Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Being a gay Christian isn’t easy, but being a gay Seventh-day Adventist is an especially difficult path because Adventism, to most, is more than a belief system; it’s also a close-knit community of belonging. The unique setting of Adventism, a worldwide denomination with 16 million members with distinct cultural markers, heightens this conflict. In many ways tangible and intangible, being Adventist is much more than subscribing to a set of beliefs. It is a way of life, a community not easily left.

Most Adventists follow strict dietary guidelines, attend church schools, go to church hospitals, and often have few friends outside of the church. By definition they attend church on Saturdays not Sunday, a practice which separates them even from other Christians. For someone immersed in the church, the culture and DNA of Adventism is almost like an ethnicity. They can no easier stop being Adventist than they can stop being gay.

For all its apparent peculiarities, Adventism does not deviate from the Christian mainstream in its condemnation of homosexuality. This leaves gay Adventists with a gut-wrenching decision. They have to choose between remaining a member in good standing in the church they love and the possibility of an intimate, loving relationship. Or is there a way to reconcile their faith and identity?

The film explores this intersection of faith, identity, and sexuality through the stories of gay and lesbian Adventists who are struggling with their desire to belong to the church they know and love and their need to be fully accepted for who they are.

Discuss!

by on May. 5, 2012 at 9:44 AM
Replies (31-40):
TCgirlatheart
by TC on May. 5, 2012 at 1:28 PM
Oh, please do elaborate on that.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Sorry but I find it interesting how sympathetic the Atheists are in regards to faith when it comes to people who identify as gay.  The comments in this thread are a far cry form the sentiment being expressed towards Christians in other threads.... 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Donna6503
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2012 at 1:30 PM
Hey Rain, at least you didn't grow up in the "Children of God."
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Raintree
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Basically, yes. Ironic, huh?

Quoting Donna6503:

Wasn't the SDA founded by a women?

Quoting Raintree:

There are more fundamentalist spin-offs (sects), but they aren't under the banner or rule of the SDA general conference. Within the general conference, however, are very diverse views among individual churches.

One major issue that is fairly constant, and has had some recent happenings is the ordination of women. The world wide church is reluctant- even abundantly against the ordination of women, but australian, north american and european divisions are pro-ordination. This has created a rift that the GC has tried to reconcile by allowing individual unions to decide whether or not to ordain women. The first union to do so was the mid-american union, which represents Colorado, Wyoming, The Dakotas, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska and part of New Mexico- and is headquartered in LIncoln, Nebraska where I live. I know the people that voted for ordination on the committee, and I don't think I've had a more proud moment. We beat California, lol.

There are three couples profiled in the video- not just one person, by the way. It highlights the overall issue with more people- kind of why I put up the video.

Quoting Ziva65:

I didn't watch the video, but I have a lot of family that are Seventh Day... some sects are far more liberal than others, even accepting divorce, etc. Others, are so conservative they are in a private enclave as survivalists, and eat only raw vegetables...He'll find his place. That's likely why so many join a different church. If you choose a path that is different than the church's teachings, it will be hard no matter what.

Donna6503
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2012 at 1:56 PM
I was thinking that... Ellen White was considered a prophet if I remember correctly.

Quoting Raintree:

Quoting Donna6503:

Quoting Raintree:

There are more fundamentalist spin-offs (sects), but they aren't under the banner or rule of the SDA general conference. Within the general conference, however, are very diverse views among individual churches.

One major issue that is fairly constant, and has had some recent happenings is the ordination of women. The world wide church is reluctant- even abundantly against the ordination of women, but australian, north american and european divisions are pro-ordination. This has created a rift that the GC has tried to reconcile by allowing individual unions to decide whether or not to ordain women. The first union to do so was the mid-american union, which represents Colorado, Wyoming, The Dakotas, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska and part of New Mexico- and is headquartered in LIncoln, Nebraska where I live. I know the people that voted for ordination on the committee, and I don't think I've had a more proud moment. We beat California, lol.

There are three couples profiled in the video- not just one person, by the way. It highlights the overall issue with more people- kind of why I put up the video.

Quoting Ziva65:

I didn't watch the video, but I have a lot of family that are Seventh Day... some sects are far more liberal than others, even accepting divorce, etc. Others, are so conservative they are in a private enclave as survivalists, and eat only raw vegetables...He'll find his place. That's likely why so many join a different church. If you choose a path that is different than the church's teachings, it will be hard no matter what.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Raintree
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Quoting Donna6503:

I'm having a hard time with this issue because I can see and understand both sides. Still, I'm sure it is way harder for the people inside the video; because, they too understand the other sides arguements and reason.

Well, look at it this way- There is a distinct separation between 'sins'. You've got all kinds of sins that are recognized, but blown off by the church- and by most churches. Divorce, for example. Especially of the sort that could be called 'choice'- not caused by either party, no abuse, etc. That isn't held up as the same kind of 'choice' that homosexuality is. So, you've got gay people watching people on thier third marriages in the church and wondering why they can't just be in a monogamous relationship and attend church.

There has been some very sad things done to gay people to get them to just go away- and that could also be labeled as 'sin'- but of course is not.

I have a very good friend who came out a few years ago, who still attends church, and who receives a letter every week telling him about how awful it is to have him in church. The letters are never signed.

Raintree
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2012 at 2:00 PM

She was ordained, but steps have been taken to hide that in years past.

Quoting Donna6503:

I was thinking that... Ellen White was considered a prophet if I remember correctly.

Quoting Raintree:

Quoting Donna6503:

Quoting Raintree:

Quoting Ziva65:

Donna6503
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2012 at 3:09 PM
I do understand, trust me.

Quoting Raintree:

Quoting Donna6503:

I'm having a hard time with this issue because I can see and understand both sides. Still, I'm sure it is way harder for the people inside the video; because, they too understand the other sides arguements and reason.

Well, look at it this way- There is a distinct separation between 'sins'. You've got all kinds of sins that are recognized, but blown off by the church- and by most churches. Divorce, for example. Especially of the sort that could be called 'choice'- not caused by either party, no abuse, etc. That isn't held up as the same kind of 'choice' that homosexuality is. So, you've got gay people watching people on thier third marriages in the church and wondering why they can't just be in a monogamous relationship and attend church.

There has been some very sad things done to gay people to get them to just go away- and that could also be labeled as 'sin'- but of course is not.

I have a very good friend who came out a few years ago, who still attends church, and who receives a letter every week telling him about how awful it is to have him in church. The letters are never signed.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lissa0985
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2012 at 3:12 PM
That just scary. Luckily, no one really knows who the Children of God or the Family is around here.

Quoting Donna6503:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Donna6503
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2012 at 3:31 PM
No one really knows how bad it was. ... Trust me they're bad news.

Quoting Lissa0985:

That just scary. Luckily, no one really knows who the Children of God or the Family is around here.

Quoting Donna6503:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Allebas
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Very interesting!! I know a gal who was born and raised in a VERY strict SDA family. She has never gotten married, b/c she is a lesbian. She lives a celebate life b/c she KNOWS if she were to be with a woman, her family would literally disown her.

I also have a cousin who is a lesbian, but she is also a born again christian. She is also celebate due to her religious beliefs.

All I can say, is I feel sorry for ppl who have same-sex attraction! It has to be SOOO HARD!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured