opinions doesn't mean I'm ignoring their opinion.  I posted this to GET opinions.  I don't have to agree with your opinion just cuz you've put it out there, right?  ;)

But the perception that other people have of Christians isn't in the realm of your opinion. If someone perceives that you or Christianity in general are coming across a certain way- it is your chance to explain why their perception isn't the right one- not to just tell then that you disagree with their perception.

Thats' not going to lead anyone over to your side. That's just going to cement that you don't have an answer in the first place to counter their perception. And then they'll post more things.

PurpleCrayonz mentioned the exact point: If more CHristians were leading the battle against crazies in their midst, (instead of being upset about people's generalizations), the generalizations would become more difficult. As it stands, they aren't always that far off the mark.

PurpleCrayonz
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting PurpleCrayonz:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting Lacey14:

I get ignored or called out a lot. I am a Christian and I find the slippery slopes to be dangerous and I can usually be counted on to say something.

This kind of thing is why I am very vocal about attitudes like "hate the sin, love the sinner." Hate? Hatred of any sort leads to dead babies and beat up gay folks.

Usually in these debates and discussions the attitude is that I am not the right kind of Christian.

I think that I have indicated that I appreciated your contributions in the past.  If I haven't done so in writing, I apologize for that.  I do very much admire how you approach these subjects.

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on May. 3, 2012 at 8:34 PM
Well thank you. I appreciate that.
I hope you don't think I was calling you out :) I was more just responding to the Christians here that feel persecuted if someone mentions that Christianity isn't all rainbows and unicorns.

I've enjoyed reading your thoughts in this post.

Quoting PurpleCrayonz:

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting PurpleCrayonz:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting Lacey14:

I think that I have indicated that I appreciated your contributions in the past.  If I haven't done so in writing, I apologize for that.  I do very much admire how you approach these subjects.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)