Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Should people on section 8

Posted by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:45 PM
  • 292 Replies
1 mom liked this

Drive brand new cars?

The apartments next door are owned by someone who rents strictly to section 8 and the new tenant has a brand new car she got about a month after she moved in.

Even if she is leasing I find it inappropriate.

Thoughts?

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on May. 3, 2012 at 9:46 PM

I find it inappropriate too.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on May. 3, 2012 at 9:47 PM
4 moms liked this

If you can afford a brand new car, you should beable to afford a place with no section 8.

A_Zmom
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:47 PM
27 moms liked this
We live in a section 8 building, and we have a new car my in-laws bought it for us when our old one broke down beyond repair. You don't know the whole story, don't judge
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
survivorinohio
by René on May. 3, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Quoting Euphoric:

If you can afford a brand new car, you should beable to afford a place with no section 8.

I think so.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

Radarma
by "OneDar" on May. 3, 2012 at 9:49 PM
4 moms liked this

Hmmm, what if it was gifted to her?

survivorinohio
by René on May. 3, 2012 at 9:50 PM
5 moms liked this

Quoting A_Zmom:

We live in a section 8 building, and we have a new car my in-laws bought it for us when our old one broke down beyond repair. You don't know the whole story, don't judge

A brand new car?  Like 2012?  You should not own a car worth as much as my house and collect subsidies like section 8.  That car could be a down payment on a home, a couple yrs rent...

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on May. 3, 2012 at 9:50 PM
11 moms liked this

I don't know. Ofentimes it is a cost/benefit thing.

Buy a new car that won't have problems or spend a mint fixing an old car. Fixing requires immediate disposable cash. Buying often requires payments that are easier to make month to month. The price often comes with outrageous interest rates, but the problem is one of immediacy.

I don't know that I can judge.

bannannagirl
by Member on May. 3, 2012 at 9:50 PM
1 mom liked this
Brand new as in a 2012 vehicle or brand new as in she has not owned this vehicle before? 2012 vehicle no. A used vehicle yes maybe her other one didn't work or she had no vehicle prior.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tanya93
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:51 PM
7 moms liked this
Yeah, this will be fun.

Even if it was gifted, sell it it. Buy a used car and actually stop trying to live off the taxpayers
survivorinohio
by René on May. 3, 2012 at 9:51 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting Radarma:

Hmmm, what if it was gifted to her?

I dont think it matters.  My husband is ill and has been having a tough time keeping his va alive and if he were gfted a brand new van we would sell it and buy a reasonable used car and pay bills.

A brand new car is a luxury.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)