Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Update on the REAL delegate count - Ron Paul won Maine and Nevada this weekend

Posted by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:06 PM
  • 18 Replies

http://www.thereal2012delegatecount.com/

This place has an interactive map and shows which states are unbound states, which states have had their conventions and have chosen their delegates. Also a must see - a report showing the GOP party rules state that bound delegates aren't actually bound AND that the RNC is breaking its own rules with regards to the Romney campaign.

Ben Swann gave an update today on this:

benswann.png

quotes Eilish likes

“The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and left untried.”

G.K. Chesterton

by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
new_mom808
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2012 at 10:39 PM

I cant watch the video right now so I apologize if this is covered. What happens to delegates bound to Santorum and Gingrich? Do they still count for them at the RNC? Are they freed? Assigned?

Natesmom507
by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:50 PM

banging head into wall

-Eilish-
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Quoting new_mom808:

I cant watch the video right now so I apologize if this is covered. What happens to delegates bound to Santorum and Gingrich? Do they still count for them at the RNC? Are they freed? Assigned?

Apparently it's kind of quirky. See each state has their respective rules, but the national RNC rules state that (in rule 38):

"No delegate or alternate delegate shall be bound by any attempt of any state or congressional district to impose the "unit rule."

The unit requires all district or state delegates to vote "as a unit" or all for the same candidate.

So if I'm reading the update above correctly, Santorum and Gingrich delegates may be able to vote for whomever they choose. Idealy Santorum and Gingrich would keep their delegates since they haven't actually dropped out, but rather have suspended their campaign. If they actually dropped out, those delegates would be free agents. It is likely that they will cast their vote for Santorum and Gingrich respectively.

But if this rule 38 means what it apparently says, then not even the current delegate count (even the one posted in the link I gave above) is accurate, and we won't know who the winner of the RNC primary is until the convention in Tampa.

quotes Eilish likes

“The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and left untried.”

G.K. Chesterton

-Eilish-
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Frustrated that your precious GOP has shot themselves in the foot with their own rules?

Quoting Natesmom507:

banging head into wall

quotes Eilish likes

G.K. Chesterton

new_mom808
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2012 at 10:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting -Eilish-:

Quoting new_mom808:

Apparently it's kind of quirky. See each state has their respective rules, but the national RNC rules state that (in rule 38):

"No delegate or alternate delegate shall be bound by any attempt of any state or congressional district to impose the "unit rule."

The unit requires all district or state delegates to vote "as a unit" or all for the same candidate.

So if I'm reading the update above correctly, Santorum and Gingrich delegates may be able to vote for whomever they choose. Idealy Santorum and Gingrich would keep their delegates since they haven't actually dropped out, but rather have suspended their campaign. If they actually dropped out, those delegates would be free agents. It is likely that they will cast their vote for Santorum and Gingrich respectively.

But if this rule 38 means what it apparently says, then not even the current delegate count (even the one posted in the link I gave above) is accurate, and we won't know who the winner of the RNC primary is until the convention in Tampa.

While your explanation is clear enough, I dont think I'm any clearer on the subject. LOL.

-Eilish-
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2012 at 11:14 PM

LOL. I have to say that I'm more confused now about the process, but more sure that Ron Paul has a chance of winning at the convention. (And more sure that there will be a brokered convention).

Quoting new_mom808:

Quoting -Eilish-:

Quoting new_mom808:

While your explanation is clear enough, I dont think I'm any clearer on the subject. LOL.

quotes Eilish likes

G.K. Chesterton

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on May. 4, 2012 at 11:20 PM

bump

new_mom808
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2012 at 11:38 PM
1 mom liked this

It is sounding more and more possible.

Quoting -Eilish-:

LOL. I have to say that I'm more confused now about the process, but more sure that Ron Paul has a chance of winning at the convention. (And more sure that there will be a brokered convention).

Quoting new_mom808:

Quoting -Eilish-:

Quoting new_mom808:

gdiamante
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2012 at 1:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Who is Reality Check? Sorry, they seem to be a Ron Paul tool. In any event, he's still too far behind and if he got the nomination he's not electable.

Della529
by Matlock on May. 5, 2012 at 7:17 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't care for some of RP's positions, but I prefer him over Romney.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN