Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Arizona bans funding of Planned Parenthood

Posted by   + Show Post

Arizona bans funding of Planned Parenthood

By the CNN Wire Staff
updated 9:08 PM EDT, Sat May 5, 2012
Gov. Jan Brewer said she stands
Gov. Jan Brewer said she stands "with the majority of Americans" who she says oppose taxpayer-funded abortions.

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Gov. Jan Brewer signs the bill into law
  • She says the "common sense law ... closes loopholes"
  • Planned Parenthood says the measure will put the health of thousands at risk

(CNN) -- Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer has signed off on a bill that will prevent abortion providers like Planned Parenthood from receiving public funds in most cases, her office said.

"This is a common sense law that tightens existing state regulations and closes loopholes in order to ensure that taxpayer dollars are not used to fund abortions, whether directly or indirectly," the governor said in a statement.

"By signing this measure into law, I stand with the majority of Americans who oppose the use of taxpayer funds for abortion," Brewer said.

Kansas, North Carolina and Texas have enacted similar legislation, while Indiana, New Jersey and Wisconsin have used their budget processes to bar funding for abortion providers, according to her office.

Before Brewer signed the bill into law, the political arm of Planned Parenthood Arizona slammed the measure, which it says will put the health of thousands at risk.

Besides operating clinics where abortions are performed, Planned Parenthood provides a range of health services including cancer screenings, birth control, vaccinations, sexual health education and health counseling.

"Many in the legislature will never know what it's like to feel a lump in their breast and have to worry about the cost of a doctor's visit," said Bryan Howard, president and chief executive of Planned Parenthood Arizona.

"This is the reality with which many Arizona women are faced, at the hands of a legislature determined to reduce access to prevention care while pursuing its ideological political agenda," he said.

by on May. 5, 2012 at 10:32 PM
Replies (171-175):
new_mom808
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Quoting NWP:

Don't these fools know that their states are going to lose millions to PA, medicaid and foster care for all these children that they are going to force to be born by restricting access to bc and abortion?

This has nothing to do with fiscal responsibility (isn't that a republican tag line?) and everything to do with legislating a religious morality.

This is like claiming that restraunts are restricting access to lobster.

Everyone is still free to get an abortion. PP will still offer them; they still get millions in private grants.

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Nothing to see here.

Quoting LauraKW:

Obviously, what with all those bills and laws from the Dems to restrict women's healthcare. All made up.

Quoting NWP:

Nope..No war on women. The democrats are making it all up.

Quoting LauraKW:

Nope, no war on women here.

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2012 at 9:16 PM
1 mom liked this

PP is a fabulous organization and will endure despite idiotic attempts to further marginalize the already marginalized. AZ and TX are wasting far more taxpayer dollars legislating this nonsense than they are actually helping the precious lil' poster baby. It's a trainwreck to watch and truly disheartening on a national scale. We pander to this? Who is voting for these people?

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

My sources for what, that PP uses government funds to help provide health care?

1.  The Hyde Amendment

2.  The fact that most (all?) states have banned government funds from paying for abortions

3.  The fact that PP provides it's services on a sliding scale, depenant upon income level, for low-income people

4.  Title X

In other words, it's pretty common knowledge.  What do you think they are using it for, lunch?  Oh right, for the 3% of abortions that women must pay out of pocket for.

PP is the LARGEST provider of reproductive health care in the US.  For some women, it's the only resource they've got - therefore, the government subsidizes part of the cost, which in turn saves the government money as they don't have to open a million clinics up all over the place.

Honestly, we are so far off the topic now it's not even funny, and I absolutely cannot believe I have to explain these very basic facts to a person that has the internet but apparently only uses it to read things that fit her own belief system.

I'll tell you again:  I know TWO women who's cancers were detected because of PP.  And it's where I got my first-ever contraception.

Quoting ElitestJen:

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Soooo...... PP should pay it's employees LESS than the market rate, because they use government funds to provide health care to men and women?

That is one helluva argument.

Where are your sources again?  (This is the third time I've asked)

ElitestJen
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

My sources for what, that PP uses government funds to help provide health care?

1.  The Hyde Amendment

2.  The fact that most (all?) states have banned government funds from paying for abortions

3.  The fact that PP provides it's services on a sliding scale, depenant upon income level, for low-income people

4.  Title X

In other words, it's pretty common knowledge.  What do you think they are using it for, lunch?  Oh right, for the 3% of abortions that women must pay out of pocket for.

PP is the LARGEST provider of reproductive health care in the US.  For some women, it's the only resource they've got - therefore, the government subsidizes part of the cost, which in turn saves the government money as they don't have to open a million clinics up all over the place.

Honestly, we are so far off the topic now it's not even funny, and I absolutely cannot believe I have to explain these very basic facts to a person that has the internet but apparently only uses it to read things that fit her own belief system.

I'll tell you again:  I know TWO women who's cancers were detected because of PP.  And it's where I got my first-ever contraception.

The Hyde Amendment is actually federal. 

Some states do provide money to Medicaid for abortions.

Who argued that PP offers services on a sliding scale?  I didn't.  In fact, that's right in line with their mission.  Keeping the poor and minorities from reproducing.  Population control.  Hoorah!

Title X is funding.  Again, it regulates how PP collects federal monies....not how those monies are spent.

How predictible that you're towing the party line without actually saying anything.  You haven't disproved anything.  You haven't debunked anything.  In fact, all you've done is the stereotypical democratic thing of calling someone stupid.  Think outside the box for a few minutes.  The air is pretty clear.

Ok.  Is there a reason you're repeating yourself about where you get contraception and cancers?  Is there a point?  Is there not another resource for such diagnostics in your area except PP?  Basically, all you've done is show that PP's brainwashing works.  People go there.  Congrats?  Why does that mean we have to continue to fund them?

NWP
by guerrilla girl on May. 7, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Of course you are right. There are plenty of people who are upset at these bans..not only in Arizona, but in Texas, Wisconsin, Georgia and all the other states that are testing these waters. And it isn't only the dems who are turned off by this stuff. After all, we are all women regardless of political affiliation.

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

She attempts to appease her party, which is normal but she does so by making uneducated decisions too often.

I read your other comment below this one and while Brewer represents Arizona as our govenor, she does not represent how many feel on this topic.

There are a lot of Arizonans up in arms over this ban right now. This thumbs down you gave belongs to Brewer; not all of AZ.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)