Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Drive brand new cars?

The apartments next door are owned by someone who rents strictly to section 8 and the new tenant has a brand new car she got about a month after she moved in.

Even if she is leasing I find it inappropriate.

Thoughts?

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:45 PM
Replies (271-280):
survivorinohio
by René on May. 5, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Quoting IWannaLoveAgain:

There is a new apartment complex up the road from us, and everyone there drives a nice car.. brand new cars.. new body style Chargers. one dude has a crazy nice Camaro.. I thought "wow, they  must be expensive to have people who drive those cars living there." a few weeks later, my brother met a guy who did the glass work for that apartment complex, and its SECTION 8!

I was floored.

Yes, section 8 can seem like something to get floored over now and then.

I dont like the program much.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

mommy0708toJC
by Member on May. 5, 2012 at 1:57 PM

who are you to judge? Your not her and you don't know how she got it or anything as it seems. Better to mind yourself then to be made to look stupid. 

survivorinohio
by René on May. 5, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Quoting mommy0708toJC:

who are you to judge? Your not her and you don't know how she got it or anything as it seems. Better to mind yourself then to be made to look stupid. 

lol You read the thread?  I look stupid?  No I hate the duplex next door and wonder about the ethics of people receiving subsidies buying new cars.

It has been established in this thread that it is perfectly legal for her to own whatever car she wishes/can afford.

I still wonder about the ethics.

mommy0708toJC
by Member on May. 5, 2012 at 2:05 PM

I never said you looked stupid. What I'm saying is its better to mind your business than to be made to look stupid. BIG DIFFERENCE

It's okay to disagree that's for sure and its okay to question ethics but to judge is not okay. 

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting mommy0708toJC:

lol You read the thread?  I look stupid?  No I hate the duplex next door and wonder about the ethics of people receiving subsidies buying new cars.

It has been established in this thread that it is perfectly legal for her to own whatever car she wishes/can afford.

I still wonder about the ethics

Jay-29, Jen-25, Jake-4, Chase-3, TTC #3

girlsclubmom
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2012 at 5:26 PM

I find it very aggravating and inappropriate.... but it happens all the time.

stringtheory
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2012 at 5:41 PM
Ethics is a perfectly reasonably thing to judge someone on.

Quoting mommy0708toJC:

I never said you looked stupid. What I'm saying is its better to mind your business than to be made to look stupid. BIG DIFFERENCE

It's okay to disagree that's for sure and its okay to question ethics but to judge is not okay. 

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting mommy0708toJC:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stringtheory
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2012 at 5:41 PM
*reasonable

Quoting stringtheory:

Ethics is a perfectly reasonably thing to judge someone on.

Quoting mommy0708toJC:

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting mommy0708toJC:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kleea1969
by Kristine on May. 5, 2012 at 6:56 PM
2 moms liked this
How is judging someone's ethics not okay? I judge serial killers, rapists, and pedophiles all the time. I judge how people behave, and live. I do this before allowing them in my life, or my childrens lives. I would judge a drug addict, or an alcoholic to not be safe around my family, nor would I want that type of influence in our lives. I can see why someone might judge a person on assistance, that is driving a brand new car. I would question this myself. I think in order to qualify for these types of programs, your equity needs to be low (makes sense right?). With this in mind, had I come across the same situation, I very well might think someone, somewhere, is cheating the program. Do I know this for sure no, but yes I am going to wonder and judge this. People judge all the time, that's not wrong. It is what they do with the judgement and how they handle it that counts, not the fact that they judged.

Quoting mommy0708toJC:

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting mommy0708toJC:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EireLass
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2012 at 7:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting survivorinohio:
Quoting mommy0708toJC:

lol You read the thread?  I look stupid?  No I hate the duplex next door and wonder about the ethics of people receiving subsidies buying new cars. It has been established in this thread that it is perfectly legal for her to own whatever car she wishes/can afford.

I still wonder about the ethics.

Don't you be judging her now.....she could very well be an ethical drug dealer!

btamilee
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Its well known by avid yard salers in our area that the best sales are in the large Section 8 apartment complex.  You will find the best of the best!  Brand name clothing, brand name purses, brand name everything.  Its where I get most of my bargains.  High quality merchandise, selling for low prices.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)