Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Gary Johnson wins 2012 Libertarian Nomination

Posted by   + Show Post

LAS VEGAS -- Former New Mexico Gov. Gary Johnson is campaigning to win the White House as a Libertarian after receiving scant attention in the Republican presidential race.

Johnson easily became the party's presidential nominee at the Libertarian national convention in Las Vegas on Saturday. He hopes to appeal to voters fed up with the traditional two-party system this November.

Johnson was a longshot candidate for the Republican presidential nomination when he announced in December that he would instead pursue the Libertarian ticket.

Read more: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/05/gary-johnson-2012-libertarian-nomination_n_1485044.html

H.R.H. Friday of MaryJane

by on May. 5, 2012 at 8:01 PM
Replies (11-16):
H_Tunisia_Remix
by on May. 6, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Quoting nuclear_sugar:

Ditto. I voted Obama in the last election...and I was impressed by his ideas. I am decidedly unimpressed by his follow-through. And judging by Johnson's record in New Mexico, I'd say follow-through is something he has proven is part of his governing ability.

On the other hand, I'd hate to feel like voting for a 3rd-party candidate would be akin to wasting a vote, or taking one away from the Democratic candidate. I would definitely not be pleased by a win for Romney.

Quoting Friday:

Quoting nuclear_sugar:

Uhoh...this may complicate my voting decision. I have been interested in Johnson for a while now.

Me too. I hoped he would get the GOP nod and have a serious chance but considering the choices I'm going to be pondering this decision for a bit. Obama better step up and impress me before Nov, I sure as heck ain't voting for Romney.

Tired of choosing between a Giant Douche and a Turd Sandwich.

I used to feel like the underlined, HOWEVER, I have recently decided no matter what I will vote in line with my political beliefs (Libertarian here). The more we worry about throwing away our votes the longer a 2 party system will last. The sooner more people start voting for what they actually want the more likely other options will begin to be viable and have a chance to make change in the near future.

JanuaryBaby06
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2012 at 9:05 PM

i love him! i wanted him to get the repub. nod but the press ignored him (which is probably for the best since the repub party right now is a little extreme and he is not... he is socially lenientand just conservative on fiscel matters so he may not have gotten far in theprimarys because it's mostly extremists that vote during the primarys the numbers go way up for the general election, crazy repubs wouldnt have allowedhim to win).! People have to realize that in order to over through this 2 party system that most hate and that is very corrupt the people have to stand up!

The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms

Citygirlk
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2012 at 10:15 PM

woohoo

Friday
by HRH of MJ on May. 6, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Quoting nuclear_sugar:

Ditto. I voted Obama in the last election...and I was impressed by his ideas. I am decidedly unimpressed by his follow-through. And judging by Johnson's record in New Mexico, I'd say follow-through is something he has proven is part of his governing ability.

On the other hand, I'd hate to feel like voting for a 3rd-party candidate would be akin to wasting a vote, or taking one away from the Democratic candidate. I would definitely not be pleased by a win for Romney.

Quoting Friday:

Quoting nuclear_sugar:

Uhoh...this may complicate my voting decision. I have been interested in Johnson for a while now.

Me too. I hoped he would get the GOP nod and have a serious chance but considering the choices I'm going to be pondering this decision for a bit. Obama better step up and impress me before Nov, I sure as heck ain't voting for Romney.

Tired of choosing between a Giant Douche and a Turd Sandwich.

That's exactly where I am. I'd rather vote for Johnson but might feel compelled to vote against Romney.

H.R.H. Friday of MaryJane

lga1965
by on May. 6, 2012 at 11:43 PM

The problem with this Johnson guy is that many have never heard of him. Unless you are in touch with Libertarians and live in New Mexico, he isn't well know., I don't know how well voting for a third party will work out. He won't win. DO you really want Romney to win? I am now thinking he isn't the best that the Repubs could do. But then....he is better than the others he was running with. Thank goodness we don't have Bachman or Perry or Santorum in the running anymore.

Donna6503
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2012 at 10:50 AM
My point is this Friday, and take no offense but my view is this, most 3rd party candidates have just the one issues that set them apart. They maybe vague; ie, constitutionalist or very focus, like flax taxers. Yet, Larry Johnson may thing is legalization of drugs; which is an issue that tends to pull people from the left more then the right. Still, I feel that the libertarians won't pull more then .4% of the national vote or about 500,000 votes.

Quoting Friday:

Quoting Donna6503:

This time the Libertarian Party is going to take votes away from the Democrats instead of the GOP.

Oh well, Obama just lost .02% of the vote to Romney.

Many on the right in this group have insisted that any vote not for Romney is for Obama. Interesting to see a different perspective.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN