Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

My big fat gypsy wedding

Posted by on May. 4, 2012 at 6:06 PM
  • 25 Replies

Do any of you watch it?

I have caught a few episodes of it. I find it fascinating how modest their morals are, but, their dress would not imply it. lol

http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/tv/my-big-fat-gypsy-wedding/gypsy-bride-pictures.htm

Girls are raised to be wives and mothers. Boys are free to do whatever they will.

by on May. 4, 2012 at 6:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2012 at 6:07 PM

I was hooked on it.  I heard there's a new one out about travellers here in the US, but I haven't seen that one. 

The only thing that really bothered me about it was the practice of grabbing.  The rest of it I chalk up to, "Well, that's their culture and they seem pretty happy with it."  But the grabbing thing really bugged me.

muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2012 at 6:09 PM

I saw the US one the other night.

I didnt like that either. I think it's wrong.

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

I was hooked on it.  I heard there's a new one out about travellers here in the US, but I haven't seen that one. 

The only thing that really bothered me about it was the practice of grabbing.  The rest of it I chalk up to, "Well, that's their culture and they seem pretty happy with it."  But the grabbing thing really bugged me.

SLTmom
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2012 at 6:14 PM
I agree. The "grabbing" is bothersome. As is the high illiteracy rates, and complete lack of education.

I'm always wondering, why are they pulling the daughters out of school to watch after the younger children, and keep the house? Where Re the mothers???

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

"I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief"  Gerry Spence

muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2012 at 6:15 PM

I would think it is how they "train" the girls for marriage and motherhood. Keep them at home and let mom teach them how to run the house.

Quoting SLTmom:

I agree. The "grabbing" is bothersome. As is the high illiteracy rates, and complete lack of education.

I'm always wondering, why are they pulling the daughters out of school to watch after the younger children, and keep the house? Where Re the mothers???

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

SLTmom
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2012 at 6:17 PM
I get that (I disagree, but I get it). It's just, I NEVER see the moms, just the girls.

Quoting muslimahpj:

"I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief"  Gerry Spence

muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2012 at 6:19 PM

I havent watched many of them, but, I think they focus on the girls because as they reach 16+ they are getting married and this show is about their weddings, or supposed to be anyway.

Quoting SLTmom:

I get that (I disagree, but I get it). It's just, I NEVER see the moms, just the girls.

Quoting muslimahpj:

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on May. 4, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Okay, this is kind of creepy. lmao

My daughter and I are watching it right now.  I thought about posting! lol

Takes all kinds to make the world go round, I guess.

It makes me cringe, dressing like a hoochie while taking communion.  Wow!  

My blood pressure rises when ever we come across this crap, or shows like Toddlers and Tiaras. 

SLTmom
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2012 at 6:22 PM
Yeah. I find it fascinating and disturbing all at the same time.

I mean, it's fine to choose to stay at home, be a mom and raise kids (I mean, that's what I do) but I also feel they are raised believing they have NO OTHER choice in the matter. And I think that's sad.

Quoting muslimahpj:

JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2012 at 6:25 PM

There was a gal in the Mom Confessions group yesterday who is an Irish Traveller who lives in Oklahoma right now.  She posted one of those "ask me anything" posts.  What she basically said about the way the younger ones dress was that the way they see it, those girls are close to marriage age.  A ten year old will be looking for a husband in four years.  So, in our culture it would be similar to how teenagers start dressing provocatively to catch they eye of boys. 

muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2012 at 6:30 PM

That's what I figured. They marry so young.

I think I heard on one of the shows that they are not allowed to date.

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

There was a gal in the Mom Confessions group yesterday who is an Irish Traveller who lives in Oklahoma right now.  She posted one of those "ask me anything" posts.  What she basically said about the way the younger ones dress was that the way they see it, those girls are close to marriage age.  A ten year old will be looking for a husband in four years.  So, in our culture it would be similar to how teenagers start dressing provocatively to catch they eye of boys. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN