Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Drive brand new cars?

The apartments next door are owned by someone who rents strictly to section 8 and the new tenant has a brand new car she got about a month after she moved in.

Even if she is leasing I find it inappropriate.

Thoughts?

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:45 PM
Replies (241-250):
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on May. 4, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Hmmm. Maybe she can't afford to cough up 5k or more for a reliable car, but can afford $199 a month on a leased car?

I have never paid more than 2000 for a car.  That was including tax and title

$2000 might be a lot for someone to come up with all at once though. KWIM?

futureshock
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Quoting ladyvamp5489:

I have seen that her too, but if the research is done its a VERY small amoun of tax dollars. AND ppl on section 8 pay taxes to at some point in their lives. That money is there to help ppl who need it and qualify for it. I just dont see why some ppl have to judge others and not just worry about themselves and not what others are doing.

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting ladyvamp5489:

Who cares? Its not your money they are spending its theirs. Stop judging others for their choices and if she does have a new car while on section 8 then im sure she still qualifies. Worry about yourself and not what others have or do. SMH

I have seen a lot of women argue that the subsidy that section 8 participants receive is indeed hard earned tax dollars...

How can you be sure?

AND ppl on section 8 pay taxes to at some point in their lives.

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on May. 4, 2012 at 9:04 PM
1 mom liked this

People who are bad with money are, typically, bad with money.

You know, buying things they can't afford... spending all their money at once... committing to payment schedules they have no reason to believe they'll ever be able to meet...

survivorinohio
by René on May. 4, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Hmmm. Maybe she can't afford to cough up 5k or more for a reliable car, but can afford $199 a month on a leased car?

I have never paid more than 2000 for a car.  That was including tax and title

$2000 might be a lot for someone to come up with all at once though. KWIM?

I do.  I have also driven 100 00 beaters that snagged my clothes every day lol.  The bulk of my vehicles have been between 600 and 1000 and have lasted 3-5 yrs.  Money at once is an issue but down payments arent usually small either.  The terms I located on the car in question specifically wer 2650 down and 200 a mo.

I will say again though I have a good working knowledge of cars and my hubby does as well. I imagine that matters.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

babyspots17
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2012 at 9:43 PM
I would be embarrassed to drive a brand new car if I lived in any kind of section 8 or income restriction housing. Whether the car was a gift or not.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
candlegal
by Judy on May. 4, 2012 at 9:46 PM

LOL, wasn't telling you to zip it.  I was saying I was keeping my own mouth closed for fear of saying something I probably shouldn't

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Nope not going to zip it as that is how I feel.  We are not paying for it with food stamps we are paying for it out of my husbands paycheck. 

Quoting candlegal:

sealed lip

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Really so my husband who works 50hrs a week shouldn't have a beer now and then because we receive food stamps?  Yup I will admit on occasion my husband will spend $6 on some beer and yup we receive food stamps but we pay for it with our hard earned money.  I seriously doubt that $6 a month will amount to very much. 

Quoting candlegal:

I agree.   This kind of reminds me of all the people that use a food stamp card to let the taxpayers buy their groceries and turn around and buy themselves beer.  Shouldn't that beer money be going for groceries?

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting Euphoric:

If you can afford a brand new car, you should beable to afford a place with no section 8.

This

ggroover
by Member on May. 4, 2012 at 10:06 PM

So you know for a fact that your neighbor purchased this car outright? Honestly if they are on section 8 they have to document their income. If they had enough money for a brand new car they would not be getting section 8. There are very strict rules and if you lie, they will find out. So chances are it was gifted to her or she is leasing it. If you do not know for a fact that they purchased it in cash then I would say mind your own business. As far as the people who said they would sell it? How ungrateful. If I bought my daughter a brand new car and she sold it for a junker I would be pissed! I would have just bought her the junker if she was that ungrateful.

survivorinohio
by René on May. 4, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Quoting ggroover:

So you know for a fact that your neighbor purchased this car outright? Honestly if they are on section 8 they have to document their income. If they had enough money for a brand new car they would not be getting section 8. There are very strict rules and if you lie, they will find out. So chances are it was gifted to her or she is leasing it. If you do not know for a fact that they purchased it in cash then I would say mind your own business. As far as the people who said they would sell it? How ungrateful. If I bought my daughter a brand new car and she sold it for a junker I would be pissed! I would have just bought her the junker if she was that ungrateful.

No, I know for a fact she is on section 8, I have absolutely no idea where/how she got the car.

fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2012 at 10:47 PM

That is probably worse.  LOL!! 

Just so you know we only went on FS recently when my husband lost his job due to the economy.  He went in on a Fri. and they let my husband know they were closing the doors that day.  He ended up taking another job for $4 less an hr just so we weren't just sitting on our butts and collecting unemployment.  We are doing everything we can to get off assistance and my husband is working twice as hard and many more hours for far less money. 

So please just be careful before you judge.  We are educated, very hard working people that simply got nailed by the economy. 

Quoting candlegal:

LOL, wasn't telling you to zip it.  I was saying I was keeping my own mouth closed for fear of saying something I probably shouldn't

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Nope not going to zip it as that is how I feel.  We are not paying for it with food stamps we are paying for it out of my husbands paycheck. 

Quoting candlegal:

sealed lip

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Really so my husband who works 50hrs a week shouldn't have a beer now and then because we receive food stamps?  Yup I will admit on occasion my husband will spend $6 on some beer and yup we receive food stamps but we pay for it with our hard earned money.  I seriously doubt that $6 a month will amount to very much. 

Quoting candlegal:

I agree.   This kind of reminds me of all the people that use a food stamp card to let the taxpayers buy their groceries and turn around and buy themselves beer.  Shouldn't that beer money be going for groceries?

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting Euphoric:

If you can afford a brand new car, you should beable to afford a place with no section 8.

This

moneysaver6
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Quoting Euphoric:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)