Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Finally, something to make me proud of Alabama's government.

Posted by   + Show Post

Lawmakers Vote to Keep Protests Away From Funerals

MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) - The Alabama Senate has given final approval to a bill that will prohibit protestors from getting within 1,000 feet of funerals for fallen soldiers or other victims.

The Senate voted 33-0 Wednesday for the bill by Republican Rep. DuWayne Bridges of Valley, a former U.S. Marine and a Vietnam veteran. It now goes to Gov. Robert Bentley for his review.

The bill calls for a violator to be sentenced to up to a year in jail for the first offense.

Bridges said he proposed the law because members of a Kansas church have protested at funerals for soldiers and for victims of highly publicized accidents and crimes.

House Speaker Mike Hubbard said the bill protects the free speech rights of protestors while allowing families of victims their privacy.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:40 AM
Replies (11-20):
katzmeow726
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2012 at 1:42 PM
And pardon the lousy typing...bit thumbs, small phone buttons, and auto correct is a bad mix

Quoting katzmeow726:

I am not grouping them. Our governor, however is on the extreme right. He may b more classy that wbc, but he has made clear that his a.bigot.

I have no issue with conservatives and was not, by any means, grouping them with westboro

Quoting GertieK:

Do not group conservatives in with those kind of crazy idiots.  Most conservatives are extremely patriotic and would never get caught anywhere close to being a part of something like that.  Westboro has 40 - 50 members.... yet somehow they have been turned into the example for all conservative.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katzmeow726
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2012 at 1:44 PM
The entire family is made up of lawyers...their goal is to get sued and make money off it. Which they do. I just can not imagine any real Christian doing what they do. Or at least I hope so

Quoting rfurlongg:

Good.

Have always wondered what the wbb were hoping to accomplish...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rfurlongg
by on May. 3, 2012 at 1:46 PM
Really? Ugh. They sound soulless.

Quoting katzmeow726:

The entire family is made up of lawyers...their goal is to get sued and make money off it. Which they do. I just can not imagine any real Christian doing what they do. Or at least I hope so

Quoting rfurlongg:

Good.

Have always wondered what the wbb were hoping to accomplish...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tanya93
by on May. 3, 2012 at 1:47 PM

You do know that Fred Phelps runs for office as a democrat?

Quoting NWP:

Do you think folks are starting to see how ridiculous all this far right social conservative extremist crap is?

Tanya93
by on May. 3, 2012 at 1:49 PM

I understand why they are doing it, but I have real issues with a government telling a group of people that they can't protest near something.

katzmeow726
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2012 at 1:51 PM
I don't. If anyone is to blame for a law like this, its westboro. The only way to protect people from their.filth I to make a law that restricts funeral protesting. Its not protests in general, but funerals.

Quoting Tanya93:

I understand why they are doing it, but I have real issues with a government telling a group of people that they can't protest near something.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katzmeow726
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2012 at 1:52 PM
Well slap me stupid....I had no idea

Quoting Tanya93:

Quoting NWP:

Do you think folks are starting to see how ridiculous all this far right social conservative extremist crap is?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NWP
by guerrilla girl on May. 3, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Hahaaha! That is funny. I looked it up and you are right!

However, it seems the democrats in his area aren't fooled because I can't find an election he has actually won....Unlike the republicans who voted for Terry England..

Two good examples of why you should always research your local candidates.

Quoting Tanya93:

Quoting NWP:

katzmeow726
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2012 at 2:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Which is one reason why I DIDN'T vote for our current governor. I don't rule out voting republican or democrat based on party.  I almost always ignore party affiliation, and just look at the candidate.  Voting records, speeches, and platforms...

But I really did not like anything I read about Bentley, and even my gut said something was not right about him.

I was right.  Even my dad (who's a conservative, and I think voted for him) is calling him an idiot.  

Quoting NWP:

However, it seems the democrats in his area aren't fooled..Unlike the republicans who voted for Terry England..

Quoting Tanya93:

Quoting NWP:

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
NWP
by guerrilla girl on May. 3, 2012 at 2:10 PM

The Democratic platform best fits my views, but I always check out the candidates..especially the local and state ones. There have been times when I have not voted democrat because of what I found.

Quoting katzmeow726:

Which is one reason why I DIDN'T vote for our current governor. I don't rule out voting republican or democrat based on party.  I almost always ignore party affiliation, and just look at the candidate.  Voting records, speeches, and platforms...

But I really did not like anything I read about Bentley, and even my gut said something was not right about him.

I was right.  Even my dad (who's a conservative, and I think voted for him) is calling him an idiot.  

Quoting NWP:

However, it seems the democrats in his area aren't fooled..Unlike the republicans who voted for Terry England..

Quoting Tanya93:

Quoting NWP:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)