Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

No offense to the white woman but why are my African, "African-Amaerican", Black sista (not that theres any difference in the names, we African!) But why are wmen bleaching their skin trying to get lighter skin? This White based society really has our sistas messed up in the head thinking if they are closer in color to the white woman it'll make you prettier.... Well hunny do you know the power of your Melanin?! You better reprogram your mind. 

Just think, we are always portrayed in the media with a negative conotation, I could understand why you would have self hate.. But these white ppl tan, inject they ass, inject their lips to make them more plump like our nature figure! But yet when we are naturally this way, its a problem. And they only time we praised if if we're shaking out our in some music video. I just really want African women to think! 

Why our women have so much self-hate? Always wearing these weaves! I'm sorry ladies but men dont like weave, lol.  They won't say it but every real man, a good man, a man that knows himself will tell you, he does not like weaves! He wants to feel the natural you!

I wil respond in replies.

by on May. 3, 2012 at 4:06 PM
Replies (11-20):
opal10161973
by on May. 3, 2012 at 4:21 PM

I think this is something that women have had issues with it for many centuries and it's not likely to stop any time soon.  For so long, we were only worth our looks or family money/titles. 

This is not anything that is specific to one race/culture/group.  Women have long sought to make themselves younger, prettier, rouge for lips and cheeks, thinner, thicker, charcoal for eyes, and many other things.  In the Orient, they would bind the hands and feet of young girls, sometimes called hobbling because they couldn't walk or barely walk, to make them smaller.  Tiny was the 'in' thing to be.  What about those girls in the 1920's who would wear corsets and make their waists 14 inches around? 

You are right on, it's not something we should continue to encourage.  It makes me sad to hear another story about a ten year old wanting a nose job or liposuction or breast implants.  The question is, what can we do about it?

It's in the media, they use techniques to make us look thinner/younger and it's an impossible thing to achieve.  Why?  Because the pictures aren't of REAL people.  We need to stand up and start telling EACHOTHER how great we look.  We need to support each other in this.  Yet when women see a pretty woman, they think of them as rivals and bash her.  Why?  It's an old habit and passed down through generations of behaviors. 

We need to start fresh with our own girls.  Make sure they know that no matter how thin or thick they are- they are beautiful. 

Men don't have the body issues we have because they don't usually bash each other for having junk in their trunk or skinny lips.  Maybe we need to start doing the same?

opal10161973
by on May. 3, 2012 at 4:26 PM

BUMP!

LuvmyAiden
by on May. 3, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Just one question? Are you from Africa or the U.S.? Because I know real africans and out of respect for them I will NEVER call a US born black person african american again.

And I don't see bad media about black women. Nor do I see them put down for not being pretty. I think I look better with a tan but that doesn't mean I am not happy being causasian. Why is everything about color? How is it disrespect to one's race to want to look like you want? I see self love when women do what makes them happy with thier bodies not self hate.

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2012 at 4:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting opal10161973:

I think this is something that women have had issues with it for many centuries and it's not likely to stop any time soon.  For so long, we were only worth our looks or family money/titles. 

This is not anything that is specific to one race/culture/group.  Women have long sought to make themselves younger, prettier, rouge for lips and cheeks, thinner, thicker, charcoal for eyes, and many other things.  In the Orient, they would bind the hands and feet of young girls, sometimes called hobbling because they couldn't walk or barely walk, to make them smaller.  Tiny was the 'in' thing to be.  What about those girls in the 1920's who would wear corsets and make their waists 14 inches around? 

You are right on, it's not something we should continue to encourage.  It makes me sad to hear another story about a ten year old wanting a nose job or liposuction or breast implants.  The question is, what can we do about it?

It's in the media, they use techniques to make us look thinner/younger and it's an impossible thing to achieve.  Why?  Because the pictures aren't of REAL people.  We need to stand up and start telling EACHOTHER how great we look.  We need to support each other in this.  Yet when women see a pretty woman, they think of them as rivals and bash her.  Why?  It's an old habit and passed down through generations of behaviors. 

We need to start fresh with our own girls.  Make sure they know that no matter how thin or thick they are- they are beautiful. 

Men don't have the body issues we have because they don't usually bash each other for having junk in their trunk or skinny lips.  Maybe we need to start doing the same?

You are spot on!  As for the original topic, women of all colors are beautiful and should be celebrated.

MyJaidon
by on May. 3, 2012 at 4:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Here we go with the whole "You don't deserve to call yourself African American.." BS.

Quoting LuvmyAiden:

Just one question? Are you from Africa or the U.S.? Because I know real africans and out of respect for them I will NEVER call a US born black person african american again.

And I don't see bad media about black women. Nor do I see them put down for not being pretty. I think I look better with a tan but that doesn't mean I am not happy being causasian. Why is everything about color? How is it disrespect to one's race to want to look like you want? I see self love when women do what makes them happy with thier bodies not self hate.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AdellesMom
by on May. 3, 2012 at 4:29 PM
Tyra Banks had an entire show on this topic, and the psychology behind it. I think it's on YouTube. I don't bleach my skin or wear weaves. I have no need to do so.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katzmeow726
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2012 at 4:30 PM
1 mom liked this

At this point, I think it would take a radical change in media.  Heck...it would probably take an act of congress to make the changes needed to end the extreme perfection that we see in magazines.  Or at least have in bold print on the cover the words "this model has been altered to appear more physically attractive."

Quoting opal10161973:

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
AdellesMom
by on May. 3, 2012 at 4:30 PM
Sorry to disappoint you, but I AM Aftican American. That's where my ancestors are from. derp

Quoting LuvmyAiden:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Donna6503
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2012 at 4:33 PM
1 mom liked this
I think her child should be taken away for having a mother that can scare the hell out of people by her looks alone.

Quoting opal10161973:

Speaking of women who tan...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LuvmyAiden
by on May. 3, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Who am I to say anyone deserves anything? I heard the stories my friends told. They were adamant about this and I respect that so to call herself and others just african struck me as odd if she is not in fact african.

Quoting MyJaidon:

Here we go with the whole "You don't deserve to call yourself African American.." BS.

Quoting LuvmyAiden:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN