Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Seriously? Is this really child neglect??

Posted by   + Show Post

My 7 year old son wanted a corn dog for lunch today.  Instead of making him one like he wanted me too, I showed him how to make his own. Get a corn dog, put it on a plate, push number 1 on the microwave and Voila! You have lunch. My son wasn't happy about making his lunch but I figured it was high time for him to learn some independence.

Now the whole time I'm doing this, my Mil and Sil are talking and saying, "God! What kind of mother can't even make her own child something to eat?" And "That's child neglect I tell you." "She's lucky CPS doesn't get called on her."

You can't believe how hard it was not to whip around and tell those biatches off! I just keep telling myself 29 more days, 29 more days and i'm getting out of here!

by on May. 2, 2012 at 5:58 PM
Replies (211-220):
Tanya93
by on May. 3, 2012 at 1:26 PM

my son would have to get out the stepladder in order to use the microwave when he is 5-6-7.

Sexymom22
by Member on May. 3, 2012 at 1:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Gee I had no idea teaching your child self reliance and independence was child neglect. Just because you teach him how to make one thing? I would of had a hard time holding my tonuge if I was you. I guess I'm lucky my inlaws aren't like that.

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on May. 3, 2012 at 2:26 PM

We don't put anything in the bowl, but then the bowl we use doesn't seem to make the eggs stick too much.  You do have to wash it right away though, or you'll be soaking it for a VERY long time lol

Quoting paganbaby:

We do! Now do you put butter in the bowl first? Or spray it with cooking spray?

And no, my kids have never put silverware in the toaster either,lol.

Quoting kailu1835:

What's awesome is if you have a small flat bottomed bowl and you cook them, and then take them out and immediately put a slice of cheese on top and then cover with a pot holder.  Toast the bread while you're microwaving the eggs, put on your condiments of choice (mayo for me, mayo and mustard for Luke and Jim) and then use a fork to slide the cooked eggs onto the toasted bread, and whala!  Egg sandwich :)  Luke knows how to do all of that :D  (despite my husband freaking out about Luke possibly putting silverware into the toaster... seriously... do kids actually do that?  Neither of mine have ever even thought about it!)

Quoting paganbaby:

Yes, yes they are and oh I am so stealing that idea!

Ds bugs me for scrambled eggs every morning. I never even though to make them in the microwave.

Quoting kailu1835:

Your inlaws are idiots (though I think we've established that lol.  My son knows how to microwave scrambled eggs in the microwave, including how to keep it from bursting all over the inside.  He gets out his own eggs, cracks them, picks out any shell if necessary, puts it in the bowl, scrambles it, covers it, microwaves it half way, takes it out,stirs it a little, puts it back in to finish.  All by himself.  Meanwhile my husband is having a conniption fit because he is just SURE Luke is going to blow up the house lol

Kids thrive on being given responsibility, and honestly at 7 years old he should be able to do a lot more for himself than just microwaving meals.  Are you neglecting his home education??? rofl (just teasing)

babiesbabybaby development

dustinsmom1
by JENN on May. 3, 2012 at 3:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Eh, they have to learn how to cook at come point. Microwaves the perfect place to start! :)

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on May. 3, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Not that put a smile on my face LOL

Quoting strongerthanB4:

Both those bitches would have had a corndog shoved up their asses!!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Malachismom2011
by New Member on May. 3, 2012 at 4:49 PM
At some point they have to learn to do things for themselves. They can't live at home forever !
paganbaby
by Teflon Don on May. 3, 2012 at 5:01 PM

My kids just use a chair.

Quoting Tanya93:

my son would have to get out the stepladder in order to use the microwave when he is 5-6-7.

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on May. 3, 2012 at 5:03 PM

He just made them! They stuck a little bit but nothing too bad. You should have seen him :-) He was so proud of his scrambled eggs. Now he said he wants to make his own breakfast in the morning.

That and he sewed the knee on his pants today too. My boy is on a roll!

Quoting kailu1835:

We don't put anything in the bowl, but then the bowl we use doesn't seem to make the eggs stick too much.  You do have to wash it right away though, or you'll be soaking it for a VERY long time lol

Quoting paganbaby:

We do! Now do you put butter in the bowl first? Or spray it with cooking spray?

And no, my kids have never put silverware in the toaster either,lol.

Quoting kailu1835:

What's awesome is if you have a small flat bottomed bowl and you cook them, and then take them out and immediately put a slice of cheese on top and then cover with a pot holder.  Toast the bread while you're microwaving the eggs, put on your condiments of choice (mayo for me, mayo and mustard for Luke and Jim) and then use a fork to slide the cooked eggs onto the toasted bread, and whala!  Egg sandwich :)  Luke knows how to do all of that :D  (despite my husband freaking out about Luke possibly putting silverware into the toaster... seriously... do kids actually do that?  Neither of mine have ever even thought about it!)

Quoting paganbaby:

Yes, yes they are and oh I am so stealing that idea!

Ds bugs me for scrambled eggs every morning. I never even though to make them in the microwave.

Quoting kailu1835:

Your inlaws are idiots (though I think we've established that lol.  My son knows how to microwave scrambled eggs in the microwave, including how to keep it from bursting all over the inside.  He gets out his own eggs, cracks them, picks out any shell if necessary, puts it in the bowl, scrambles it, covers it, microwaves it half way, takes it out,stirs it a little, puts it back in to finish.  All by himself.  Meanwhile my husband is having a conniption fit because he is just SURE Luke is going to blow up the house lol

Kids thrive on being given responsibility, and honestly at 7 years old he should be able to do a lot more for himself than just microwaving meals.  Are you neglecting his home education??? rofl (just teasing)

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on May. 3, 2012 at 5:04 PM

*Snort* Tell that to my Sil

Quoting Malachismom2011:

At some point they have to learn to do things for themselves. They can't live at home forever !

1985Supersport
by Member on May. 4, 2012 at 11:58 AM
1 mom liked this

There wasn't anything wrong with showing your son how to work a microwave. You Mil an Sil are just old-fashion an to them kids don't learn to cook till they're taller than the stove!  My grandson's 4 an he does his own food under adult supervision, of course!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN