Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Mom free on bail after allegedly putting child in tanning bed - causing burns.

Posted by on May. 6, 2012 at 11:04 PM
  • 9 Replies

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2012-05-02/new-jersey-girl-tanning/54684416/1

Through her attorney, Patricia Krentcil, 44, of Nutley, entered a plea of not guilty Wednesday in Superior Court to a charge of child endangerment. New Jersey law bars anyone under 14 from using a tanning salon.

Prior to the hearing, Krentcil called the accusation a lie.

"It's all made up," she said.

She told The Associated Press her daughter got sunburned by being outside on a recent warm day. She said her daughter, however, had mentioned to school officials when she complained of itching that she had been to a tanning salon with her mother.

Krentcil had told various TV stations her daughter was in the room at the salon but not in the stand-up tanning booth.

Her attorney, John Caruso, said outside court that Krentcil will be exonerated, because the evidence will show the child never entered the booth.

"Forget about the presumption of innocence; my client is 150 percent innocent," Caruso said. "She loves that child more than her whole life. She would never, ever allow her child to go inside a tanning bed."

The child is still living at home with her mother, Caruso told Municipal Court Judge Roslyn Holmes-Grant, though he said the state's child welfare agency is monitoring the family.

Krentcil said she loves tanning and has visited salons for many years but would not do anything to jeopardize her daughter's health.

"Never in my life would I endanger my child by putting her in a tanning booth. I'm not dumb," she said before her scheduled hearing. Outside court, she called herself "a wonderful mother."

Police in Nutley told The Nutley Sun newspaper they were called to the child's school April 24 because the kindergartner was in pain from a "pretty severe sunburn."

Krentcil remained free on a $2,500 cash bond. She is scheduled to make her next court appearance on June 4.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 6, 2012 at 11:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Stephanie329
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2012 at 11:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Innocent? Maybe, maybe not.

From reading her "I'm not dumb" statement and looking at her picture, well, something's not right.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on May. 6, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Her tan scares me.

Stephanie329
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2012 at 11:10 PM
Me too. I want to know who told her that's attractive? It could be an addiction though. Hell, she could be 22 for all we know.

Quoting Euphoric:

Her tan scares me.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ziva65
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2012 at 10:15 AM
IDK, if she did it, absolutely there should be consequences. I saw her interviewed, as well as the tanning salon people, they all said the dauughter was in the waiting room with the spouse. hard to say.. The salon people also have a "vested interest", don't know if it's worth lying for though...
mom2the.rescue
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2012 at 10:18 AM

I'm glad I read this.  I hadn't really followed the story, and thought she did get the girl a fake tan.  Looks like the mom's addicted to the tanning beds (other addictions sound like much much more fun to me, but whatever)...but at least she's not as horrible of a mom as I was thinking.  How embarrassing for the little girl though!

lga1965
by on May. 7, 2012 at 4:55 PM

I don't know who is telling the truth here. Some said that the little girl had a sunburn. Of course the tanning salon people are going to back up the Mom because she spends so much money there. She has "tanorexia", a documented addiction according to Doctors. I believe it. She looks like old leather, so dark it looks scary.SHe goes a little too often. SHe will end up with skin cancer. And I bet she won't even quit then. Its a mental illness. If she let her kid spend time in a booth to get  a tan,she needs a visit at a jail for a while.

AmyG1976
by on May. 7, 2012 at 5:20 PM
1 mom liked this

there is no proof she did it. arresting ppl for a kid getting a sunburn is not a good idea. granted she is freaky with the tan but that dont mean she tanned her kid... I am crazy about hair color lol been every color of the rainbow I always have it died since I was 16 but guess what my kids cant until they are adults and or old enough to fully understand the risks associated with it. I love piercings and tattoos that dont mean my kids will have either until they are 18...

stormcris
by Christy on May. 7, 2012 at 5:26 PM

From the other pictures I have seen that depth of tan is fake.The picture below is her tanned color it seems. It seems she may need make up lessons.

Quoting Euphoric:

Her tan scares me.

Fear of serious injury alone cannot justify oppression of free speech and assembly. Men feared witches and burnt women. It is the function of speech to free men from the bondage of irrational fears.
Louis D. Brandeis
shannonnigans
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2012 at 5:36 PM
1 mom liked this
Makeup or leather cleaner/conditioner?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN