Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Today is the National Day of Prayer -- and protest

Posted by   + Show Post

The annual National Day of Prayer, mandated by Congress in 1952, is upon us and the usual folks are out with proclamations, prayers -- and protests.

President Obama issued his annual proclamation on Monday, making special mention of prayers for the military as befitted his surprise visit to Afghanistan.

... I invite all citizens of our Nation, as their own faith directs them, to join me in giving thanks for the many blessings we enjoy, and I call upon individuals of all faiths to pray for guidance, grace, and protection for our great Nation as we address the challenges of our time.

The very conservative evangelicals who control the privately-run celebration will do their thing. The coalition led by Shirley Dobson allows only people who agree with a specific Christian expression of prayer to take the microphone at their events although all are welcome to attend and say amen. People can find prayer events listed at the web site, including more than 300 in Texas alone.

This year's prayer theme is from Psalm 33: 12

Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord

And, as always, Americans United for Separation of Church and State is out with its 2012 version of their annual objections to the whole idea of state sanctioned prayer used "to promote a far-right religious-political agenda.

Rev. Barry W. Lynn, executive director of Americans United says,

Americans don't need to be told when or whether to pray...

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/Religion/post/2012/05/national-day-of-prayer-obama-dobson/1

by on May. 3, 2012 at 6:54 AM
Replies (21-30):
pansyprincess
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2012 at 3:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't understand why we need a national day of prayer.  If you are the praying type, pray.  If you aren't, don't.  But by definition it is exclusionary.  Having a national day of prayer MANDATED by congress doesn't sit well with me.

That being said, what Obama said is not offensive to me.  I have faith in people, so I give thanks to all the wonderful people in my life.  To some, prayer is no different than just throwing some thoughts out into the universe.  I find myself thinking and hoping things all the time.  Some may consider that like praying.  I have no problem asking for guidance ... but I'm usually just talking to myself saying "Hey, think about the problem, and I hope I come up with the right solution".

katzmeow726
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2012 at 4:24 PM

They're welcome to protest it, it's their right to do so.

I'm against teh day of prayer, but not because it's prayer.  I don't really take an issue with the president participating (but I understand why some do).  
   In addition to taking action (of course) those who do pray, should be praying for our nation every day.  Setting aside one day for it just seems wrong.  IF we're going to pray for our country in the first place, it should be daily.  NOt once a year IMO.  

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
cammibear
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2012 at 5:54 PM
1 mom liked this
You obviously don't understand how things worked back in the day. They didnt feel it necessary to include at the national level because all things religious were given over to the states to decide. Religion was all in the state constitutions and the state government had more power than the national government. People that rewrite history deliberately leave this out of their commentary. ;)

Quoting Jalestra:

And yet, for all that these men all gathered to sign a constitution in which they actively voted to keep god out of it...Actively voted AGAINST including him. When the man from Mass. (I believe it was Mass.) said that he figured that they should INCLUDE God in order to differentiate a "real" religion from all those other weirdo ones the majority vote was no, they shouldn't differentiate. 

:)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cammibear
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2012 at 5:58 PM
When people gather together to pray God is in their midst. While I absolutely agree with you that we should be praying daily for this country, I do think of that verse and think the more people praying for this country at the same time might be a good thing. Just my thoughts.

Quoting katzmeow726:

I'm against teh day of prayer, but not because it's prayer.  I don't really take an issue with the president participating (but I understand why some do).  
   In addition to taking action (of course) those who do pray, should be praying for our nation every day.  Setting aside one day for it just seems wrong.  IF we're going to pray for our country in the first place, it should be daily.  NOt once a year IMO.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
_Bama_
by on May. 3, 2012 at 6:14 PM
1 mom liked this

They had a bible reading marathon for about 3 weeks on the courthouse steps here... Im sure they had a big service up there this morning.   I think that would make non believers in Christianity very uncomfortable...

Godgaveme4
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Each of the classes did something special today.  One class walked around the school praying.  Before school all students and parents were invited to gather in front of the school to pray together.  It was nice to see pre-schoolers all the way up to  12th graders standing side by side praying for our country, our leaders, our school, our families and our community.  Very Special.

The kids pray every day at school but not always together as one big group.  They pray befroe they eat, when they they begin the day and when a special need arises.  But it was special to be together as a family offering thanks.

katzmeow726
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2012 at 9:46 PM

I know that verse...

But I mean what if, as a christian, you only prayed once a year?

Doesn't that seem a little minimal? 

Quoting cammibear:

When people gather together to pray God is in their midst. While I absolutely agree with you that we should be praying daily for this country, I do think of that verse and think the more people praying for this country at the same time might be a good thing. Just my thoughts.

Quoting katzmeow726:

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Quoting TCgirlatheart:

Are you speaking of people being offended in general, or something you read in the OP?

Quoting yourspecialkid:

I like this quote...it openly speaks of faith and includes all faiths.  I find it sad that some choose to be offended by it.  I mean, aren't we all thankful for the good things in our lives, the tragedies we have survived?  I also find it sad that some people are so opposed to any faith they cannot even tolerate the thought of someone praying for them.  As for me, I pray every day.

... I invite all citizens of our Nation, as their own faith directs them, to join me in giving thanks for the many    blessings we enjoy, and I call upon individuals of all faiths to pray for guidance, grace, and protection for our great Nation as we address the challenges of our time.    

I am speaking of people in general.  I think this is a nice question.

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Quoting TigOlBitties:

How the hell can this been seen as offensive?

Quoting yourspecialkid:

I like this quote...it openly speaks of faith and includes all faiths.  I find it sad that some choose to be offended by it.  I mean, aren't we all thankful for the good things in our lives, the tragedies we have survived?  I also find it sad that some people are so opposed to any faith they cannot even tolerate the thought of someone praying for them.  As for me, I pray every day.

... I invite all citizens of our Nation, as their own faith directs them, to join me in giving thanks for the many    blessings we enjoy, and I call upon individuals of all faiths to pray for guidance, grace, and protection for our great Nation as we address the challenges of our time.    

You have got me!  But for some reason people do find it offensive.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on May. 3, 2012 at 9:50 PM

bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN