Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

One Million Moms at it again with JCPenney

Posted by on May. 7, 2012 at 8:55 AM
  • 170 Replies
1 mom liked this

One Million Moms Angry at JC Penney's Lesbian Couple in Mother's Day Catalog (Updated)

The conservative anti-gay group has once again targeted the retailer for "taking sides in the cultural war."

11:28 AM PDT 5/3/2012 by Elizabeth Snead

JCPenney Mother's Day Ad - P 2012
JCPenney

The conservative group One Million Moms (OMM) is angry at JC Penney again. The organization has launched another attack on the retail giant, this time for featuring a same-sex couple in its new Mother's Day catalog.

Previously, the group called for the removal of Ellen DeGeneres as the chain's spokesperson.

The group has now released a statement on its website urging members to take action against the brand's store managers so that complaints will be passed on to head office.

The statement says: "On pages ten and eleven, under the title 'Freedom of Expression,' you'll find "Wendi and her partner Maggie and daughters.' In the picture both women are wearing wedding bands."

They note the retailer's lack of interest in their complaints: "Last time OMM contacted JCPenney store managers, we were brushed off. Some even experienced in person the store manager saying 'Thank you' and walking off while their customer and our concerned members were in mid-sentence."

STORY: Ellen DeGeneres Responds to JC Penney Controversy

The statement continues: "OMM has been told that JCP corporate office told store managers to say 'Thank you' and then walk away. If they want our business, then we will not be ignored!'

Earlier this year, the group targeted Urban Outfitters after the retailer featured a photo depicting a kiss between two female models in its latest catalog.

After OMM threatened to boycott JC Penney after openly gay talk-show host DeGeneres became its spokesperson, JCP released a statement saying it was "standing behind its partnership with Ellen DeGeneres." OMM then dropped its protest.

Degeneres thanked JCP for its support on her show. "They wanted to get me fired and I am proud and happy to say JC Penney stuck by their decision to make me their spokesperson," she told her studio audience. "It's great news for me because I need some new crew socks, and I'm really gonna clean up with this discount."

The Hollywood Reporter has reached out to JC Penney's press office for comment.

JC Penney spokesperson Kate Coultas emailed THR this comment regarding the latest OMM backlash: "As jcpenney focuses on becoming America's favorite store, we want to be a store for all Americans. In celebration of Mother's Day, we're proud that our May book honors women from diverse backgrounds who all share the heartwarming experience of motherhood."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/fash-track/jcpenney-one-million-moms-ellen-degeneres-319949

by on May. 7, 2012 at 8:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sherry132
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2012 at 8:57 AM
10 moms liked this

Well I'm mad at them for their new pricing system. It's stupid and I don't save enough. If one million women want to be mad, why don't they pick a reason that one million will support? 

NCmommie1012
by Member on May. 7, 2012 at 8:59 AM
2 moms liked this
I love it! Go Jcp!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NCmommie1012
by Member on May. 7, 2012 at 8:59 AM
Amen!

Quoting sherry132:

Well I'm mad at them for their new pricing system. It's stupid and I don't save enough. If one million women want to be mad, why don't they pick a reason that one million will support? 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lga1965
by on May. 7, 2012 at 9:00 AM
11 moms liked this

The "Million" Moms are so damn stupid. I think I am going to the Mall and shop at Penney's ths afternoon after I am done babysitting my granddaughter. I need some new summer shorts and sandals. Maybe some other items....I am sure I can find other stuff.big smile mini

I'm a fan of JC Penney and Ellen. And human beings,no matter who they love.

I swear......mumbles under breath.....cursing........

Islandmom2boys
by Member on May. 7, 2012 at 9:01 AM
3 moms liked this
Sounds like OMM needs to get a life and find something worth complaining about.

Why can't they just let people love who they love, be it a different race or the same sex.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LittleBirdFly
by Member on May. 7, 2012 at 9:01 AM
11 moms liked this

thats a lesbian couple? I thought that was daughte mom and gandma....

Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2012 at 9:02 AM
I just miss my $10 off a purchase of $10 or more coupon!

Quoting sherry132:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SuperChicken
by on May. 7, 2012 at 9:02 AM
13 moms liked this

One million, lol.  

I do love their protests though.  It gives me ideas of which stores to support.

sunshinebebe26
by on May. 7, 2012 at 9:05 AM
2 moms liked this

That is so dumb, and honestly I would have never noticed had it not been pointed out to me that they were lesbians or supposed to be or whatever. Why can't people mind their own business? I love Ellen who doesn't love Ellen I have never really been a big JC Penneys shopper either but next time My dh takes me shopping in Houston I will definatley be stopping by there store.

thecoffeefairy
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2012 at 9:09 AM
1 mom liked this
I never shopped J C Penny but now I think I may need a new pair of sandals. Hmmmm...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN