Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Have you seen the show?  Are you prepping for anything?  Do you think preppers are crazy?

I kind of am...I have 3 gallons of water and a bag of peanuts stashed away lol.  For a family of 6 lol.  I do want to get some good seeds that last a long time though.  My husband has watched this show with me a few times.  He now wants to create an underground shelter.  I think that'd be cool...but first I want him to put carpeting in the playroom.

by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:25 AM
Replies (11-20):
Alysse24
by on May. 2, 2012 at 10:11 AM

I love that show because it cracks me up.  I do find it disturbing when kids are involved, like the couple who moved their family away from the neighborhood and into the hills of nowhere....  I also was very disturbed by the trucker whose wife said that she's more afraid of dying from her cancer than from his doomsday scenario.  She squirrels away pills so that when hell breaks loose she'll still have her meds.  I question that tactic.

Our family is preppared for a zombie attack though, lol.  We have a get away plan, but have no food, water, or ammo, aside from a BB gun, and no bug-out bag either.  I guess we're screwed.

smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2012 at 10:23 AM
3 moms liked this

I consider myself more of a homesteader than a prepper. I have animals, grow and preserve a lot of food and have a well stocked pantry. I just personally don't trust the food supply much anymore especially where so much is being imported from China now. The plus side is I am prepared if there is a disruption. I personally don't want to deal with the crazy crowds before a storm. 

Tin Hatters
http://www.cafemom.com/group/101527
danie24
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2012 at 11:06 AM
1 mom liked this
I think people are crazy to NOT be prepared for something serious.

Anything can happen. A societal collapse of any kind. Long term power outage, natural disasters, etc

It's not hard to spend an extra 20-40 dollars a week on food, water and medical supplies and put them away. Supplies add up very quickly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stormcris
by Christy on May. 2, 2012 at 11:08 AM
2 moms liked this

I think being prepared is in everyone's best interest.

How many natural disasters have we had lately?

It is very good to be prepared.

iluv2meow
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:30 AM

there is a very huge difference between DOOMSDAY verses NATURAL DISASTERS that only affect a part of the world or country.

DOOMSDAY is suppose to wipe out the earth.

Quoting danie24:

Anything can happen. A societal collapse of any kind. Long term power outage, natural disasters, etc

It's not hard to spend an extra 20-40 dollars a week on food, water and medical supplies and put them away. Supplies add up very quickly.

smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2012 at 11:32 AM
2 moms liked this

If you watch the show, most of the scenarios aren't doomsday scenarios. It's things like New Madrid earthquake, hyperinflation, shut down of the grid, oil crisis, etc. 

Quoting iluv2meow:

there is a very huge difference between DOOMSDAY verses NATURAL DISASTERS that only affect a part of the world or country.

Quoting danie24:

Tin Hatters
danie24
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2012 at 11:35 AM
Exactly.

Quoting smalltowngal:

If you watch the show, most of the scenarios aren't doomsday scenarios. It's things like New Madrid earthquake, hyperinflation, shut down of the grid, oil crisis, etc. 

Quoting iluv2meow:

Quoting danie24:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iluv2meow
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:36 AM

those all sound like normal earth activities nothing new about them......

Say for example they all HAPPEN AT ONCE then ya you got severe DOOMS DAY issues.

If super volcano blows, we could suffer mass population death from starvation you can stock all you want but the more people that survive any form of Doomsday full or half, the suvivors will survive and live through ABSOLUTE hell and killed for everything they have...

Natural earth disasters is hardly considered DOOMSday to me.

Quoting smalltowngal:

Quoting iluv2meow:

Quoting danie24:

mom2the.rescue
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2012 at 11:38 AM

I agree some of those people are crazy, but some of them have valid points.  I saw one where the whole community worked together, and if certain disasters occurred, they'd be pretty happy.  Although they spent a lot of time stocking things and learning skills, they were still happy & able to sit back and relax.  Living in the now is fun, and works for the moment...but don't people prepare for tornadoes?  Don't kids have fire drills?  It's kind of similar :)

Quoting _Bama_:

I live in the now.  I think those people are crazy as hell and their children are being damaged by their stupidity. 

smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2012 at 11:38 AM

There is also a show called cupcake wars. TV show titles are often exaggerations. 

Quoting iluv2meow:

those all sound like normal earth activities nothing new about them......

Say for example they all HAPPEN AT ONCE then ya you got severe DOOMS DAY issues.

If super volcano blows, we could suffer mass population death from starvation you can stock all you want but the more people that survive any form of Doomsday full or half, the suvivors will survive and live through ABSOLUTE hell and killed for everything they have...

Natural earth disasters is hardly considered DOOMSday to me.

Quoting smalltowngal:

Tin Hatters
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)