Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Daughter Admits Lying About Father Raping Her, Man Released From Prison After Nine Years

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Should county prosecutor be forced to take legal action against daughter?

Options:

YES

NO

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 100

View Results

In 2001, an 11-year-old girl told a judge that her father raped her, sending the man to prison for nine years. Today, she admits that she lied.

Now 23-years-old, Cassandra Ann Kennedy says she made up the story because she was upset with her father following her parents' divorce, The Daily News reports.

Last week, authorities in Washington state finally released the father, Thomas Edward Kennedy, who was serving a 15 year prison term. All charges have been dropped thanks to the daughter's statement, made in January.

According to The Daily News:

"Reached Friday, Thomas Kennedy, now 43, declined to comment, saying he's simply trying to get on with his life. Longview police, who investigated both the initial allegations in 2001 and the details that later exonerated Kennedy, also declined to comment and referred questions to Baur."

Cassandra Kennedy told authorities that guilt prompted her to reveal the truth, according to the Seattle Times.

Cowlitz County Prosecutor Sue Baur says that the county will not take legal action against Kennedy, partly because authorities do not want to discourage individuals who have, in fact, suffered from sexual harassment from stepping forward.

For more on

Clarification: Language has been changed to clarify that the prosecutor did not want to discourage other rape victims from coming forward, as opposed to persons in "similar circumstances" to Kennedy's

by on May. 8, 2012 at 6:38 PM
Replies (91-96):
glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on May. 13, 2012 at 4:38 AM
1 mom liked this

See this is the main issue. You have half the people in this post saying there has to be more to the story or evidence. All it takes is some friends with issues and a few times watching lifetime movies and poof you have a little liar manipulating CPS and parents in hell!

Quoting annabl1970:

Quoting turtle68:

Quoting rfurlongg:

I cannot help but feel there is a lot more to this story.

me too...In my experience the lone voice of a child does not equal convicted child molester.  There has to have been more evidence to point to the dad.

Cassandra said she got the idea of setting up her father from a friend whose stepfather was sent to prison for a child sex crime. "I thought that is what I would do to make my dad go away," she told police in January.

In her recent interviews with police, Cassandra recalled testifying against her father during his trial and "having to point at him and look at him and say who he was — and how bad I felt, all the guilt, thinking, 'Can I take it all back?' "

"I remember being so unhappy and scared that they were going to convict him," Cassandra told the detectives in January.

Police reports tell the story of an angry little girl who felt neglected by her father and, by her own admission, took "vengeance" on him.

'Peace' a code word for abuse

Cassandra first told her teacher about the alleged incest in early 2001, according to reports. Teacher and student worked out a code word to signal that the abuse was continuing — "peace." Cassandra told police it wasn't long before she called the teacher: "It happened again," she said. "Peace."

Cassandra also wrote about the alleged abuse in a journal that included among its pink and purple pages other mundane entries about boys, Cassandra's slipping grades and her older sister's annoying behavior. On the cover, written in a little girl's haphazard letters, were the words "Confidential. No taking peeks."

Later in 2001, in an interview with Longview police investigators, Cassandra used stuffed animals to illustrate what her father had allegedly done to her, reports said. She also drew a picture of a bathroom where she said one of the rapes happened. Police later measured and photographed the room.

Cassandra's account included frightening detail, according to police reports. But if it wasn't true, police wanted to know this year, how could an 11-year-old know so much about sex? Cassandra told police in January that she began engaging in sexual activity as a second-grader. She also said she may have known what to tell police from watching a movie or from walking in on adults having sex.

In March of 2001, Cassandra was examined at a Vancouver clinic where she told a doctor about the alleged abuse. "She looked at me and said, 'Are you telling the truth?" Cassandra said this year of her appointment with the doctor. "I lied to her and said, 'Yes.' "

The doctor found trauma in Cassandra's groin area, according to a report.

Police described Cassandra's allegations during an interview with Kennedy in March of 2001. Kennedy, who was at the time a laborer and equipment operator at Metro Metals Northwest in Kelso, "denied doing anything," a Longview investigator wrote in a report. "He was very upset. He told me he would do anything to prove he didn't do anything."

A jury convicted Kennedy of three counts of first-degree rape of a child in 2002, and now-retired Cowlitz Superior Court Judge Jim Warme sentenced him to more than 15 years in prison.

Until then, Kennedy's criminal record had included convictions in the 1990s for fourth-degree assault, reckless driving and driving with a suspended license.

Cassandra's family members recalled to police this year that, during a 2002 trip to the beach, Cassandra told her mother she'd lied about the rape allegations, according to reports. However, Cassandra took back the statement a day later and insisted she'd been telling the truth all along, family members told police.

Kennedy, who was serving his sentence at the Stafford Creek Corrections Center in Aberdeen, appealed his conviction, alleging his defense attorney had been incompetent, but the appeals failed. Kennedy wasn't scheduled to be released until 2016.

On Feb. 15, after Longview police told prosecutors that Cassandra Kennedy was recanting, Baur wrote an urgent letter to Superior Court Judge Stephen Warning. "I need to inform you that I have been made aware of new, credible material evidence that potentially creates a reasonable likelihood that Mr. Kennedy is innocent of those crimes," Baur wrote, adding that her staff was "continuing to work with investigators to uncover the truth."

Kennedy was brought from Stafford Creek to the Cowlitz County Jail in late February, Baur said. During a hearing last Monday, Judge Warning ruled that Cassandra's statements to police this year are credible. He also found that the physical trauma reported by a doctor in 2001 may have been caused by a sexual experience that took place before the dates of the alleged abuse, Baur said.

trulyblessed618
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2012 at 9:44 AM
I've noticed many people have quoted on my reply. I just feel and am also pretty sure that statistics in the future would wind up showing a much lower rate of confession if we punish people for coming forth with the truth. I feel more people would be left in jail to rot for something they did not do. I by no means feel they really should be off the hook but if the punishment seems to the confessor to be to extreme most won't tell the truth. What happened to this man is awful and should never happen.

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

This

Quoting trulyblessed618:

If we punish people for telling the truth they won't .... Even though it's unfair. However I don't think it should be so easy to prosecute someone for rape... He didn't do it so what kind of evidence put him away?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaBear2cubs
by Member on May. 13, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Did they do an investigation and rape kit on her? Or they just took her at her word? That is so awful. I think she needs to be charged and sentenced to 9 years and not a day less. She ruined a mans life for 9 years.

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on May. 13, 2012 at 2:33 PM

My uncle had a friend that happened to.  It was his teenaged son.  He ended up kicking the kid out of the house for the sake of the rest of the kids.

Quoting annabl1970:

Last year in my area in local news were story of family. The same happened to them. Daughter was behaving bad, coming late, failing grades and etc. So parents took away her phone and shut internet. She went to school and said her teacher, her dad constantly hits her. They spend all their savings, to save husband from jail, and lately to get two little ones back home. ( Of course they were taken away from them). The whole case was build on daughter accusations, there was no history of violence, no witnesses, no police reports, no any eveidence, nothing! Now this girl is back ( her sisters are back too Thanks God), BUT spoiled brat is making everybody life misreable and getting away with murder so to speak.

Quoting kailu1835:

I have a friend whose daughter ripped her family apart all because her mom wouldn't let her join cheerleading, because running-start took precidence.  Now both kids have been taken away, the state is paying for the girl's cheerleading, and the parents may never see their kids again outside of a courtroom.  The daughter told blatant lies to get what she wanted, and it worked.  That's not the only first knowledge I have of a kid lying and putting parents through hell, including one family whose kids got taken away AND the parents put in jail for several years until they finally got an appeal that found them not guilty.  They never did get their kids back.  Kids who figure out how to work the system are the most dangerous people in the world to their parents.  They need to realize that there are consequences to their blatant lying and destructive behavior.

This girl who lied about her father ruined his life.  He probably was somebody's bitch in prison, especially if anyone knew what he had been convicted of, because inmates don't take kindly to people who rape little girls.  She should go to jail for the rest of her life for putting him through what she did.

ETA: We don't let criminals off just because they admit to the crime.  If that were the case, we wouldn't have anyone in jail.  It is a crime to commit purjury, and it is also a crime to commit slander/libel (whichever is the appropriate term.. I forget which is which).

Quoting Clairwil:

I voted "no" on the poll.

If a journalist or police officer had discovered she was lying, I'd have said "yes".

If she'd blabbed her secret while drunk, or mentioned it in a book or blog post, I'd have said "yes".

But in this case she voluntarily went to the authorities, and if she hadn't the truth would never have come out.

Is that type of voluntary confession something we want to discourage?

Obviously the initial act of bearing false witness is something society has to discourage, but I think perhaps the penalties that happen to the liars who get caught out is sufficient on that score.

Is there a danger of people thinking "What harm if I lie, I can always retract it later without cost to myself." ?  But, even if she doesn't end up in prison, I wouldn't say this will be without cost.  Not the same level of cost as the father suffered, but are there many people reading this story who are now thinking "Hey, maybe I could get away with doing that?"

babiesbabybaby development

annabl1970
by Platinum Member on May. 13, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Quoting kailu1835:

My uncle had a friend that happened to.  It was his teenaged son.  He ended up kicking the kid out of the house for the sake of the rest of the kids.  It's sad, but I understand him,  he needed to protect his famil- his other kids. When child learned to manipulate system, parents do not have authority over him anymore.

Quoting annabl1970:

Last year in my area in local news were story of family. The same happened to them. Daughter was behaving bad, coming late, failing grades and etc. So parents took away her phone and shut internet. She went to school and said her teacher, her dad constantly hits her. They spend all their savings, to save husband from jail, and lately to get two little ones back home. ( Of course they were taken away from them). The whole case was build on daughter accusations, there was no history of violence, no witnesses, no police reports, no any eveidence, nothing! Now this girl is back ( her sisters are back too Thanks God), BUT spoiled brat is making everybody life misreable and getting away with murder so to speak.

Quoting kailu1835:

I have a friend whose daughter ripped her family apart all because her mom wouldn't let her join cheerleading, because running-start took precidence.  Now both kids have been taken away, the state is paying for the girl's cheerleading, and the parents may never see their kids again outside of a courtroom.  The daughter told blatant lies to get what she wanted, and it worked.  That's not the only first knowledge I have of a kid lying and putting parents through hell, including one family whose kids got taken away AND the parents put in jail for several years until they finally got an appeal that found them not guilty.  They never did get their kids back.  Kids who figure out how to work the system are the most dangerous people in the world to their parents.  They need to realize that there are consequences to their blatant lying and destructive behavior.

This girl who lied about her father ruined his life.  He probably was somebody's bitch in prison, especially if anyone knew what he had been convicted of, because inmates don't take kindly to people who rape little girls.  She should go to jail for the rest of her life for putting him through what she did.

ETA: We don't let criminals off just because they admit to the crime.  If that were the case, we wouldn't have anyone in jail.  It is a crime to commit purjury, and it is also a crime to commit slander/libel (whichever is the appropriate term.. I forget which is which).

Quoting Clairwil:

If a journalist or police officer had discovered she was lying, I'd have said "yes".

If she'd blabbed her secret while drunk, or mentioned it in a book or blog post, I'd have said "yes".

But in this case she voluntarily went to the authorities, and if she hadn't the truth would never have come out.

Obviously the initial act of bearing false witness is something society has to discourage, but I think perhaps the penalties that happen to the liars who get caught out is sufficient on that score.

Is there a danger of people thinking "What harm if I lie, I can always retract it later without cost to myself." ?  But, even if she doesn't end up in prison, I wouldn't say this will be without cost.  Not the same level of cost as the father suffered, but are there many people reading this story who are now thinking "Hey, maybe I could get away with doing that?"

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on May. 13, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Exactly, and that's why my friend (who just recently had her two girls taken away because the teenager got vindictive after being told she couldn't do cheerleading) probably will not take the teenager back.  She wants her youngest back, but now that the teen knows anything she says against her parents will be taken seriously without a shred of evidence, there isn't anything my friend will be able to do to discipline her.  I don't think the kid thought through the ramifications of her blatant lies.

Quoting annabl1970:

Quoting kailu1835:

My uncle had a friend that happened to.  It was his teenaged son.  He ended up kicking the kid out of the house for the sake of the rest of the kids.  It's sad, but I understand him,  he needed to protect his famil- his other kids. When child learned to manipulate system, parents do not have authority over him anymore.

Quoting annabl1970:

Quoting kailu1835:

Quoting Clairwil:

babiesbabybaby development

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)