Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
I believe in racial profiling. Now before you get offended, know that if there was some racial profiling that was against short, brunettes with pale skin, I'd be ok with being racially profiled. Now I think maybe if your at the airport and know you fit a profile, you should account for extra time. Also if your found to not be a threat that they hold your plane for you or somethig to its not so unfair. But yes I totally think its ok and that we should be doing it! If it prevents another 911, wouldn't it be worth it??

http://m.npr.org/story/152207969?url=/blogs/thetwo-way/2012/05/07/152207969/reports-cia-thwarts-new-more-sophisticated-underwear-bomber
by on May. 7, 2012 at 10:34 PM
Replies (221-222):
mommajen32
by Platinum Member on Jul. 3, 2012 at 5:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting mommy2b39465:

Quoting mommajen32:

Quoting mommy2b39465:

I see what you mean, I did use the term 'racially profiling'. However, I tend to think of that in terms not of 'Oh that man is black, or white, or hispanic, he's suspicious!'. I tend to think of it as, I've heard that the attire listed below is often what a person is wearing when they rob a convenience store, because the hoodie helps cover their identity. There are other kinds of clothing and behavior, that especially when combined with certain races,  highten the likelihood that the person might be up to trouble. I just think a policeman should be able to do his job without wondering if they are going to be attacked later for racially profiling a person. I'm not saying that a policeman has the right to, say, chase the person down for questioning, but I think that they should be able to, say, keep an eye on the person until they leave the convenience store. Not stalk, not cause trouble, just keep an eye on, without having to deal with politics afterwards. 

Quoting Shortiekt:

Please tell me how this attire can be contributed to a particular race...

Quoting mommy2b39465:

no, but if a policeman sees a teenager with pants sagging halfway past his butt with a hoodie pulled over his head and his arms stuck in the pockets, he should be able to say 'that kid kinda looks suspicious, I think I'll stick around and keep an eye on him until he leaves the store....'

Quoting jewels5525:

So then its ok to pull over all teenagers because they might have just robbed a store?

Quoting mommy2b39465:

I agree with you, racially profiling should be used, in my opinion, when used by trained officials. I don't want another 911. I don't want a kid getting away from robbing a store because the police are afraid they might be considered to be profiling him. That shouldn't be a concern, they should be able to to see a potential threat and check it out.

Profile Justin Beeber...........

The style has been around for over 20 years, good gracious folks ...get with the program. It may not be for you and your house but it's just like any other youth style. Kids dye their hair blue too. 

Oh he must be on heroin

Oh she must cut herself and worship the devil

Are you profiling the Earth/hippie folks for weed? 

On the last two, if you dress the part don't be angry when you are assumed to participate in the stereotypes associated with that clothing/hairstyle. With the Justin Beeber pic, if I were a policeman I'd profile him just for fun. Personally, I'd enjoy coming up behind him and pulling his pants down. Maybe then, b/c he's a star other kids might realize how much of an idiot he looks wearing that and decide to wear decent clothing that covers their butt appropriately and that is not easily pulled to the ankles.

Part of my point is ....part of being young is dressing weird and funky. It's youth culture. I went through the preppy in hs then Timberlands/Daisy Dukes then the patchwork mixed with Afrocentric headwraps & dashikis, and the punk fishnets & boots and the "revolutionary" army jacket & political buttons ... 

It's not ok just to jump to conclusions on kids, otherwise we're deamonizing / criminalizing any kid that looks different. I don't know how old you are but the '80s were pretty ridiculous it's the wonder folks were able to reproduce given all the nuthuggers and camel toes. 

mommajen32
by Platinum Member on Jul. 3, 2012 at 5:52 PM

As for the original premise, the flaw is ....in our society there is a prevalent belief that black = criminal automatically, regardless of how someone is dressed. That is a problem. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)