Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Lets talk about child support.

Posted by   + Show Post

In your opinion, what, specifically, should child support go towards?

What do you think of being asked to provide receipts for all child support monies spent?

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." ~ Maya Angelou

by on May. 3, 2012 at 6:57 PM
Replies (31-40):
katy_kay08
by on May. 3, 2012 at 7:51 PM

I will say that we are currently in the process of having our support order terminated.  That will certainly cause some knickers to be knotted if it happens.  

mmtosam06
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2012 at 7:51 PM
What?!?!?

Quoting FromAtoZ:

I received a phone call today, requesting an accounting for the child support I receive, dating back to January, 2011.

I laughed.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on May. 3, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Quoting turtle68:

Quoting Tanya93:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

I am good with showing from financial records that the money given to support the kids wasn't used to pay for the custodial parent's fun.

See too many moms play this game and not buy shoes or school stuff or take them to the doc because that money goes for nails and cable and alcohol.

I used the money given to me for child support for a vacation...for myself :-)  It was a lump sum for 10 years worth of nothingness.  Would you take issue with this?

I'd love to see my bio father pay the 18 yrs of back support he never paid to my mother. I wouldn't ask her for a single penny.

Tanya93
by on May. 3, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Quoting turtle68:

Yes, but I know that isn't popular. I would just give the sum to my kid because they have a crappy parent. But that is just me...
Momniscient
by Ruby Member on May. 3, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Funny thing. Did you know in the West it is much much more common for women to pay child support. It is nearing the 50% of cases mark in our county.

lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting lizmarie1975:

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting lizmarie1975:

Puh-leese. By the time I get the child support, I've already paid for my son's wants/needs 10x over. His guitar lesson costs more weekly than I get monthly.

Wow. Either he's getting private lessons from Nikki Sixx or you aren't getting very much money for support.

LOL.

$25/month for child support (when he feels like sending it)

$40/week for guitar lessons

Holy Moly! He's only ordered to pay $25 a month? Really?

Well, the order is from 1997. We have an unspoken (because we've rarely spoken) agreement...I don't go for more support and he doesn't ask to see my son.  My son is 15 years old and I can count on two hands the number of times he's seen his "father."  The father has asked to terminate his rights so he can discontinue paying child support but the judge (?) told him no.  He's never taken me to court for visitation but he's knew my address (until I moved almost 2 years ago) and I've had the same phone number since I got a cell phone years ago. I'm not unreachable...but he is.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on May. 3, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Quoting Momniscient:

I think the accounting should be more geared toward parental involvement/communication rather than receipts.

For example: if child support is ordered perhaps there could be an order of a court approved website (there are a few out there for custody purposes) to track communication and expenses.

Child support is such a contentious issue and parents use it as a way to fuel bitterness and conflict. Maybe the 'answer' is to attempt to alleviate the bitterness so that the children benefit from their parents being forced to communicate AND from the money.

I could not agree more.

Often times, the paying parent wants to control the parent who receives the monies.  It isn't about the 'best interest of the child' as much as it is about control.

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." ~ Maya Angelou

notuseless
by on May. 3, 2012 at 7:56 PM

rent, food, utility's, clothing for the child, shoes for the child. unless the judge ordered receipts i say don't provide them. the money is to help keep the child safe with a home, food and clothing.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on May. 3, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Quoting survivorinohio:

Youre ex is a tool!  How dare he.  I think thats bs and I am pissed for you A.

Meh, like I said, all I could do was laugh.

This is typical and only the beginning with him.  *sigh*

m3lissa_16
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2012 at 7:58 PM
1 mom liked this

That would be a total slap in the face. Child support should be used at the discretion of the parent who receives it. More often than not, it is used for bills (which the kids contribute to, as well). I get tired of hearing angry exes and their SO's bitching about what CP does with "their  money." Child support is the NCP's share of expenses they would most likely be responsible for if they were still in the home. Get over it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN