Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Seriously? Is this really child neglect??

Posted by   + Show Post

My 7 year old son wanted a corn dog for lunch today.  Instead of making him one like he wanted me too, I showed him how to make his own. Get a corn dog, put it on a plate, push number 1 on the microwave and Voila! You have lunch. My son wasn't happy about making his lunch but I figured it was high time for him to learn some independence.

Now the whole time I'm doing this, my Mil and Sil are talking and saying, "God! What kind of mother can't even make her own child something to eat?" And "That's child neglect I tell you." "She's lucky CPS doesn't get called on her."

You can't believe how hard it was not to whip around and tell those biatches off! I just keep telling myself 29 more days, 29 more days and i'm getting out of here!

by on May. 2, 2012 at 5:58 PM
Replies (171-180):
wickedfiress
by Kellie on May. 3, 2012 at 2:00 AM

It's not "neglectful" to expect a 7 year old to know how to manage making food on his or her own, at least a little bit, like using the microwave, making a sandwich, or bowl of cereal. 

Do they expect you to still wipe his ass for him too?

CityofRosesMama
by Member on May. 3, 2012 at 2:01 AM
1 mom liked this
At 7 years old it's good for him to learn. My 5 year old daughter enjoys helping me cook. At that age the kids can be very helpful.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SEEKEROFSHELLS
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2012 at 2:06 AM

Well, if she wipes it, it won't be with toilet paper, it will be with reusable wipes to save the planet! 7 yr old kids cook, and it is a show of independance, and living skills. What's wrong with that?

Quoting wickedfiress:

It's not "neglectful" to expect a 7 year old to know how to manage making food on his or her own, at least a little bit, like using the microwave, making a sandwich, or bowl of cereal. 

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on May. 3, 2012 at 2:46 AM

What's awesome is if you have a small flat bottomed bowl and you cook them, and then take them out and immediately put a slice of cheese on top and then cover with a pot holder.  Toast the bread while you're microwaving the eggs, put on your condiments of choice (mayo for me, mayo and mustard for Luke and Jim) and then use a fork to slide the cooked eggs onto the toasted bread, and whala!  Egg sandwich :)  Luke knows how to do all of that :D  (despite my husband freaking out about Luke possibly putting silverware into the toaster... seriously... do kids actually do that?  Neither of mine have ever even thought about it!)

Quoting paganbaby:

Yes, yes they are and oh I am so stealing that idea!

Ds bugs me for scrambled eggs every morning. I never even though to make them in the microwave.

Quoting kailu1835:

Your inlaws are idiots (though I think we've established that lol.  My son knows how to microwave scrambled eggs in the microwave, including how to keep it from bursting all over the inside.  He gets out his own eggs, cracks them, picks out any shell if necessary, puts it in the bowl, scrambles it, covers it, microwaves it half way, takes it out,stirs it a little, puts it back in to finish.  All by himself.  Meanwhile my husband is having a conniption fit because he is just SURE Luke is going to blow up the house lol

Kids thrive on being given responsibility, and honestly at 7 years old he should be able to do a lot more for himself than just microwaving meals.  Are you neglecting his home education??? rofl (just teasing)

babiesbabybaby development

Arroree
by Ruby Member on May. 3, 2012 at 2:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting KristinawithaK:

*edit* furthermore, I think it depends on the kid.  my son is so responsible, I would trust him with a chainsaw.  my daughter on the other hand...  I barely trust her with a spoon.

LMAO that's exactly how it is with my boys, the older one i could trust with just about anything, the younger one i have to drag to the bathroom with me or he destroys the house in the 2 minutes it takes me to pee.

Arroree
by Ruby Member on May. 3, 2012 at 3:01 AM

Quoting wickedfiress:

LOL. Vincent already pours his own bowl of cereal and if the carton isn't too heavy he can add the milk himself also. I just hover to keep it from getting poured all over *that almond milk gets pricey*  He also knows which buttons on the microwave to push for my lunches and his corndogs.

All that and he's only 5 :)

justkeeplaughin
by Member on May. 3, 2012 at 5:34 AM
1 mom liked this
the great thing about teaching them while they are young is that they enjoy learning! I hadn't thought about sewing. Mine doesn't rip alot he drips alot. He has stuff all over his clothes! He comes equipt with a TIDE stick! LOL

Quoting paganbaby:

Exactly! I'm working on teaching ds how to sew next. This kid rips up his clothes so often might as well teach him how to fix them, right? lol

Quoting justkeeplaughin:

LOL..He makes a mean omlette! There is no "woman's" work in this house. No need for him to go to college one day only knowing how to dial pizza hut for dinner. I think kids can do more than we think they can.

Quoting paganbaby:

See, that's the goal I'm working towards :-)

Quoting justkeeplaughin:

My son is 9 and he can make french toast, omletes, sausage links,and french bread pizza. He can also fix anything that goes in microwave. In fact, the reason why he gets up most morning is so he can fix breakfast! He loves it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AMBG825
by on May. 3, 2012 at 5:35 AM
1 mom liked this

They would hate coming to my house. My 11 yr old can make a full 5 course dinner. My 16 yr old routinely makes his own meals. Even my 5 yr old knows how to cook a few things.

andiemomo3
by Andie on May. 3, 2012 at 6:52 AM
Just checking . . . I didn't know if I was in some weird time slip talking to the OTHER paganbaby!

Quoting paganbaby:

Oh I hear ya there.

Quoting andiemomo3:

Seriously? My 8 and 9 year olds can make some basic stuff on their own. Scrambled eggs being one. They can boil water and make noodles. Microwave popcorn. The kiddos all have a shelf in the fridge and a shelf in the pantry that it is dedicated to their favorite foods. They are self-service areas. I am not a short order cook when they get hungry. I make lunch on weekends, supper all week and breakfast some of the time. The rest of the time, they know where the food is.

I think your SIL and MIL are drama queens.

Not to mention I am kind of amazed that you have corn dogs in your house. I didnt picture you as a corn dog buying kind of girl?

Oh I am so not,lol! I hate the damn things but Mil bought them and stuck them in the freezer knowing the kids love them (She does this to me all the time)

They were there and he was hungry and I figured only a little bit longer...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kate_Momof3
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2012 at 7:12 AM

Those women need to spend some time in the NICU with the babies who's mothers popped pills and mainlined heroin throughout their pregnancies. Maybe then they'll get an idea of what kind of neglect CPS is designed to deal with.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)