Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

A Peaceful Person

Trayvon’s family and friends have consistently stated that he was a peaceful person. Kindhearted, even-tempered and thoughtful are the adjectives the New York Times reported that the late teen’s loved ones used to describe him. Trayvon’s mother, Sybrina Fulton, told New York Times columnist Charles Blow that Trayvon hadn’t had a physical confrontation with anyone since his preschool years. Moreover, Trayvon’s older brother Jahvaris Fulton—the person Trayvon fought with as 4-year-old—described his departed sibling to CNN as nonviolent.

His Build

George Zimmerman has said that he killed Trayvon in self-defense because he feared the teen would kill him. But Zimmerman reportedly outweighed the youth by 100 pounds. Although Trayvon Martin stood just under 6 feet 3 inches tall. He only weighed 140 pounds, according to the New York Times. His lankiness earned him the nickname “Slimm,” which he described himself as on the social networking site Twitter.

A Caretaker

Trayvon was by all accounts a caretaker. He spoon-fed his quadriplegic uncle, Ronald Fulton, when no nurse was on hand to do so. He also babysat his 3- and 7-year-old girl cousins, nicknamed the “bunnies.” He often baked cookies for them, his family told the Times. The night Trayvon was murdered, his father, Tracy Martin, was having dinner with fiancée Brandy Green. Trayvon was in Green’s home with her 14-year-old son, Chad. Before heading to the store, Trayvon asked the boy if he wanted anything. The answer? Skittles. The candy Trayvon died with was for someone else.

His Family

Trayvon’s family members have been praised for keeping their composure while grieving a very public loss. They counter many of the vicious stereotypes some have tried to impose on their slain love one. Trayvon’s mother, Sybrina Fulton, is an employee for Miami-Dade County’s housing agency. His father, Tracy Martin, is a truck driver. Fulton and Martin are now divorced. His brother, Jahvaris Fulton, 21, is a student at Florida International University. The lives Trayvon’s family members have led give every indication that the teenager would likewise attend college and pursue a career rather than carry on as the thug he’s been smeared as being by certain right-wing organizations and news outlets.

Intelligent and College-Bound

A white supremacist by the name of Klanklannon hacked into Travyon’s Gmail and social networking site accounts to expose him as a “thug” to the public. But this hacker’s mission backfired when the gossip website Gawker reported that his email was filled with messages about the late teen’s interest in college and aeronautics. “A screenshot of Trayvon’s Gmail inbox our source provided us is heartbreaking,” Gawker writer Adrian Chen wrote. “Martin apparently used his Gmail account for his college search, and it’s filled with emails about upcoming SAT tests and scholarship applications. (‘Trayvon, now is the best time to take the SATs!’) One email included the results of a career aptitude test, our source said. It ‘talked about his interest in aeronautics and stuff.’” Both Trayvon’s mother and brother have remarked that he’d taken honors classes.

Hobbies and Interests

Like many teens, Trayvon had a series of hobbies and interests. He counted the edgy television show “South Park,” the music of Bob Marley and the athleticism of LeBron James among his favorites. He liked to play sports himself and typical teenage jaunts to the mall. He especially liked his mother’s everyman dish of hamburgers and French fries. Count brownies with lots of nuts as his guilty pleasure, his grandmother told the New York Times. He earned money by painting houses, washing cars and working Pee Wee football league games.

Link

Certain people have worked so hard to villainize Trayvon Martin I thought he deserved to have people know who he really was and who he was on the way to becoming, if he hadn't been killed in cold blood.

by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:57 PM
Replies (111-118):
Jessie2664
by on May. 7, 2012 at 11:17 PM

context, learn it..........

Shortiekt
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2012 at 11:32 PM
Also the word is grammar unless you mean Kelsey or the town in Indiana... Then the word is Grammer.
Quoting Jessie2664:

My viewpoints on race are none!  Those savory ideas you speak about are your own perceptions, which you are entitled to have.  Even though they may be wrong, but who cares, i certainly don't!  

and it's peace, not piece.......  You'd think you'd know proper grammer.

Quoting Shortiekt:

Perception is reality. I'm just being blunt with you, but doing it tactfully. I don't know your view points on race or anything else, but the way you project yourself lends to unsavory ideas. Like you stated... It doesn't bother you how I perceive you to be.. So conversation over. You said your piece and I gave mine.

Quoting Jessie2664:

I really don't care if you're not impressed.  It is your problem how you arrived with the final conclusion and emphasis on which words, not mine.  

You also forgot the asians.  

Everyone breathes, and bleeds.  Stop making into something it's not.  I never said ALL BLACKS beat the man.  Stop interjecting your theory of how you want to spin your view points that you'd like to say i have.  

We're all individuals and human beings.  I see people!

I find this negativity a total tragedy to say the least.  

Quoting Shortiekt:

I'm not impressed so we've reached a common denominator. It's not how I take it... It's how you give it. 'The blacks' 'the whites' 'the Hispanics' are all grouping terms that lend to the idea that we are not individuals. Did some black Americans commit a crime against their white neighbor... Yes, but not all black people subscribe to their way of thinking nor condone their actions. So the only a group should be addressed as 'the blacks' are when speaking of breathing and bleeding because that's the only thing all black people do alike.

Quoting Jessie2664:

Ya see this is the internet and i don't have to conduct myself in a proper manner if thats how you want to perceive it to be.  I can't help how you take it.  I'm not here to impress anyone because none of you pay my bills.  

I wasn't being offensive by stating the race of who beat the man to a pulp.  

I've been at my job for 25+ yrs, so it don't bother me what anyone on a screen types.  No one has that power over me.  I leave my job at work!  

Quoting Shortiekt:

It is protocol in the LEA I work for... I'm noe definitive of the procedures of all LEAs.

Yes the beating of that man by his neighbors was abominable, but the story began before the Martin-Zimmerman shooting.

It's one thing to be blunt, it's another to be offensive. Your blunt attitude does not bother me... your un-educated response does... Especially considering you work for a judicial system. I hope you conduct yourself better at work than you represent your entire count/state here.

Quoting Jessie2664:

Quoting Shortiekt:

He has a criminal record... it just doesn't have any convictions.

I'm not sure what court system you work for, but if you do I wonder...

I work for an LEA and your knowledge isn't reflected in your posts.

Being privy to the court system do you truly believe the police used standard protocol during the investigation when they failed to provide a drug/alcohol test for the admitted shooter?Why would they do a test? Do you think they do that at every shooting?  They don't!!

We discussed that man and his neighbors fighting over the basketball.. this spat had been on-going between the neighbors prior to the Trayvon-Zimmerman shooting. Both parties did undesirable things... It was not in the name of Trayvon. It was foolishly stated after the fact.

It does not negate the fact it was said, and yes it was stupid, but what did the guy deserve by asking them to move again?  ugh!!  Again i wasn't privy to your conversation, nor do i spend my life on cm reading all the bullshit that has tons of opinions that mean absolutely nothing!

I have yet to call anyone on CM a racist, but your blanket terms of the 'blacks' has me exceedingly close to using the word, but I digress.

why because I pointed out a race and was blunt about it?   I really don't give a rats ass what you call me.  I really don't care about opinions, just facts!!  It must have bothered you that i was blunt about my questions!!

I find it appalling that this shit happens in todays world.   

Quoting Jessie2664:

GZ has no criminal record or he wouldn't be able to have a gun in the first place.  UGH. 

No i didn't read any post on the broken nose and cuts, because he had them, they are in the police report, in black and white.  Kinda hard to say they didn't exist.  

Trayvon was suspend for having an empty baggy of weed, and the presence of weed in school.  10 days is not his first offense.  I work in the court system, please.....  

Yes the violence is escalating because 20-30 blacks beat a white man for asking them to move off the street so he could get in his driveway while they played basketball.  Another one was beaten almost to death and all for trayvon.  You hear no outcry from Jackson or Sharpton.  Who do you think beat the white men, asians?  No blacks did it.  Did you think i'd blame someone else when blacks were the ones who did it in the name of trayvon?  WTF is wrong with Jackson and Sharpton stepping up to a news conference and saying one life is not worth another persons life?  What is the matter with people these days that you want to cry about trayvon but to kill other people who had nothing to do with it is ok?  There are serious issues with your mental capacity!!

Maybe your community is violent, but mine is not.  I have brains not to fight violence with violence.  It only puts more people in the morgue. Apparently since the blacks don't understand that, or they wouldn't be beating people to a pulp in the name of trayvon, they need to be told not to fight violence with violence. 

I asked questions, and didn't choose either side, but stated it was a tragedy.  How do you get I sided with GZ out of that is beyond me.   

I want facts, not bullshit opinions.  But i like how one paints a picture of pure innocence when no one is, not even trayvon.  

Quoting Raintree:

We've hashed out the 'cuts' and 'broken nose' on what is now thousands of pages on CM.

The facts are that we've got one dead victim- a dead, barely 17 year old victim with- now hear this!- Zero criminal record. He'd never been arrested or charged for anything. There were no drugs in his system that night. He was unarmed.

We've got a shooter with a violent past. Who had a gun. Who followed a kid walking home from the 7-11. Who shot the kid in what has now become a very confusing story of 'self-defense'. We've discussed the broken nose and cuts that required no visit to the ER that night. I encourage you to read some of the other posts on this subject before you begin, I don't know, blaming the shooting on the dead victim. The dead victim who was still a child.

Which is exactly what you're doing. I know, it must be, automatically and fully, the fault of the black community because there and only there (?) the 'violence is escalating!'. Please. Our society IS a violent one. In full. All of it. And has been for a very long time.

Your view is extremely one-sided.

Quoting Jessie2664:

Although i find this a tragic event, Why isn't anyone addressing the fact that GZ had a broken nose and cuts on the back of his head?  

GZ's past has nothing to do with this incident because he wasn't found guilty of the charges.  

Why isn't anyone addressing the violence that has led to more violence on innocent people who had nothing to do with this incident?  It's only going to lead to more people being shot and killed because sooner or later these senseless beatings are going to escalate into meeting up with the wrong person and you'll have more trayvons which to me is stupid.  

Why isn't Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton marching and rioting for the black youth to stop the violence that is escalating?  How can they stand by and allow them to beat innocent people in the name of trayvon? Kinda hypocrital don't ya think?  

I can't understand why Trayvons parents weren't mourning, they were busy copyrighting his name in the sake of monetary gain.  

Either way you look at it, One child is gone and there is going to be more to come if it continues down the same path.  You can't fight violence with violence, but i'd think most would know that by now, apparently some are not raised properly and look the fool they are.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sisteract
by Whoopie on May. 7, 2012 at 11:52 PM
1 mom liked this

It appears it's night time again. And we all know...The Freaks Come Out At Night.

free1
by ~FreeSpirit~ on May. 13, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Trayvon Martin’s Mom Gets 8 Months Donated Vacation Time               

Miami-Dade County employees donated more than $40,000 of vacation time, according to reports

Sunday, May 13, 2012 updated 5:40 pm EDT                                              Trayvon's Mom Gets 8 Months Donated Vacation

Trayvon Martin's parents Sybrina Fulton and Tracy Martin, attend a news conference at the Washington Convention Center in Washington, Wednesday, April 11, 2012.

Trayvon Martin's mother will be able to take about eight months paid vacation after a generous donation by her fellow Miami-Dade County employees, according to reports.

Sybrina Fulton, a 23-year veteran of the Miami-Dade County housing authority, received $40,825 of donated vacation time, The Miami Herald reported.

The donations came after the county commission approved a resolution authorizing employees to donate their vacation time to Fulton or Yolanda Knight Evans, Trayvon's aunt and a customer-service representative, the newspaper said.

According to records, 192 employees donated their hours to Fulton and 70 employees donated to Evans.

The money is in addition to the $100,000 raised at rallies and online that the family plans to use to form a criminal justice advocacy foundation in Martin's name.

George Zimmerman, who has been charged with second-degree murder in the shooting death of Martin, also raised more than $200,000 on a website to pay for his legal defense, according to his attorney.

I think the eight months vacation time with pay is  well deserved for Trayvon Martin's Mother.

p1r4t3cr0pc1rcl
by on May. 13, 2012 at 9:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I feel for his family. What was done to him was wrong, and the guy got off, if it were the other way around, it would not have been that easy for him,

I hope that the family will heal well from this. 

free1
by ~FreeSpirit~ on May. 18, 2012 at 3:52 PM

March 23, 2012 9:14 AM
  •  

Trayvon Martin's father: "He saved my life"

CBS News) The father of Trayvon Martin, the unarmed black teenager who was fatally shot last month by a neighborhood watch volunteer, said his son was his hero for saving his life in a fire when the boy was 9 years old.

The boy's parents appeared on "CBS This Morning" on Friday, a day after thousands attended a rally in Sanford, Fla., calling for the arrest of George Zimmerman.

Trayvon's father Tracy Martin told Charlie Rose how his son had once rescued him: "At the age of 9, he pulled me out of a fire, went back in the house, got the phone, came back out, called 911. He saved my life.

"And at his time of need, I wasn't there to save his life," he said. "But I pledge my life to continue to push forward until we get justice for my son."

Tracy described his boy as a "very bright young man. Trayvon loved his life. He loved his family. Very upbeat kid, mild, laid back. Never been in a run-in. Never had any run-ins with the law. Trayvon was a people's person. He was my hero and he'll be sadly missed."

Speaking of Thursday's rally, Martin said, "To hear everyone out there in the crowd screaming Trayvon's name, it just made us feel that Trayvon's life did matter in the world. The world knows Trayvon now."

Growing outcry over Trayvon Martin's death
Trayvon Martin parents call for shooter's arrest
Online hoodie photos show anger at Fla. shooting

Trayvon's mother, Sybrina Fulton, told Gayle King that her son also respected police.

"Trayvon has a grandfather that is a retired police officer in Miami, so he knows to respect authority," Fulton said. "He knows about the police, he's not afraid of the police. However, he's seen this guy (Zimmerman) as a stranger, so of course he's going to try to run. He's going to try to get away. He's going to try to avoid any situation. And that's what we really believe, that he was really trying to get away."

Fulton said what she and Tracy Martin want is an arrest in the shooting. "We want George Zimmerman arrested for this crime," she said.

She said she herself has not heard from Zimmerman, "but this is an open investigation and I'm sure they're going to be talking to him very soon."

To watch the complete interview with Tracy Martin and Sybrina Fulton click on the video player above.

Rally sentiment: Justice for Fla. teen's killing

free1
by ~FreeSpirit~ on May. 18, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Intelligent and College-Bound

A white supremacist by the name of Klanklannon hacked into Travyon’s Gmail and social networking site accounts to expose him as a “thug” to the public. But this hacker’s mission backfired when the gossip website Gawker reported that his email was filled with messages about the late teen’s interest in college and aeronautics. “A screenshot of Trayvon’s Gmail inbox our source provided us is heartbreaking,” Gawker writer Adrian Chen wrote. “Martin apparently used his Gmail account for his college search, and it’s filled with emails about upcoming SAT tests and scholarship applications. (‘Trayvon, now is the best time to take the SATs!’) One email included the results of a career aptitude test, our source said. It ‘talked about his interest in aeronautics and stuff.’” Both Trayvon’s mother and brother have remarked that he’d taken honors classes.

Trayvon was interested in aeronautics and was an honor student.  It is so sad that this young man's life was taken so soon for No Apparent Reason.  

free1
by ~FreeSpirit~ on May. 18, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Certain people have worked so hard to villainize Trayvon Martin I thought he deserved to have people know who he really was and who he was on the way to becoming, if he hadn't been killed in cold blood.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)