Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do any of you watch it?

I have caught a few episodes of it. I find it fascinating how modest their morals are, but, their dress would not imply it. lol

http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/tv/my-big-fat-gypsy-wedding/gypsy-bride-pictures.htm

Girls are raised to be wives and mothers. Boys are free to do whatever they will.

by on May. 4, 2012 at 6:06 PM
Replies (11-20):
jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2012 at 6:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I've been watching them too, along with the new American version.

It really is bizarre to us - but from their POV, 16 is marrying age, so time to use those charms to catch a husband.  Education isn't needed as girls only marry, have babies, and clean, and boys always go into whatever family business.

The detail that these shows never give you is this - some of these travellers are positively notorious theives and regular abusers of the system. 

muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2012 at 7:01 PM

The American gypsy one is coming on now, for those interested in it. lol

jeremy1
by Member on May. 4, 2012 at 7:03 PM
I love watching it and I agree they have great morals and stuff but they dress like hoes , even the little little girls .
Rose87
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2012 at 7:04 PM

What is "grabbing"?

muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Quoting jeremy1:

I love watching it and I agree they have great morals and stuff but they dress like hoes , even the little little girls .

Their dress and values definitely clash. lol

muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Quoting Rose87:

What is "grabbing"?

Boys can go up and "grab" a girl and kiss her, whether she wants to or not. That is what I remember of it.

punky3175
by Punky on May. 4, 2012 at 7:06 PM
I have watched it and it just goes to prove you can't judge a book by it's cover. The way they dress you certainly wouldn't think they have the morals they do. But they also marry very very young. It's not the life for me but more power to them. :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rose87
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Interesting @ "Grabbing"

I think I would strangle a boy if he did that with my daughter. LOL I think dh would do something worse.. ie, make it so he cant have kids. EVER. LOOOOOOOOOL

I do not think I would be interested in watching the show. It just doesnt strike my interest. Now, I do love the show about the "little couple"

They are too friggin cute!!

xo.MommyW.xo
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2012 at 7:13 PM
Its garbage
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DuchessTara
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2012 at 7:13 PM

I've watched it. I feel sorry for the girls. I guess if they are happy, that's good. But I would think I'd be miserable. The girls are born destined to a life of solitude and servants while they boys do what ever they please and party their whole lives. The girls don't get to date or even really choose their spouse. They spend their childhood cleaning and taking care of people, having no kind of childhood at all, while their brothers romp around being waited on hand and foot. I remember one episode broke my heart... a girl was getting married, she was the oldest. And her little sister just cried through the whole thing. She was depressed at the wedding and everything. She said she was sad because her sister was leaving and that meant she had to take over her sisters job of taking care of the household. No child should have to feel that way, and no child should be responsible for an entire househould like they are by THEMSELVES. I can understand families that work together & keep the house going. But these girls do this ALONE... they run the whole house ALONE. They are raised & trained so they can get married to train their own daughters. I would think it a sad and miserable existance.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)