Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Seriously? Is this really child neglect??

Posted by   + Show Post

My 7 year old son wanted a corn dog for lunch today.  Instead of making him one like he wanted me too, I showed him how to make his own. Get a corn dog, put it on a plate, push number 1 on the microwave and Voila! You have lunch. My son wasn't happy about making his lunch but I figured it was high time for him to learn some independence.

Now the whole time I'm doing this, my Mil and Sil are talking and saying, "God! What kind of mother can't even make her own child something to eat?" And "That's child neglect I tell you." "She's lucky CPS doesn't get called on her."

You can't believe how hard it was not to whip around and tell those biatches off! I just keep telling myself 29 more days, 29 more days and i'm getting out of here!

by on May. 2, 2012 at 5:58 PM
Replies (31-40):
Bncholbert
by Member on May. 2, 2012 at 6:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Im still not understanding how asking a child to push a button on the microwave is so horrid. Id be a bit more concerned that the lunch was a microwave deal vs fresh and nutruitious IF I was going to be so bold as to make an ignorant comment in the first place! And dont get me wrong, I love me some corn dogs LOL im jus saying I could better understand an issue with WHAT was fed vs who prepared it! Did granny and auntie run to the rescue and push the button for the kid? Doesnt sound like it so they should put a zipper on it!

Quoting Tanya93:

I am not agreeing with them.

But they are probably saying that because you don't work outside home and don't feel like making your kids lunch when you are now homeschooling them.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
paganbaby
by Teflon Don on May. 2, 2012 at 6:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Swear to God that is how she raised her children. Dh can't cook to save his life. Anytime I've been sick he orders out. As for her dd (Sil) That's what fast food, mommy and daddy are for *eye roll*

Quoting spiritedTessa2:

OMG How DARE you, his mother, try to use everyday living as a teachable moment to become a self sufficient person! We parents aren't put here on this earth to gently train our children to become productive and conscientious adults, we're here to cater to their every whim until, eventually, we pass on on they realize at 46 years old that they can't work a damned microwave!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

erika9009
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2012 at 6:28 PM

OMG!!!

I'm guessing the SIL kids are going to be living at home until 40!!

I think you are a wonderful mom for teaching your son how to cook.  I will brag and say my now 14 yr old has made a lasagna from scratch (including the sauce).  My 12 yr old boy can BBQ burgers, hot dogs and chicken well. 

Bncholbert
by Member on May. 2, 2012 at 6:28 PM
Do we have the same MIL?! O_o lmao!!!

Quoting paganbaby:

Swear to God that is how she raised her children. Dh can't cook to save his life. Anytime I've been sick he orders out. As for her dd (Sil) That's what fast food, mommy and daddy are for *eye roll*

Quoting spiritedTessa2:

OMG How DARE you, his mother, try to use everyday living as a teachable moment to become a self sufficient person! We parents aren't put here on this earth to gently train our children to become productive and conscientious adults, we're here to cater to their every whim until, eventually, we pass on on they realize at 46 years old that they can't work a damned microwave!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hoping4girl33
by on May. 2, 2012 at 6:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Wtf he's 7yrs old not two and you was standing there the whole time supervising him. They act like it was the stove some people just need to mind there own business. There is nothing wrong with what you did.
paganbaby
by Teflon Don on May. 2, 2012 at 6:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Omg, I am soo going to do that! LOL

Quoting Scarlett82:

Look up the number for CPS and next time they make those comments, give them the number and walk away. CPS won't do anything but the look on their face would be priceless

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2012 at 6:30 PM
2 moms liked this

Teaching your child to do things for himself is child neglect?  Holy crap, CPS should be on my doorstep any day.  Both of my older two (7 and 6) can make a sandwich, make a box of macaroni and cheese (I dump it into the colander for them), fry an egg, and make pancakes from Bisquick mix.  They can also wash, rinse, and put away the dishes.

But, you know what else?  They're also confident, know they can do things for themselves, and are not afraid to try new things.  Their 8-year-old friend who lives down the street still can't tie his shoes and only stopped needing me to physically put them on his feet when it was time to take him home last year.  To be clear, there is nothing physically or developmentally wrong with him.

You keep teaching your son to do things.  It's good for kids.

Taurus_Girl78
by on May. 2, 2012 at 6:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow lol !! That isn't child neglect at all. That is teaching him  responsibilities and how to take care of himself when needed too.There is nothing wrong with that at all in my book.

Citygirlk
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2012 at 6:31 PM
Its not abuse its called teaching independence I mean he has to learn one day right, mommy cant always be there to do things for you. By the time I was his age I was washing dishes, sweeping mopping and cooking stove top mac and cheese
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KedrynsMommie
by Member on May. 2, 2012 at 6:31 PM
Holy shit.. you know my mil and sil! My sil called cps on me because ds went to bed at 4 pm.

He was sick and going through his fighting off naps phase. So yeah at just over a year old i let him sleep when he wanted! Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)