Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

by on May. 2, 2012 at 3:48 PM
Replies (11-20):
GotSomeKids
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Yet, I've had two different doctors tell my son to stop eating fruit.

OP--do you have a source for the chart?  Would love to examine it more and maybe print up a copy for the frig.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on May. 2, 2012 at 6:02 PM

TY- good info.

GotSomeKids
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2012 at 6:02 PM
1 mom liked this

But, isn't that the point?  Eating better?  Plus, some foods have been proven to help especially those high in anti-oxidents, omega fatty acids, Vit D. 

Of course there are no guarentees, but I wouldn't call bullshit on the studies.  I call bullshit on the people who don't listen.

Quoting Tanya93:

Because it is bullshit.

A food doesn't combat cancer.   Living a healthy live can help prevent it, but even then there is no guarantee.  So yeah, saying beans combat cancer is jsut bullshit.

Quoting storkradio193:

Why?  Certain foods can slow cancer growth and help prevent cancer.  It's not like you can eat something and eliminate cancer after one has it, but foods can help before you get it.  Webmd has a whole article about this subject and specifically mentions broccoli and garlic among others that protect against specific types of cancer.

Quoting Tanya93:

I hate something saying a specific food combats cancer

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Some Extra Info: http://www.diet.com/store/facts/cancerfighting-foods

Quote:

It appears more than ever, that there is a great deal of truth to the philosophy of eating fruits and vegetables to maintain optimum health. It is not only because of the nutrients they contain in the form of vitamins and minerals, also because of the chemicals found in these foods. Scientists continue to extensively study the nutrient quality and quantity of foods we consume. Although scientists are still not certain about the specifics, they’re beginning to close in on the healthful constituents of plant-based foods. In particular, they’re looking closely at two components: phytochemicals and antioxidants The goal is to determine precisely how and why these substances in fruits and vegetables can prevent or stop the development of tumors and cancer When animals are given vegetables and fruits before being exposed to carcinogen (cancer-causing agents), they are less likely to develop cancer. Although additional experimental data needs to be collected in humans, there is evidence to suggest that consuming generous amounts of fruits and vegetables plays an important role in preventing cancer.

babiesbabybaby development

Tanya93
by on May. 2, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Yes, I want to see the studies that say eating beans when you have cancer helps combat it.

Totally.

Quoting GotSomeKids:

But, isn't that the point?  Eating better?  Plus, some foods have been proven to help especially those high in anti-oxidents, omega fatty acids, Vit D. 

Of course there are no guarentees, but I wouldn't call bullshit on the studies.  I call bullshit on the people who don't listen.

Quoting Tanya93:

Because it is bullshit.

A food doesn't combat cancer.   Living a healthy live can help prevent it, but even then there is no guarantee.  So yeah, saying beans combat cancer is jsut bullshit.

Quoting storkradio193:

Why?  Certain foods can slow cancer growth and help prevent cancer.  It's not like you can eat something and eliminate cancer after one has it, but foods can help before you get it.  Webmd has a whole article about this subject and specifically mentions broccoli and garlic among others that protect against specific types of cancer.

Quoting Tanya93:

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2012 at 6:05 PM
1 mom liked this

http://www.edinformatics.com/health_fitness/beans.htm 

ETA:

Quote:

The active ingredients in beans that scientists believe may play a role in cancer prevention include: saponins, protease inhibitors and phytic acid. These compounds, called phytochemicals, are found naturally in plants and appear to protect our cells from damage that can lead to cancer.

In laboratory studies, saponins have shown the ability to inhibit the reproduction of cancer cells and slow the growth of tumors in several different tissues. Protease inhibitors have slowed the division of cancer cells and helped to prevent tumors from releasing substances called proteases that destroy nearby cells. Phytic acid has shown the ability to significantly slow the progression of tumors.

Quoting Tanya93:

Yes, I want to see the studies that say eating beans when you have cancer helps combat it.

Totally.

Quoting GotSomeKids:

Quoting Tanya93:

Because it is bullshit.

Quoting storkradio193:

Quoting Tanya93:

GotSomeKids
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Well, not everything of course....LOL.  Plus, that is why I also asked the OP for the source of the chart.  But, I'm curious now.  I wonder if there has been a valid study on beans.  Off he top of my head, I know it "can" keep you "regular" which helps to keep food from rotting in your intestines, which can lead to cancer.

Probably has something to do with phytochemicals, which counteract free radicals.  I'd have to do more research.

:)

Quoting Tanya93:

Totally.

Quoting GotSomeKids:

Quoting Tanya93:

Because it is bullshit.

Quoting storkradio193:

Quoting Tanya93:

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2012 at 6:06 PM

If that's what you need to belive.  Science contradicts your belief though.

Quoting Tanya93:

Actually, I understand very well.

Beans don't combat cancer.   They just don't.

Quoting kailu1835:

You do not understand enough about how certain chemicals in foods work in the human body.  This stuff has been proven to be affective in the majority of cases (even if by a small percent) or they would not be allowed to state this.  FDA rules require you to prove your claim that your food combats certain things.

Quoting Tanya93:

Because it is bullshit.

Quoting storkradio193:

Quoting Tanya93:

Tanya93
by on May. 2, 2012 at 6:08 PM

straight from teh source

No single food or food substances can protect you against cancer.

Quoting kailu1835:

http://www.edinformatics.com/health_fitness/beans.htm 

Quoting Tanya93:

Totally.

Quoting GotSomeKids:

Quoting Tanya93:

Because it is bullshit.

Quoting storkradio193:

Quoting Tanya93:

jehosoba84
by Jenn on May. 2, 2012 at 6:09 PM

I have always stated and believed that God gave us everything we need to stay healthy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN