Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Ken Hutcherson: Anti-Gay Activists Must 'Take Back the Rainbow'

Posted by on May. 4, 2012 at 8:10 PM
  • 34 Replies

Jennifer Roback Morse of the National Organization for Marriage isn’t the only anti-gay activist seeking to take the symbol of the rainbow back from the “gay lobby,” as Washington state pastor and NOM-allyKenneth Hutcherson, who is working to overturn the state’s marriage equality law, writes today inWorldNetDaily that it is time to “take back the rainbow for God” and let “the homosexual community find a different religious symbol to commandeer.”

How did we get here? Just when was this symbol liquidated of its meaning? When was the sign pointing to God’s promise intentionally co-opted to point to a certain lifestyle choice? Let’s just say that the homosexual movement has been busy over the last couple of decades and that many of these changes have taken place without so much as a peep from the larger Christian community. Rome’s burning; Nero’s fiddling; and Christians are taking a well-deserved nap.

Yes, let’s take back the rainbow for God. Let the homosexual community find a different religious symbol to commandeer. If they were feeling congenial, perhaps the Muslims would let them borrow their crescent moon. In these desperate economic times, maybe the Wiccans would rent the pentagram to them. I don’t really care. What I want is for the Christian community to wake up, wipe the sleep from their eyes, and realize that they are in a spiritual battle that isn’t going away and has no demilitarized zones. The rainbow is a symbol, but it’s meaning points to the very character of God. So Christians …use this God-given symbol for His glory. Using it won’t make you a homosexual. It won’t make you a New Ager. It won’t make leprechauns real. But it might allow you to get into conversations with people who need to meet the very One Who gave us His promise in the first place.
by on May. 4, 2012 at 8:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on May. 4, 2012 at 8:14 PM
3 moms liked this

For as long as I can remember, the rainbow has been associated, in one way or another, with the gay community.  

Now, all of a sudden, some one is all pissy about it?

God's promise included all people. Seems some need to be reminded of that. 

*sigh*

_Kissy_
by on May. 4, 2012 at 8:14 PM
6 moms liked this

So will the Christians give the Pagans easter, christmas, and every other thing they took back?

jllcali
by Jane on May. 4, 2012 at 8:18 PM
2 moms liked this
Since when is a rainbow a religious symbol?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FrogSalad
by Sooze on May. 4, 2012 at 8:18 PM
1 mom liked this

The rainbow can be symbolic for more than one thing/idea. 

No one group "owns" rainbows.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on May. 4, 2012 at 8:24 PM
3 moms liked this

This man doesn't even begin to speak for all Christians.

Lets keep that in mind. ;)

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on May. 4, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Yeah... good luck with that.

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on May. 4, 2012 at 8:25 PM

True!

Quoting FromAtoZ:

For as long as I can remember, the rainbow has been associated, in one way or another, with the gay community.  

Now, all of a sudden, some one is all pissy about it?

God's promise included all people. Seems some need to be reminded of that. 

*sigh*

Radarma
by "OneDar" on May. 4, 2012 at 8:35 PM

I have been pissy about it for a long time.

**shrugs**

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on May. 4, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Quote:

Genesis 9:11-17, "And I will establish my covenant with you; neither shall all flesh be cut off any more by the waters of a flood; neither shall there any more be a flood to destroy the earth. {12} And God said, This <is> the token of the covenant which I make between me and you and every living creature that <is> with you, for perpetual generations: {13} I do set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a token of a covenant between me and the earth. {14} And it shall come to pass, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the bow shall be seen in the cloud: {15} And I will remember my covenant, which <is> between me and you and every living creature of all flesh; and the waters shall no more become a flood to destroy all flesh. {16} And the bow shall be in the cloud; and I will look upon it, that I may remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that <is> upon the earth. {17} And God said unto Noah, This <is> thetoken of the covenant, which I have established between me and all flesh that <is> upon the earth."

Hmmm, seems to me that God's rainbow includes everyone.  

Some say God's promise in the rainbow was made to Noah, which, again, includes all.

The first rainbow flag used in regards to the gay community, was made around 1978.

If any one else has been this upset about the use of the rainbow, I have never heard about it.

This man could better serve his flock in other ways.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on May. 4, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Quoting Radarma:

I have been pissy about it for a long time.

**shrugs**

Why is that?

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." ~ Maya Angelou

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)