Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do you live in a bubble? (A quiz)

Posted by on May. 4, 2012 at 11:59 AM
  • 120 Replies
1 mom liked this

Do You Live in a Bubble? A Quiz

By: Paul Solman and elizabeth shell

White America is coming apart at the seams.

That's the thesis Charles Murray, a libertarian political scientist at the American Enterprise Institute, puts forth in his new book, "Coming Apart." In a piece soon to appear on the NewsHour, Murray argues that the super wealthy, super educated and super snobby live in so-called super-ZIPs: cloistered together, with little to no exposure to American culture at large.

Those people, he says, live in a social and cultural bubble. And so he includes this 25-question quiz, covering beer to politics to Avon to "The Big Bang Theory," to help readers determine how thick their own bubble may be.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/2012/03/white-educated-and-wealthy-congratulations-you-live-in-a-bubble.html

Click the link to take the quiz, you just have to scroll down a little, the first question is on the page i linked to. A quick tip: when you get to the questions about TV shows and movies if you haven't seen them you don't have to click anything...it won't mess up the quiz.

by on May. 4, 2012 at 11:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ZenLady
by Member on May. 4, 2012 at 12:00 PM
Bump for later
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2012 at 12:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I scored a 63... Nope, I do not live in a bubble. 

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on May. 4, 2012 at 12:10 PM

You got 82 points.

See below for scores Charles Murray would expect you to get based on the following descriptions. Note that there are ranges of possible scores for categories and some overlap. In the graphic, your score is denoted by the horizontal black line, and typical scores for each range are marked with gray lines. The possible overlap is represented by the blue bars.

The higher your score, the thinner your bubble. The lower, the more insulated you might be from mainstream American culture.

48–99: A lifelong resident of a working-class neighborhood with average television and movie going habits. Typical: 77.

42–100: A first-generation middle-class person with working-class parents and average television and movie going habits. Typical: 66.

11–80: A first-generation upper-middle-class person with middle-class parents. Typical: 33.

0–43: A second-generation (or more) upper-middle-class person who has made a point of getting out a lot. Typical: 9.

0–20: A second-generation (or more) upper-middle-class person with the television and movie going habits of the upper middle class. Typical: 2.

ChancesMommy07
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2012 at 12:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I scored 84. We own a pickup truck, I am from a rural area, and I know who Jimmie Johnson is. My bubble is very thin..

owl0210
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2012 at 12:17 PM
I scored a 9.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stormcris
by Christy on May. 4, 2012 at 12:17 PM

48–99: A lifelong resident of a working-class neighborhood with average television and movie going habits

Radarma
by "OneDar" on May. 4, 2012 at 12:17 PM
1 mom liked this

64 for me.

Cool post!

Schleetle
by on May. 4, 2012 at 12:17 PM
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2012 at 12:18 PM

You got 48 points.

See below for scores Charles Murray would expect you to get based on the following descriptions. Note that there are ranges of possible scores for categories and some overlap. In the graphic, your score is denoted by the horizontal black line, and typical scores for each range are marked with gray lines. The possible overlap is represented by the blue bars.

The higher your score, the thinner your bubble. The lower, the more insulated you might be from mainstream American culture.

48–99: A lifelong resident of a working-class neighborhood with average television and movie going habits. Typical: 77.

42–100: A first-generation middle-class person with working-class parents and average television and movie going habits. Typical: 66.

11–80: A first-generation upper-middle-class person with middle-class parents. Typical: 33.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on May. 4, 2012 at 12:19 PM

50- I grew up solidly middle class... [fire fighter/teacher parents]

I am your average American with an average bubble.

I agree with the assessment.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN