Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

For those of you who would like to see Planned Parenthood defunded...

Posted by   + Show Post

Is the thought process behind defunding Planned Parenthood that it will end abortion?  Do you believe that if PP no longer existed, then there would be no place for women to go for an abortion?

Abortions only account for 3% of the services provided by PP, and PP could survive if it stopped performing abortions.   However, PP is not the only abortion provider in the USA.  There are and always will be other facilities/physicians for women to turn to when they want to abort.  If PP were to stop performing abortions, these clinics will see a need and will just build more clinics in which to perform abortions.

Abortions are legal.  Defunding PP only hurts women.   

Sherri

by on May. 8, 2012 at 12:18 AM
Replies (251-260):
gal409
by Member on May. 9, 2012 at 5:12 PM

well some of us don't make enough money to pay for mamagrams so PP has helped me  and saved my life .

Quoting grandmab125:

Quoting Aslen:

Hey stupid! You do that at pp you dumb cunt! But lmfao that you put free clinic and paying for your body...

Quoting ElitestJen:

Quoting Aslen:

Quoting ElitestJen:

And you know there are other places to receive pelvic exams, birth control, etc.  Some of those places even accept Medicaid (where much of the money PP receives is from). 

Planned Parenthood does not have a monopoly on the vagina.  They've done a decent job at making people believe they do, though.

No they haven't. And what if you don't have medicaid? Where do you go then?

Free clinics.  Health Departments.  *gasp*  Pay out of pocket! 

I know.  Its totally unfair to pay for your own body.

It is unbelievable the disgusting foul mouths of some of you women.  Can't you disagree without getting down in the gutter?  You know, that kind of language only belittles your argument.

Redwall
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2012 at 7:41 PM

I don't want to pay for any of it.

Della529
by Matlock on May. 9, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Quoting gracieb3:

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

If any government money is given to planned parenthood for anything also housed in a place that provides abortion then the conflict of interest is to high. If the cost of PP to provide abortion services even is so small is not fathomable in locations that do not receive any government funds then there lies the problem. There is a way to have the government give tax dollars for other services but in order to do so conflicted interest free then the all serves with government subsidy housed in one location and a DBA other location to offer abortions and other non government money funded services. These two organizations can both be under the same parent title but would need to operate different budgets without any sharing. This does not seem to be the case.

Gracieb, have you any knowledge of Forensic Accounting?

Rubberbiscuit
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2012 at 9:22 PM
Because Planned Parenthood exists to help women have access to birth control, there is less of a need for abortions. You could say they are in the business of abortion prevention. You would think that if a person were really against abortion, they would be in favor of a business which is accountable for fewer abortions being needed in this country. I would say that since many prolife people are anti-Planned Parenthood, they are anti-woman.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gracieb3
by on May. 9, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Quoting Della529:

Quoting gracieb3:

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

If any government money is given to planned parenthood for anything also housed in a place that provides abortion then the conflict of interest is to high. If the cost of PP to provide abortion services even is so small is not fathomable in locations that do not receive any government funds then there lies the problem. There is a way to have the government give tax dollars for other services but in order to do so conflicted interest free then the all serves with government subsidy housed in one location and a DBA other location to offer abortions and other non government money funded services. These two organizations can both be under the same parent title but would need to operate different budgets without any sharing. This does not seem to be the case.

Gracieb, have you any knowledge of Forensic Accounting?

No I do not. I'm versed in forensic computing, business ethics and company policy. 

I_told_you_so
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Where I live, we have a PP clinic in town - does not perform abortions.  None of the clinics in my state do either.  In the largest city, there are for-profit clinics that perform abortions, and some of them 'bend the laws".  They shut 2 of them down, and 3 more clinics opened up.  In my town, regular OBs are doing early abortions but calling them D&Cs.   Yet every single PP is picketed.  I have watched the people walk out of the Catholic church and walk over to the clinic with their signs.  One guy pulled a chair along with him and sat down to read in front of the clinic with his sign resting by his legs.   All these clinics do is perform pap smears, prenatal testing, STD diagnosis and treatment, cheap birth control and breast exams.  Most of the smaller clinics in this state only refer and help pay for work done at gyn offices.  People who are on welfare get Medicaid ad that pays for a lot.   But people who get more money than allowed for Medicaid end up going here.  IMHO, there is more going on that protesting abortions with PP and the Catholic Church.  I think they want to shut them down so that they don't provide cheap birth control which they don't want ANYONE to use (not just Catholics).

I_told_you_so
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Why?  What do you have against providing poor women a way to not have as many kids for the tax payers to support anyway?

Quoting Redwall:

I don't want to pay for any of it.

I_told_you_so
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2012 at 10:06 PM
1 mom liked this

They found my ovarian tumor.

Quoting gal409:

well some of us don't make enough money to pay for mamagrams so PP has helped me  and saved my life .

Quoting grandmab125:

Quoting Aslen:

Hey stupid! You do that at pp you dumb cunt! But lmfao that you put free clinic and paying for your body...

Quoting ElitestJen:

Quoting Aslen:

Quoting ElitestJen:

And you know there are other places to receive pelvic exams, birth control, etc.  Some of those places even accept Medicaid (where much of the money PP receives is from). 

Planned Parenthood does not have a monopoly on the vagina.  They've done a decent job at making people believe they do, though.

No they haven't. And what if you don't have medicaid? Where do you go then?

Free clinics.  Health Departments.  *gasp*  Pay out of pocket! 

I know.  Its totally unfair to pay for your own body.

It is unbelievable the disgusting foul mouths of some of you women.  Can't you disagree without getting down in the gutter?  You know, that kind of language only belittles your argument.

I_told_you_so
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2012 at 10:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm of the opinion that if PP is defunded, it's going to cause MORE abortions.  Because women will no longer have access to cheap birth control, they are going to get pregnant, and if they really don't want the kids, they will abort them.   Besides, once they get rid of PP, what is the Catholic Bishops going to target next?

Quoting mom2klca:

The thought process behind defunding PP is not that it will end abortion, lol. The politicians and Americans who agree with defunding PP, are fully aware that abortion is legal and happening in clinics other than PP and will continue to happen even if every single PP is defunded. That being said, I think the actual thought process behind defunding PP is simple. The federal govt MUST make drastic cuts across the board to ALL federally funded programs in order for our country and economy to survive.

I_told_you_so
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Goes to show you that you know nothing about Government health funding.  Government funds have not been allowed for use for abortions for many years.  They NEVER paid for any abortions through PP.  Any funds for abortions have come from the individual, although some of the money an individual pays MAY come from a welfare check.   Should we stop paying welfare because THAT money could pay for an abortion?

You ASSUME that health departments and other organizations provide free or low cost services that PP provides.  In many places, there isn't any other place to go.  You either go to the PP, or you can go to a hospital, and unless it's a public hospital that accepts charity cases, end up paying a fortune.  

Honestly, before people start going on about what they DO, why don't they CHECK to find out what they ACTUALLY do instead of listening to what the Catholic Bishops have to say about it - they have an alternative reason to be against PP - because of the contraception they give out.  Many Christians just listen to what is said and TRUST that it's right.  If you're going to shut down PP because of the abortions, then open a charity that will take care of the NON-abortion medical work for women that is needed.

Quoting ReginaStar:

The thought behind it clearly to remove the involuntary choice of having to pay for something they do not support are very much against.

All other services could be provided for by Health Departments and other organizations that provide those things without providing free abortions with gov. funding.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN