Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
I am throwing my SiL a baby shower next weekend and we sent out about 25 invitations almost a month ago asking for RSVPs by today. I have received four. FOUR!!! In my opinion, it is tacky and unacceptable. A friend of mine is putting together favor bags and I can not tell her how many to make. I dont know how many cake pops to make. And i can't go to the store to buy culs, plates, etc without an estimate on how many people are going to show up. WtFH!!!!! Ladies, do you RSVP when asked to do so?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 5, 2012 at 5:20 PM
Replies (31-40):
Lunarprancer
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Quoting Sisteract:

Quoting Lunarprancer:

If I don't say we will be there, that means we won't, right?  Yes, really.  My daughter is four, I don't know you just because our kids attend a pre-school class together. 

Quoting Sisteract:

Quoting Lunarprancer:

I do if we will be attending, I don't if we won't.  I am constantly getting invites to things put in my dd's cubby at school.  I don't have time, or the memory really, to politely decline each one.

REALLY?

A 30 second at most, message on an answering machine (no one ever answers their phone anymore).

Manners?

How are you ever going to meet people if you blow off events because "we do not know you?"

Everyone is busy-

Did I say we blow off events because we don't know you?  Then, you assume that we don't meet people?  I guess I don't understand this post.  If you invite someone somewhere and they don't RSVP, you can assume that they are unable to attend, right?

With light and love

gracieb3
by on May. 5, 2012 at 7:29 PM

I do but I too have noticed it's a dying action. It's shameful the disrespect given to a host these days for her to appropriately plan. 

punky3175
by Punky on May. 5, 2012 at 7:32 PM
I RSVP regardless of event or method of invitation. I do like e-vite a lot. It makes it easier for people to RSVP...if they check e-mail anyway.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sisteract
by Whoopie on May. 5, 2012 at 7:37 PM

vvQuoting Lunarprancer:

If I don't say we will be there, that means we won't, right?  Yes, really.  My daughter is four, I don't know you just because our kids attend a pre-school class together. 

I took this to mean that your 4 yo is getting invites that you ignore because you do not know the child/family and will not be attending-
Sisteract
by Whoopie on May. 5, 2012 at 7:40 PM
2 moms liked this

I was taught that if the invite says RSVP- it means you reply either way (attending or not).

Regrets only=  those NOT planning on attending should reply.

I think the actual meaning of RSVP is misconstrued-

chrissy2107
by on May. 5, 2012 at 7:41 PM
Yes i do and i had the same problem, only @ 50 did out of 110
romalove
by Roma on May. 5, 2012 at 7:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I own a party business.  I ask my clients to give me a final count four days before the party.  They normally have at least two or three weeks to distribute invitations, etc.  I have to prepare the materials for each party, and need a good count.  I can't tell you how often someone is giving me extra people or deleting people all the way up to the day of the party.

People are just plain rude.

Peephy
by on May. 5, 2012 at 7:45 PM

YES! Though i'm not sure what is worse, people not doing it, or people who do rsvp and then don't actually show up.  Had that happen with our reception - multiple family members on my side rsvp and didn't even show, or say last minute there weren't going to show! Ended up having enough food to feed 100 people, but only around 50 showed.  It was such a waste of food :(

~Let go, and Let God~

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2012 at 9:12 PM
The case you are talking about is totally different. If somebody just blanket invites a whole class the i can see that it would be okay to assume no rsvp=not coming to a near strangers party. Personally I would still take the 30 seconds to call or email but I see your point in that situation. But when a formal invite is sent to specifically chosen people and a response is specifically requested) it is downright rude not to do so.

Quoting Lunarprancer:

Quoting Sisteract:

Quoting Lunarprancer:

I do if we will be attending, I don't if we won't.  I am constantly getting invites to things put in my dd's cubby at school.  I don't have time, or the memory really, to politely decline each one.

REALLY?

A 30 second at most, message on an answering machine (no one ever answers their phone anymore).

Manners?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TugBoatMama
by on May. 5, 2012 at 9:13 PM
Always. But others rarely return the favor.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)