Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Would you all please explain to me, what exactly is the war on women?  Is it about abortion rights?  If that is it, then, why is that called a war on women?  It seems to me that the women in this country are split pretty evenly when it comes to pro life vs. pro abortion.  I am a woman who will never have an abortion, so how could this be a war on me?  What rights have been taken from me?

I think there is no such thing as a war on women, but this catch phrase is cirulating like gossip among women. 

by on May. 6, 2012 at 2:23 AM
Replies (31-40):
romalove
by Roma on May. 6, 2012 at 7:33 AM
8 moms liked this

There is a real war on women's rights.  It has been ongoing for a long time.

After Roe v. Wade made abortion legal from a Constitutional standpoint, those who are against the procedure have been going around the pesky problem of legality by making abortions increasingly difficult to obtain.

First, the states have slowly been adding levels of difficulty in obtaining abortions.  These laws would include the law in discussion here banning the procedure after 20 weeks, or laws saying you have to watch certain videos, have a cooling off period, need ultrasounds, etc.  Things that either add expense or time or make the woman uncomfortable are all in this category.

An aside:  The 20 week law is infuriating because it still wants to take decision making out of the hands of the woman.  Do we really think that women are going through half a pregnancy and then deciding "you know what, never mind?"  Many of the tests that women take to determine the health and condition of the fetus are done right before that marker, and it will close a window for a woman to abort a baby who might be born in severe pain and with no chance of life.  It also doesn't take into account a woman's life and health, and the ability to abort if it was required to save her own life.

Second, many areas have no abortion providers at all because it isn't worth the expense and hassle for potential providers to have those services at their offices.  The additional costs for insurance, plus the constant harrassment makes abortion a very tricky thing for many doctors, who opt not to do so because the costs to them outweigh their desire to benefit their patients.  p.s.  On this note, there are also places that are without good OB care altogether because the malpractice insurance is so high the doctors don't want to deliver babies at all.

Thirdly, the insurance issue with birth control once again takes something that is a prescription drug for women and making it "optional" for coverage.  There is nothing equivalent for men that insurance does not routinely cover.  Women who work and are paying towards their insurance premiums are entitled to the same coverage for things that affect her as men are for their medications.  Many women take contraceptives for reasons that have nothing to do with birth control.  It is offensive that these necessary medications are considered not necessary because that benefits a select few (insurance companies, the religious who don't want anyone to use birth control, etc.).

You may not like the idea that there is a war on women's rights, but it is there, and it is real, and it should be stopped.

Lacey14
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Quoting romalove:

After Roe v. Wade made abortion legal from a Constitutional standpoint, those who are against the procedure have been going around the pesky problem of legality by making abortions increasingly difficult to obtain. This is not really a war on women's rights.  It is a battle between Pro Life and Pro Choice and many women are in the Pro Life group.  Calling it a war on women's rights, is just a real attention getter and created to incite women.

First, the states have slowly been adding levels of difficulty in obtaining abortions.  These laws would include the law in discussion here banning the procedure after 20 weeks, or laws saying you have to watch certain videos, have a cooling off period, need ultrasounds, etc.  Things that either add expense or time or make the woman uncomfortable are all in this category.

An aside:  The 20 week law is infuriating because it still wants to take decision making out of the hands of the woman.  Do we really think that women are going through half a pregnancy and then deciding "you know what, never mind?"  Many of the tests that women take to determine the health and condition of the fetus are done right before that marker, and it will close a window for a woman to abort a baby who might be born in severe pain and with no chance of life.  First you say a woman wouldn't wait that long to make a decision, and then you say many take the test right before the 20 week marker. It also doesn't take into account a woman's life and health, and the ability to abort if it was required to save her own life.

Second, many areas have no abortion providers at all because it isn't worth the expense and hassle for potential providers to have those services at their offices.  The additional costs for insurance, plus the constant harrassment makes abortion a very tricky thing for many doctors, who opt not to do so because the costs to them outweigh their desire to benefit their patients.  p.s.  On this note, there are also places that are without good OB care altogether because the malpractice insurance is so high the doctors don't want to deliver babies at all.

Thirdly, the insurance issue with birth control once again takes something that is a prescription drug for women and making it "optional" for coverage.   There is nothing equivalent for men that insurance does not routinely cover.  Women who work and are paying towards their insurance premiums are entitled to the same coverage for things that affect her as men are for their medications.  Many women take contraceptives for reasons that have nothing to do with birth control.  It is offensive that these necessary medications are considered not necessary because that benefits a select few (insurance companies, the religious who don't want anyone to use birth control, etc.).

You may not like the idea that there is a war on women's rights, but it is there, and it is real, and it should be stopped. I've read comments on the internet that women are fearing having their rights taken away, and being forced to go back to the dark ages or whatever.  Implying that their right to vote, earn equal pay, etc is something the conservatives will eventually cause them to lose.  This notion is just fear mongering.  The argument is about abortion and now recently about BC.   Don't we have enough war and dissention among ourselves today without creating a huge men vs. women issue?  Who is this enemy declaring war on women?  If we need more women making our laws and running our country, then we would be wiser to start encouraging more women to run for office and then supporting them when they do.

romalove
by Roma on May. 6, 2012 at 9:15 AM
6 moms liked this

Quoting Lacey14:

Quoting romalove:

After Roe v. Wade made abortion legal from a Constitutional standpoint, those who are against the procedure have been going around the pesky problem of legality by making abortions increasingly difficult to obtain. This is not really a war on women's rights.  It is a battle between Pro Life and Pro Choice and many women are in the Pro Life group.  Calling it a war on women's rights, is just a real attention getter and created to incite women.

An aside:  The 20 week law is infuriating because it still wants to take decision making out of the hands of the woman.  Do we really think that women are going through half a pregnancy and then deciding "you know what, never mind?"  Many of the tests that women take to determine the health and condition of the fetus are done right before that marker, and it will close a window for a woman to abort a baby who might be born in severe pain and with no chance of life.  First you say a woman wouldn't wait that long to make a decision, and then you say many take the test right before the 20 week marker. It also doesn't take into account a woman's life and health, and the ability to abort if it was required to save her own life.

Thirdly, the insurance issue with birth control once again takes something that is a prescription drug for women and making it "optional" for coverage.   There is nothing equivalent for men that insurance does not routinely cover.  Women who work and are paying towards their insurance premiums are entitled to the same coverage for things that affect her as men are for their medications.  Many women take contraceptives for reasons that have nothing to do with birth control.  It is offensive that these necessary medications are considered not necessary because that benefits a select few (insurance companies, the religious who don't want anyone to use birth control, etc.).

You may not like the idea that there is a war on women's rights, but it is there, and it is real, and it should be stopped. I've read comments on the internet that women are fearing having their rights taken away, and being forced to go back to the dark ages or whatever.  Implying that their right to vote, earn equal pay, etc is something the conservatives will eventually cause them to lose.  This notion is just fear mongering.  The argument is about abortion and now recently about BC.   Don't we have enough war and dissention among ourselves today without creating a huge men vs. women issue?  Who is this enemy declaring war on women?  If we need more women making our laws and running our country, then we would be wiser to start encouraging more women to run for office and then supporting them when they do.

The women who don't want abortion don't have to have one; that they want to make it that no woman can have an abortion means they are trying to control other women, and whether they are men or women who hold that view, it is anti-woman in my opinion.  Roe v. Wade was supposed to settle this issue, but unfortunately, those who wish to control what other women do with their bodies are coming up with many ways to get around the settled law.  This does feel like an assault on a right that many women fought long and hard to get.

There are tests that aren't taken until right before that 20 week marker because that's when the doctors tell the woman to take them, not because that's when she chooses to.  There are also times women find out information about their pregnancies after that point and to say no one can abort means women who need to for their own life and health, or because they don't want to give birth to a baby that will be born only to suffer for a short time and then die won't have the option to terminate.  It substitutes the judgement of someone other than the woman and her doctor as to how best to proceed.

I don't think most women are worrying about losing voting rights, and certainly women are fighting to try and make what men earn (still isn't happening), but the control over their reproductive health is a very big deal to most women, and I know I don't want to give that over to someone else, or the government.

I hate using "conservative" and "liberal" labels because I feel I'm a mix of opinions and I am not alone in this.  The conservatives who want to reverse gains that women have made in determining their own reproductive health are the enemy, since you asked who the enemy is declaring this war on women.  You're right, it would be better if there were more women in power, but in America, it is difficult to convince good women to run when they know they are opening not only themselves but their families to the bruising scrutiny of a campaign, plus men control the money and it's hard for women to get parity.

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2012 at 9:24 AM
5 moms liked this
Quoting Lacey14:

Would you all please explain to me, what exactly is the war on women?  Is it about abortion rights?  If that is it, then, why is that called a war on women?  It seems to me that the women in this country are split pretty evenly when it comes to pro life vs. pro abortion.  I am a woman who will never have an abortion, so how could this be a war on me?  What rights have been taken from me?

I think there is no such thing as a war on women, but this catch phrase is cirulating like gossip among women. 

well, you answered your own question. What does it have to do with u? Nothing. But, most of us care about the rights of others and aren't selfish and self-centered in our views

Stephanie329
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2012 at 9:43 AM
1 mom liked this
No, it wasn't like that at all. He stated that cows do it so that must be how nature intended it to be.

Quoting motherslove82:

I think it was more along the lines of "it's heartbreaking when a pig or a cow gives birth to dead babies, so i can't imagine how sad it is when a woman does it". Maybe the birth of animals is the only experience he has with birth, so that's why he brought it up. It doesn't in anyway mean that he sees women as live stock.

Quoting jllcali:

It's pretty absurd to even bring up livestock in a serious discussion about women, unless, of course, one sees women as no different than livestock.

Quoting motherslove82:

If anyone ever bothers to read any of these so called "war on women" laws, they will find out that none of them even remotely say what the media is trying to say that they say. The law they are talking about was to eliminate abortion after 20 weeks. I live in Georgia. Nobody was trying to make women carry stillborn babies. He made a bone headed comment trying to empathize with women who lost babies after 20 weeks saying that it was heartbreaking when farm animals lost their babies too. He was not saying women should have to carry those babies. Livestock give birth to stillborn fetuses. Most women who have babies die in utero also end up having to deliver those babies in one way or another. No one was suggesting that they should have to carry them until their due date. That's just ridiculous. BTW, when an article is quoting someone, readers should pay more attention to what the person actually says instead of whatever comes after the phrase "in other words..." and then some ridiculous paraphrasing.

Quoting KittenKrump:

Let me sum this up for you. In Georgia, there was a man in government that proposed women should be forced to carry their still born children to full term! He claimed to sympathize with women because, "Cows and pigs have to do it all the time." Yes, this is a war on you.

http://blisstree.com/live/georgia-rep-wants-to-force-women-to-carry-stillborn-fetuses-like-cows-do-693/

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jacquih1126
by Member on May. 6, 2012 at 9:55 AM
4 moms liked this

Top 10 Shocking Attacks from the GOP's War on Women

1) Republicans not only want to reduce women's access to abortion care, they're actually trying to redefine rape. After a major backlash, they promised to stop. But they haven't yet. Shocker.

2) A state legislator in Georgia wants to change the legal term for victims of rape, stalking, and domestic violence to "accuser." But victims of other less gendered crimes, like burglary, would remain "victims."

3) In South Dakota, Republicans proposed a bill that couldmake it legal to murder a doctor who provides abortion care. (Yep, for real.)

4) Republicans want to cut nearly a billion dollars of food and other aid to low-income pregnant women, mothers, babies, and kids. 

5) In Congress, Republicans have a bill that would let hospitals allow a woman to die rather than perform an abortion necessary to save her life. 

6) Maryland Republicans ended all county money for a low-income kids' preschool program. Why? No need, they said.Women should really be home with the kids, not out working. 

7) And at the federal level, Republicans want to cut that same program, Head Start, by $1 billion. That means over 200,000 kids could lose their spots in preschool.

8) Two-thirds of the elderly poor are women, and Republicans are taking aim at them too. A spending bill would cut funding for employment services, meals, and housing for senior citizens.

9) Congress just voted for a Republican amendment to cut all federal funding from Planned Parenthood health centers, one of the most trusted providers of basic health care and family planning in our country.

10) And if that wasn't enough, Republicans are pushing to eliminate all funds for the only federal family planning program. (For humans. But Republican Dan Burton has a bill to provide contraception for wild horses. You can't make this stuff up).

punky3175
by on May. 6, 2012 at 10:25 AM
8 moms liked this
It's 'pro-choice' not 'pro-abortion'. No pro-choicer is out there trying to force women to have abortions who do not want them. Unlike 'pro-lifers' who want to tell a woman what choices she must make with her own body.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
terpmama
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2012 at 10:37 AM
2 moms liked this
Because it is a medication that does more than just prevent pregnancy. It can also regulate a woman's cycle (thus helping hormonal imbalances)... It can also help with women who have endometreosis, heavy bleeding and cramps that are debilitating.

Quoting Lacey14:

Quoting KittenKrump:

This is why I get so passionate about this stuff and people like the OP make me so mad because they don't even care enough to become educated on something that can lead to death!!!! And I doubt it will pass, but the fact that it is even being proposed is an affront to women everywhere, whether they want a child or not! And the BC and abortion issues affect everyone! Where do you draw the line?

And, OP, the BC issue, since you're probably uneducated about that as well, is because some employers are wanting to refuse BC on the insurance that the women pay for! I know my husband pays for our insurance and if that's not paying, I'd like to know where in the fuck over $100 of the paycheck goes! I demand to be given what I am paying for, it doesn't matter where I work! This is not about free BC, not at all, medicaid already pays for BC, there is no debate on that, this BC debate is about whether or nor some private institutions should not be held to the same standards as other private institutions.

Quoting Gabeandcalebsmo:

Quoting KittenKrump:

Let me sum this up for you. In Georgia, there was a man in government that proposed women should be forced to carry their still born children to full term! He claimed to sympathize with women because, "Cows and pigs have to do it all the time." Yes, this is a war on you.

http://blisstree.com/live/georgia-rep-wants-to-force-women-to-carry-stillborn-fetuses-like-cows-do-693/

I really do need to watch more TV, I am in GA and did not know this!

Why do you think anyone, other than you and your husband, should pay for birth control?  Whether you conceive or not, is not the responsibility of anyone but you two.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2klca
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2012 at 10:48 AM
1 mom liked this

There is no "war on women" in the US. The left is pretending there is, in order to get Obama re-elected. Why aren't liberals concerned about the real "war on women" in places like Afghanistan, where women are beaten and killed? Since US forces have been there, conditions have improved for those women. But now Obama thinks its a good idea to negotiate with the terrorists who are responsible for the real war on women?! Terrorists who are notorious for NOT doing what they say they will do. 

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on May. 6, 2012 at 11:00 AM
1 mom liked this

sigh

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)