Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Seriously? Is this really child neglect??

Posted by   + Show Post

My 7 year old son wanted a corn dog for lunch today.  Instead of making him one like he wanted me too, I showed him how to make his own. Get a corn dog, put it on a plate, push number 1 on the microwave and Voila! You have lunch. My son wasn't happy about making his lunch but I figured it was high time for him to learn some independence.

Now the whole time I'm doing this, my Mil and Sil are talking and saying, "God! What kind of mother can't even make her own child something to eat?" And "That's child neglect I tell you." "She's lucky CPS doesn't get called on her."

You can't believe how hard it was not to whip around and tell those biatches off! I just keep telling myself 29 more days, 29 more days and i'm getting out of here!

by on May. 2, 2012 at 5:58 PM
Replies (11-20):
paganbaby
by Teflon Don on May. 2, 2012 at 6:12 PM
1 mom liked this

*Deep breath* Absolutely!

Quoting SWasson:

When you wake up in the morning, you can tell yourself, "28 more days."  Congrats on that, BTW, it sure sounds like you need to get OUT of there.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

acrogodess
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2012 at 6:14 PM
5 moms liked this
Wow. Then they must think it's awful that my kids know how to microwave foods, make sandwiches and use the toaster. They also know how to wash dishes and take out the trash and sweep. *gasp!* how dare we teach our kids to be self sufficient!?!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2012 at 6:14 PM

My 15 year old learned how to fry up chicken cutlets when he was 13. When I knew I was going to have a baby I taught him so that he wouldn't need to wait for me to be available if he was really hungry.

katzmeow726
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2012 at 6:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Shoot, I wish my parents had done that lol.  I didn't even really learn to cook until college ;-D

No mama, you're just fine in what you did.  I am "abusive and neglectful" as well.

My almost 3 year olds have lots of mini chores that they must do every day.
1) helm mommy make their beds in the morning, and after nap 

2) put their clothes, and some of the towels in the dryer.
3) Help hang up their clothes (really it ends up taking more time to do this, but I want to start the habit).
4) pick up their room toys a) before bed , b) before leaving the room in they made a mess in the morning c) any other time that they leave the room.

5) Put away atoy when they are finished using it down stairs.
6) put their dishes in the dishwasher.

7) use the "mini vac" to help mommy vaccum.

8) put their dirty clothes in the clothes basket,

9) help clean any mess they make

Apparently that is asking "just way too much" according to some.   

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on May. 2, 2012 at 6:16 PM

If that's the case then I'm going to call hypocrite. Sil also stays home and her dad takes care of her 20 month old dd 95% of the time. He feeds her, bathes her, takes her for walks, puts her to sleep. The only time Sil ever has her is when Fil is going pee or having a smoke. Her excuse is that she's depressed and pregnant.

Quoting Tanya93:

I am not agreeing with them.

But they are probably saying that because you don't work outside home and don't feel like making your kids lunch when you are now homeschooling them.

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on May. 2, 2012 at 6:17 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL! I know right?

Quoting acrogodess:

Wow. Then they must think it's awful that my kids know how to microwave foods, make sandwiches and use the toaster. They also know how to wash dishes and take out the trash and sweep. *gasp!* how dare we teach our kids to be self sufficient!?!

raegan1221
by on May. 2, 2012 at 6:18 PM
2 moms liked this

hahaha WOW. They are confused obviously. It's good for children to learn to do those things..Ds is 6 and makes his own plate like that sometimes..takes the trash out, cleans his room...mows the lawn (with supervision) etc...

spiritedTessa2
by on May. 2, 2012 at 6:18 PM
3 moms liked this

OMG How DARE you, his mother, try to use everyday living as a teachable moment to become a self sufficient person! We parents aren't put here on this earth to gently train our children to become productive and conscientious adults, we're here to cater to their every whim until, eventually, we pass on on they realize at 46 years old that they can't work a damned microwave!

Scarlett82
by Member on May. 2, 2012 at 6:19 PM
6 moms liked this

Look up the number for CPS and next time they make those comments, give them the number and walk away. CPS won't do anything but the look on their face would be priceless

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on May. 2, 2012 at 6:19 PM

And that's how you do it. Good for you!

Quoting lizmarie1975:

My 15 year old learned how to fry up chicken cutlets when he was 13. When I knew I was going to have a baby I taught him so that he wouldn't need to wait for me to be available if he was really hungry.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)