Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

'Where the Wild Things Are' Author Maurice Sendak Dead at 83

Posted by on May. 8, 2012 at 8:48 AM
  • 21 Replies

Very sad news to report this morning: Maurice Sendak, the author of Where the Wild Things Are, has died at the age of 83, The New York Times reports via Twitter

RELATED: Prepare for the Stephen Colbert Children's Book Experience

We don't have details yet on exactly how or when he died, but for a reminder of why this crotchety genius was so inspiring, listen to hisFresh Air appearance from late last year, and check out this video of Stephen Colbert's interview with him in January.

RELATED: Photo of the Day: Where The Wild POTUS Is

The Colbert ReportMon - Thurs 11:30pm / 10:30c
Grim Colberty Tales with Maurice Sendak Pt. 1
www.colbertnation.com
Colbert Report Full EpisodesPolitical Humor & Satire BlogVideo Archive

Sendak, who was never at a loss for words, told The New Yorker's Art Spiegelman in 1993, "People say, 'Oh, Mr. Sendak. I wish I were in touch with my childhood self, like you!' As if it were all quaint and succulent, like Peter Pan. Childhood is cannibals and psychotic vomiting in your mouth! I say, 'You are in touch, lady--you're mean to your kids, you treat your husband like shit, you lie, you're selfish… That is your childhood self!"

RELATED: Actor Peter Falk Dead At 83

"Kids books… Grownup books… That's just marketing. Books are books," he said in the sameillustrated interview. A book lover until the very end, he told The Guardian's Emma Brockes in 2011: "I hate [ebooks]. It's like making believe there's another kind of sex. There isn't another kind of sex. There isn't another kind of book! A book is a book is a book."

RELATED: Betty Ford, Dead at 93

Dave Eggars summed up many of our feelings about Sendak in a Vanity Fair Portrait in August 2011: 

Sendak is the best-known, and by most measures simply the best, living creator of picture books... his work has only grown in stature. No one has been more uncompromising, more idiosyncratic, and more in touch with the unhinged and chiaroscuro subconscious of a child.

edit part sorry everyone:

DANBURY, Conn. (AP) — Maurice Sendak, the children's book author and illustrator who saw the sometimes-dark side of childnood in books like "Where the Wild Things Are" and "In the Night Kitchen," has died. He was 83.

Longtime friend and caretaker Lynn Caponera says she was with him when he died early Tuesday at a hospital in Danbury, Conn. She says he had a stroke on Friday.

"Where the Wild Things Are" earned Sendak a prestigious Caldecott Medal for the best children's book of 1964 and became a hit movie in 2009.

by on May. 8, 2012 at 8:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stormcris
by Christy on May. 8, 2012 at 8:51 AM

awe 

rfurlongg
by on May. 8, 2012 at 8:52 AM
Great loss.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
romalove
by Roma on May. 8, 2012 at 9:24 AM

And they roared their terrible roars, and gnashed their terrible teeth....

RIP, a very big loss

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on May. 8, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Sad news

I may be the only person on this site to openly admit that I dislike the book 'where the wild things are'.

romalove
by Roma on May. 8, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Sad news

I may be the only person on this site to openly admit that I dislike the book 'where the wild things are'.

Did you read Chicken Soup with Rice?

I can't stand most children's movies and things, but I adore Sendak, and have since I was 5 years old.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on May. 8, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Sad news

I can't stand most children's movies and things, but I adore Sendak, and have since I was 5 years old.

No, I have not.

romalove
by Roma on May. 8, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Sad news

No, I have not.

Try it.  :-)

nb34
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Very sad :( We read Sandak's books to our boys all the time. RIP Sandak! You have brought a lot of joy to our lives.

Jambo4
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2012 at 11:59 AM

In honor of this day.. 

somebody should post Obama reading Where the Wild Things Are...

(I dislike Obama.. but it was a nice video)

Jambo4
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2012 at 12:01 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Sad news

No, I have not.

Try it.  :-)

Try it, try it and you may...

oh wait.. wrong author. wink mini

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN