Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

AT&T to pay Muslim woman $5M in harassment case

Posted by   + Show Post

A former Kansas City woman who converted to Islam in 2005 said she was harassed for years at AT&T, and that the abuse boiled over in 2008 when her boss snatched her head scarf and exposed her hair.

A Jackson County jury on Thursday awarded Susann Bashir $5 million in punitive damages in her discrimination lawsuit, along with $120,000 in lost wages and other actual damages.

The Kansas City Star (http://bit.ly/JKWbqR ) reported Saturday the award appears to be the largest jury verdict for a workplace discrimination case in Missouri history.

Bashir said in court documents that her work environment became hostile immediately after she converted, with her co-workers making harassing comments about her religion and referring to her hijab as "that thing on her head."

"I was shocked. I thought, 'What is going on?'" she told the newspaper. "Nobody ever cared what I wore before. Nobody ever cared what religion I was before."

Bashir worked at AT&T's office in Kansas City for 10 years as a fiber optics network builder before being fired from her $70,000-a-year job. She claimed she endured religious discrimination nearly every day of the final three years she worked there, including being asked if she was going to blow up the building and being called a "towelhead" and a terrorist.

AT&T said Friday it disagrees with the verdict and plans to appeal.

Despite the jury's award, Bashir stands to receive much less than $5 million because Missouri law caps such awards at five times the actual damage amount, plus attorney fees.

Amy Coopman, Bashir's lawyer, said attorney fees will be determined later by the judge.

The previous largest such verdict came in 2009, when Mohamed Alhalabi, an Arab-American Muslim, was awarded $811,949 in St. Louis County Circuit Court in a case against the Missouri Department of Natural Resources.

That same year, a Jonesboro, Ark., jury ordered AT&T to pay $1.3 million to two former employees fired for attending a Jehovah's Witnesses convention.

Bashir said she called an employee help line in March 2005 and asked the company to provide sensitivity training for her co-workers.

"It was a worthless call," she said. "Nothing ever changed."

The harassment continued and in March 2008, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission launched an investigation after she filed a complaint.

She said that made some workers angry and led to the final encounter with her boss.

http://news.yahoo.com/t-pay-muslim-woman-5m-harassment-case-192536716--finance.html

by on May. 6, 2012 at 11:37 AM
Replies (21-30):
muslimah
by on May. 6, 2012 at 4:06 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting momtimesx4:

Quoting TCgirlatheart:

What is wrong with you.

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

Wow...now we have have another Muslim running around with more money  to fund terrorism of  Christian American Citizens. 

What they said is what many think, whether or not they will admit it.

Terrorists attacked America
Terrorists were Muslim
Terrorists=Muslim
Muslim=Terrorist

Well there it is there I guess that makes me a terrorist... NOT b-tch

Click to join

momtimesx4
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Quoting ButterMeUp:

Quoting momtimesx4:

Quoting TCgirlatheart:

What is wrong with you.

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

Wow...now we have have another Muslim running around with more money  to fund terrorism of  Christian American Citizens. 

Terrorists were Muslim
Terrorists=Muslim
Muslim=Terrorist

Catholic bishops (some) rape little boys, that doesn't mean all catholics like to play in little boy's ass holes!

No, but if you mention that someone is a Catholic bishop and that will be one of the first things some people think of.

nb34
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2012 at 4:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I hope you are joking. That comment just shows how ugly you are. That makes me want to throwing up

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

nb34
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Good for her, maybe some other bigots out there will learn their lesson and stop harassing others.

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on May. 6, 2012 at 5:03 PM
1 mom liked this
..the fuck is wrong with you? You're just nasty.

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SarahLizyB
by Member on May. 6, 2012 at 5:35 PM
Wow. Poor thing. I'm glad she got the money.
trippyhippy
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2012 at 5:37 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on May. 6, 2012 at 6:23 PM

I don't care what religion some one is, if one is harassed at work due to their religion, it is wrong, it is illegal.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on May. 6, 2012 at 6:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting LauraKW:

..the fuck is wrong with you? You're just nasty.

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

Makes my skin crawl, how asinine people can be. 

She probably  considers herself a 'good Christian'.  *sigh*

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." ~ Maya Angelou

TCgirlatheart
by TC on May. 9, 2012 at 10:37 PM

It's too bad more people can't think beyond stereotypes and their own assumptions...  SMH

Quoting momtimesx4:

Quoting TCgirlatheart:

What is wrong with you.

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

Terrorists were Muslim
Terrorists=Muslim
Muslim=Terrorist

~I ain't happy but, I'm feeling glad I got sunshine, in a bag I'm useless, but not for long The future is coming on~

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)