Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Seventh-Gay Adventist

Posted by on May. 5, 2012 at 9:44 AM
  • 72 Replies

Being a gay Christian isn’t easy, but being a gay Seventh-day Adventist is an especially difficult path because Adventism, to most, is more than a belief system; it’s also a close-knit community of belonging. The unique setting of Adventism, a worldwide denomination with 16 million members with distinct cultural markers, heightens this conflict. In many ways tangible and intangible, being Adventist is much more than subscribing to a set of beliefs. It is a way of life, a community not easily left.

Most Adventists follow strict dietary guidelines, attend church schools, go to church hospitals, and often have few friends outside of the church. By definition they attend church on Saturdays not Sunday, a practice which separates them even from other Christians. For someone immersed in the church, the culture and DNA of Adventism is almost like an ethnicity. They can no easier stop being Adventist than they can stop being gay.

For all its apparent peculiarities, Adventism does not deviate from the Christian mainstream in its condemnation of homosexuality. This leaves gay Adventists with a gut-wrenching decision. They have to choose between remaining a member in good standing in the church they love and the possibility of an intimate, loving relationship. Or is there a way to reconcile their faith and identity?

The film explores this intersection of faith, identity, and sexuality through the stories of gay and lesbian Adventists who are struggling with their desire to belong to the church they know and love and their need to be fully accepted for who they are.

Discuss!

by on May. 5, 2012 at 9:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on May. 5, 2012 at 10:28 AM

bump

Raintree
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Yeah, I'm bumping this, because I think it's interesting- although as usual, no one else seems to.

Maybe I should sensationalize the title.

12hellokitty
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2012 at 11:13 AM
2 moms liked this

Don't know much about Seventh Day Adventists, but it sounds like this person is looking for some type of loophole.  This is just one more example of those with in the gay community seeking approval for a lifestyle that goes against the teaching of their faith. 

Raintree
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Who is "this person"?

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Don't know much about Seventh Day Adventists, but it sounds like this person is looking for some type of loophole.  This is just one more example of those with in the gay community seeking approval for a lifestyle that goes against the teaching of their faith. 

TCgirlatheart
by TC on May. 5, 2012 at 11:27 AM
That looks very interesting. I can't even imagine what it must be like to walk in their shoes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Raintree
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Quoting TCgirlatheart:

That looks very interesting. I can't even imagine what it must be like to walk in their shoes.

I know one of the featured couples and their family very extensively. It isn't easy- because if it was just "oh, we'll just go to a different church that accepts Gay people" then it would be a lot easier- but it comes down to the cultural bubble that Adventism is.

I'm an atheist- but I'm an Adventist in culture. You don't lose that. I still go to church on occasion- all our friends and family go to church- our family life circles around the reality of that very permeating culture. I find myself still cleaning the house and cooking like mad before sunset on Friday. I find myself instantly relax when the sun disappears on the horizon. I find myself taking Saturday's incredibly easy- and if we go to church, I still enjoy the social aspect of being there. I don't eat unclean meats- I am a vegetarian, but I do cook chicken or beef for my grandpa on occasion. I won't cook pork (just cannot do it). I just got my ears pierced, and I'm struggling with how to tell my mom and step-dad- and how my in-laws will take it (they'll be even more irate than usual). Jewelry is a no-no for more conservative Adventists, although this rule has basically been abandoned by newer or more liberal Adventists. Even conservative Adventists are now wearing wedding bands.

So yes, the culture is HUGE. Oh, and I didn't even mention the school system and all that they produce as far as cultural influence.

circle_of_life
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2012 at 11:38 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't really understand why anyone would want to be a part of a faith or believe in a God that does not accept them for who they are. Why not study and learn about other ways of believing that are more accepting of gays?

Raintree
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Quoting circle_of_life:

I don't really understand why anyone would want to be a part of a faith or believe in a God that does not accept them for who they are. Why not study and learn about other ways of believing that are more accepting of gays?

I'm going to refer you to this portion of the OP-

In many ways tangible and intangible, being Adventist is much more than subscribing to a set of beliefs. It is a way of life, a community not easily left.

Most Adventists follow strict dietary guidelines, attend church schools, go to church hospitals, and often have few friends outside of the church. By definition they attend church on Saturdays not Sunday, a practice which separates them even from other Christians. For someone immersed in the church, the culture and DNA of Adventism is almost like an ethnicity. They can no easier stop being Adventist than they can stop being gay.

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2012 at 11:43 AM

They can no easier stop being Adventist than they can stop being gay.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

circle_of_life
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Quoting Raintree:

Quoting circle_of_life:

I'm going to refer you to this portion of the OP-

In many ways tangible and intangible, being Adventist is much more than subscribing to a set of beliefs. It is a way of life, a community not easily left.

Yeah, I read that. I guess I understand that it would be hard. But, it must be pretty much impossible to reconcile the faith with the gayness. And, just like you were saying, you aren't a believer but you still follow some of the guidelines. I guess if I were a gay person within that faith, I would have to pick and choose what I felt was right for me, and what was not as far as their beliefs go. But I would find it really hard to be gay and still believe that it's a sin to be gay. It must be a very tormented existence!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)