Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Obama to get do-over on Keystone pipeline

Posted by   + Show Post

The Canadian company seeking to build the massive Canada-to-Texas Keystone XL pipeline through the U.S. reapplied for a permit on Friday, pushing the politically sensitive issue back onto President Obama’s plate six months before the election.

TransCanada announced it has asked for permits to build the pipeline into Nebraska, and will eventually submit a new route skirting environmentally sensitive lands in Nebraska — the sticking point that caused the Obama administration to reject its previous application.

In a statement, TransCanada President Russ Girling made it clear he was appealing to Mr. Obama’s own stated goals of boosting American energy supplies. He also said the thousands of pages of environmental reviews already completed for the earlier application should convince the president to speed this new permit along.

“The multibillion-dollar Keystone XL pipeline project will reduce the United States’ dependence on foreign oil and support job growth by putting thousands of Americans to work,” Mr. Girling said.

But the Obama administration, facing intense pressure from congressional Republicans and leading business groups to approve the plan, has already signaled it would likely delay a decision until next year.

The State Department last year tried to put off a decision about TransCanada’s first application until after the election, arguing it needed more time to study the issue. That move delighted the president’s environmental allies who fear a future catastrophe, but angered many of his labor union supporters, who say the pipeline will produce jobs.

Congress then passed a bill requiring the president to expedite his decision, and faced with the tighter deadline the State Department ruled against the application.

Now, Republicans said Mr. Obama has a do-over.

“Today there is just one person standing in the way of tens of thousands of new American jobs: President Obama,” said House Speaker John A. Boehner, Ohio Republican. “After nearly four years of review, delay and politics, he is out of excuses for blocking this job-creating energy project any longer. Every state along the proposed route supports the pipeline, and its builder has jumped through every bureaucratic hoop.”

Nebraska officials were split on the earlier pipeline route, but have reportedly come to an understanding over a new route to the east of the sensitive Ogalallah Aquifer.

The State Department, which has a role in the approval process because the pipeline would cross the U.S.-Canada border, said in a statement that it had received the application and would put it through “a rigorous, transparent and thorough review.”

The planned pipeline would carry oil from Canada’s tar sands into the U.S. for refining and shipment.

Mr. Obama earlier this year said he would try to speed some parts of a pipeline that runs from Oklahoma to refineries on the Gulf of Mexico. That move could help reduce a glut of oil awaiting refining in the center of the country, but would not bring new supplies onto the market, energy analysts said. Those analysts also said Mr. Obama’s move wouldn’t actually speed up that process, since that portion of the pipeline was scheduled to begin construction this summer already.

source

by on May. 5, 2012 at 8:04 AM
Replies (11-14):
denise3680
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Quoting BannerElkHogans:

omg why is there always some koolaid drinking democrat in the back ground taking up for a Muslim/Non-american President-who's not even qualified to lead a country......let alone a group of adult's!

That is alot of hate, Are you tired?  I know carrying that much hate around has got to be tiring:/  I hope you are not teaching your children to be that way, smdh.

shannonnigans
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2012 at 2:35 AM
Do you have any clue about this? Do you know where this pipeline would go? Do you know what an aquifer is? Do you know what aquifer depletion is? Do you know what aquifer depletion means for the construction of an oil pipeline? Do you know what that could mean for an already decimated aquifer? Do you feel that the USGS is full of crap on this? The biggest non-story you've posted, and that is saying something.

I did find it ironic that you somehow ended up on the side of Obama's union supporters though, whom you usually label as communists. That has to have your stomach churning.
mrs_mckay
by on May. 6, 2012 at 2:40 AM
2 moms liked this

Do you have any idea how worthless tar sands are? In order to produce two barrels of oil, we have to use a barrel...no counting transport. It destroys miles of landscape and leaves nothing in its place.

Not to mention I live in the midwest and would like to keep my drinkable water...K thanks.

Carpy
by Ruby Member on May. 6, 2012 at 7:38 AM

Well, that bill to increase the cost of cigs taxes was vetoed by Bush three times.  They sat on it until Obama got in and he signed it immediately.

Quoting Raintree:

laughing

Uhoh! Look what you've started Candle!

Heaven help us that cigarettes are more expensive! And alcohol! And he did that ALL by his little lonesome?

Quoting BannerElkHogans:

all y'all people need to go to YOUTUBE.COM an then in the search type in (IF I WANTED AMERICA TO FAIL) Obama is doing every thing thats said an listed on you to ............i am praying he's not re-elected..........he's spent the last 3 yrs going on vacation,driving gas prices an alcohol an cigarettes up so i really hope this worthless SOB is not re- elected!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)