Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Can babies BE racist? What's this now????

Posted by on May. 5, 2012 at 12:33 PM
  • 35 Replies

I remember posting about this in years past, here, and the reaction was one of shock and denial.

http://www.thegrio.com/specials/my-kid-would-never/can-babies-be-racist-new-study-suggests-9-month-olds-show-bias.php

I have no profound statement to make, lol...just wanted to SHARE.
Feel free to discuss. :D

Can babies be racist? New study suggests 9-month-olds show bias

By theGrio

4:51 PM on 05/04/2012

READ MORE: Amherst, Babies, Children, Prejudice, Racial Bias, Racism, Study

Can babies be racist? New study suggests 9-month-olds show bias
Join Our Mailing List
EMAIL

Love it
Inspiring
So Sad
ROTFL
SMH

Twitter

Email

The nature versus nurture debate when it comes to racism is an age-old one. A new study from the University of Massachusetts, Amherst purports to have discovered new evidence of how early racial bias and prejudice can begin. Reportedly signs appeared in their test subjects as early as 9 months old. The Huffington Post reports:

Adults have more difficulty recognizing faces that belong to people of another race, and this deficit appears to start early.

New research indicates that by the time they are 9 months old, babies are better able to recognize faces and emotional expressions of people who belong to the group they interact with most, than they are those of people who belong to another race.

Babies don't start out this way; younger infants appear equally able to tell people apart, regardless of race.

"These results suggest that biases in face recognition and perception begin in preverbal infants, well before concepts about race are formed. It is important for us to understand the nature of these biases in order to reduce or eliminate [the biases]," said study researcher Lisa Scott, a psychologist at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst, in a statement. [3-Year-Olds Fancy Own Ethnic Group]

Click here to read the rest of this story.

by on May. 5, 2012 at 12:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stormcris
by Christy on May. 5, 2012 at 12:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I was recently reading something on scientific racism. With a study such as this that appears to only look to one race for answers it seems to be in line with this.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on May. 5, 2012 at 12:43 PM

I giggled when I read that the babies were being monitored with brain wave gear.

I want to try to understand how a person can come to realize how to understand brain wave activity and how it might be different in an immature brain, like in an infant. Is it comparative data based solely on the data collected from the 5 month old babies? Is it data compared to the brain activity of a person who admits s/he has biases and racial prejudices?

Radarma
by "OneDar" on May. 5, 2012 at 12:44 PM

I am slammed here today...family coming, two ball games to make, BUT...this is really why this topic interests me so damn much.

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on May. 5, 2012 at 12:45 PM
This isn't racism or even bias

It's funny, you been gone quite awhile and come back with all racial posts again

Does anything else interest you? Just curious
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2012 at 12:45 PM
2 moms liked this

Lol at this "study."  Very unscientific.  What are they comparing it to?

Anyways.

Radarma
by "OneDar" on May. 5, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

This isn't racism or even bias

It's funny, you been gone quite awhile and come back with all racial posts again

Does anything else interest you? Just curious

Tons of things do...but this is pretty close to the top.

Nice to see you Sweets.

ETA: Here ya go sweets, since you like to track me. ;)

by Radarma May. 2, 2012 at 11:43 AM

posted to Let's Talk! Click here to see more posts...

May. 3, 2012 at 9:58 AM
by isell_avon

by Radarma Apr. 29, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:20 PM
by EireLass

by Radarma Apr. 27, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Apr. 27, 2012 at 10:09 PM
by kailu1835

by Radarma Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Apr. 28, 2012 at 7:26 PM
by Redwall

by Radarma Apr. 28, 2012 at 5:49 PM

posted to Let's Talk! Click here to see more posts

sunshinebebe26
by on May. 5, 2012 at 12:58 PM

ok well my daughter is only around white people for the most part except when her daddy's best friend comes down from houston (he's a black guy) usually every other weekend and besides me and daddy Reggie is her favorite person she loves lil wayne. How to love plays on repeat all night every night she loves that song and its her bedtime routine if it's not on she's not sleeping. she is 7 months old 

romalove
by Roma on May. 5, 2012 at 12:59 PM
11 moms liked this

Babies are inherently evil.  I have proof.

They grow up to be teenagers.

::shudders::

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on May. 5, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Quoting sunshinebebe26:

ok well my daughter is only around white people for the most part except when her daddy's best friend comes down from houston (he's a black guy) usually every other weekend and besides me and daddy Reggie is her favorite person she loves lil wayne. How to love plays on repeat all night every night she loves that song and its her bedtime routine if it's not on she's not sleeping. she is 7 months old 

are anecdotes relevant to this topic?

sunshinebebe26
by on May. 5, 2012 at 1:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting sunshinebebe26:

are anecdotes relevant to this topic?

No not really, I just love my baby and she's like my favorite topic sorry lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)