Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Today is the National Day of Prayer -- and protest

Posted by on May. 3, 2012 at 6:54 AM
  • 39 Replies

The annual National Day of Prayer, mandated by Congress in 1952, is upon us and the usual folks are out with proclamations, prayers -- and protests.

President Obama issued his annual proclamation on Monday, making special mention of prayers for the military as befitted his surprise visit to Afghanistan.

... I invite all citizens of our Nation, as their own faith directs them, to join me in giving thanks for the many blessings we enjoy, and I call upon individuals of all faiths to pray for guidance, grace, and protection for our great Nation as we address the challenges of our time.

The very conservative evangelicals who control the privately-run celebration will do their thing. The coalition led by Shirley Dobson allows only people who agree with a specific Christian expression of prayer to take the microphone at their events although all are welcome to attend and say amen. People can find prayer events listed at the web site, including more than 300 in Texas alone.

This year's prayer theme is from Psalm 33: 12

Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord

And, as always, Americans United for Separation of Church and State is out with its 2012 version of their annual objections to the whole idea of state sanctioned prayer used "to promote a far-right religious-political agenda.

Rev. Barry W. Lynn, executive director of Americans United says,

Americans don't need to be told when or whether to pray...

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/Religion/post/2012/05/national-day-of-prayer-obama-dobson/1

by on May. 3, 2012 at 6:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
_Kissy_
by on May. 3, 2012 at 7:51 AM
3 moms liked this
prayer is better than exerting oneself to actually do something, I guess
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2012 at 8:24 AM
1 mom liked this

I like this quote...it openly speaks of faith and includes all faiths.  I find it sad that some choose to be offended by it.  I mean, aren't we all thankful for the good things in our lives, the tragedies we have survived?  I also find it sad that some people are so opposed to any faith they cannot even tolerate the thought of someone praying for them.  As for me, I pray every day.

... I invite all citizens of our Nation, as their own faith directs them, to join me in giving thanks for the many    blessings we enjoy, and I call upon individuals of all faiths to pray for guidance, grace, and protection for our great Nation as we address the challenges of our time.    

TCgirlatheart
by TC on May. 3, 2012 at 9:11 AM
2 moms liked this

Thank you for sharing.  I have to say, it's nice to see a group with a Reverend and a Rabbi on the board protesting this.  

~I ain't happy but, I'm feeling glad I got sunshine, in a bag I'm useless, but not for long The future is coming on~

TCgirlatheart
by TC on May. 3, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Are you speaking of people being offended in general, or something you read in the OP?

Quoting yourspecialkid:

I like this quote...it openly speaks of faith and includes all faiths.  I find it sad that some choose to be offended by it.  I mean, aren't we all thankful for the good things in our lives, the tragedies we have survived?  I also find it sad that some people are so opposed to any faith they cannot even tolerate the thought of someone praying for them.  As for me, I pray every day.

... I invite all citizens of our Nation, as their own faith directs them, to join me in giving thanks for the many    blessings we enjoy, and I call upon individuals of all faiths to pray for guidance, grace, and protection for our great Nation as we address the challenges of our time.    

~I ain't happy but, I'm feeling glad I got sunshine, in a bag I'm useless, but not for long The future is coming on~

jehosoba84
by Jenn on May. 3, 2012 at 9:28 AM
2 moms liked this

I wish people would get over themselves. Noone is forcing you to pray and no single belief is being supported.

At the same time, I dont see why we need a national day of prayer. Most who pray do so everyday anyway. Perhaps the day is encouraging unity? That could be done, and should, without prayer needing to be involved. We could all use a day dedicated to helping others.

TigOlBitties
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2012 at 9:30 AM
How the hell can this been seen as offensive?

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
futureshock
by Ruby Member on May. 3, 2012 at 10:00 AM

I agree.

Quote:

And, as always, Americans United for Separation of Church and State is out with its 2012 version of their annual objections to the whole idea of state sanctioned prayer used "to promote a far-right religious-political agenda.

futureshock
by Ruby Member on May. 3, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Quoting _Kissy_:

prayer is better than exerting oneself to actually do something, I guess

lol

futureshock
by Ruby Member on May. 3, 2012 at 10:03 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting TigOlBitties:

How the hell can this been seen as offensive?

Quoting yourspecialkid:

What is offensive is the government being involved in prayer.

JonJon
by Ruby Member on May. 3, 2012 at 11:57 AM
2 moms liked this

Protesting I can do.  I can protest anything, anytime.  Prayer, not so much.  Let's see; "Oh Great Spirit, I pray to you; please let me never run out of things to protest."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)