Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

ODD~Oppositional Defiance Disorder **Update with Sources/Help**

Posted by   + Show Post

The debate, discussion.....

What do YOU think of this disorder?

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/oppositional-defiant-disorder/DS00630

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oppositional_defiant_disorder

"Oppositional defiant disorder (ODD) is a diagnosis described by the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) as an ongoing pattern of anger guided disobedience, hostilely defiant behavior toward authority figures which goes beyond the bounds of normal childhood behavior. People may appear very stubborn and often angry. A diagnosis of ODD cannot be given if the child presents with conduct disorder (CD)[1]

Contents

[hide]

[edit] Behavioral features

Common features of Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD) include excessive, often persistent anger, frequent temper tantrums or angry outbursts, as well as disregard for authority. Children and adolescents with ODD often purposely annoy others, blame others for their own mistakes, and are easily disturbed. Parents often observe more rigid and irritable behaviors than in siblings.[2] In addition, these young people may appear resentful of others and when someone does something they don't like they prefer taking revenge more than sensitive solutions.[3]

For a child or adolescent to qualify for a diagnosis of ODD these behaviors must cause considerable distress for the family and/or interfere significantly with academic or social functioning. Interference might take the form of preventing the child or adolescent from learning at school or making friends, or placing him or her in harmful situations. These behaviors must also persist for at least six months. Effects of ODD can be greatly amplified by other disorders in comorbidity such as ADHD.[4]

[edit] Signs and Symptoms

Some signs and symptoms that must be perpetuated for longer than 6 months and must be considered beyond normal child behavior to fit the diagnosis are:[5][6]

The child must exhibit 4 out of the 8 signs and symptoms listed below in order to meet the DSM-IV-TR diagnostic threshold for ODD[7]

• Actively refuses to comply with majority's requests or consensus supported rules[8]
  • Performs deliberate actions to annoy others[8]
  • Angry and resentful of others[6]
  • Argues often[6]
  • Blames others for his or her own mistakes
  • Has few or no friends or has lost friends
  • Is causing constant trouble at school
  • Touchy or easily annoyed

Generally, these patterns of behavior will lead to problems at school and other social venues.[6]

[edit] Causes

Children of alcoholic parents, or whose fathers have "been in trouble with the law" run a 18% chance of developing ODD, beginning very early in age.[4] This could suggest that the development of ODD concerning symptoms of dis-cooperativeness may be influenced by the behavior of the parents.

Update:

I would like to add some helpful resources, books, for those who are navigating this terrain.

Your Defiant Child,  Barkley

The Defiant  Child, Dr. Riley

Taking Charge of Adhd, Barkley
The Explosive Child, Greene

Parenting Children w/ Adhd, MonastraSuper Parenting for ADD: The Survival Guide to Kids with ADD or ADHD, John Taylor PhD

by on May. 8, 2012 at 7:18 PM
Replies (781-788):
mom23musketeerz
by on May. 25, 2012 at 3:32 PM
2 moms liked this

Exactly! Just because my child has a host of mental disabilities (ADHD, ODD, OCD, Anxiety, Bipolar), it does NOT give him a so-called "free pass" and yes, he is punished accordingly if need be. Only difference is that he requires a different level of interaction and reaction/punishment than his sisters do that do not have these problems.

Quoting JAIRATRACI:

I agree itucutie. My son tries to say you know I have ADHD when he is being a brat and I tell him that I know he knows how to behave and that he better start behaving. Some parents let their kids do whatever because of a diagnoses but those that do are idiots. Most of us do not let our kids do whatever.

Quoting ltucutie:

You make it sound as if a diagnosis is a "Get out of Jail Free Card" for the parents.  As if the parents no longer have to discipline their child because he/she has a diagnosis.

I don't agree at all.  My son is Autistic and I don't allow him to get away with things because of it.  I take him to therapy and make sure that he has all of the resources that he needs in school.  In our home, he has rules and chores and consequences just like any other child.

I will say that I don't believe that every diagnosis is spot on either.  I know there are some children that are misdiagnosed, but we should not be saying that all of them are.

Quoting mummy1990:

I think diagnosing kids with all these disorders is doing more harm than good, because you know, the children that are just being brats, and are now going to be given the excuse, oh, he just has ODD, when really, they're just being brats. Like ADHD...that gets diagnosed so much, and really, most kids are just hyper active...like they should be. I had a friend who was told that she was ADHD, but what was really going on was, she would finish her classwork, and screw around because she was bored. Things like this will be misdiagnosed.

jj4ij
by Member on May. 30, 2012 at 12:54 PM

At 4, my oldest son was tested for this. What they did was take him from me and put him in a room alone with a rather large, bouncer looking dark skinned black man.  (My son is white) (Oh, and please don't take offense...... )  There was a two way mirror.   The guy started to play games and talk to my son and then in the middle of the game he said, ok...it is time to clean up.  Well, my son looked at him and said that he wasn't done.  The man sternly told him to clean it up....now any other child in the world would have cowardly backed away, asked for their mom, cried......  he was scary.... but not my son.....he went crazy telling the guy he was not cleaning it up, arguing, even pushed him away when he went to put the game away.  BOOM........ ODD........  well along with a whole process of other tests, questions....  they were very thorough......but that test struck me.  It was quite a sight to see.  He had no fear or respect for authority all right.  It was insane!  He is eleven now, almost 12 and after 6 years on meds and 2 years now without medication but lots of self control work.......  he is more "normal"  considering boys his age are generally pushing their limits anyway and have figured out that most authority figures such as teachers cannot hurt them.........  But it was a tough road,  My son has ADHD, ODD and OCD.  When he was littler he also was diagnosed with hypo sensitivity disorder......  Good luck to you all..... I love my little BRAT !!!!!!

Radarma
by "OneDar" on May. 30, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Quoting jj4ij:

At 4, my oldest son was tested for this. What they did was take him from me and put him in a room alone with a rather large, bouncer looking dark skinned black man.  (My son is white) (Oh, and please don't take offense...... )  There was a two way mirror.   The guy started to play games and talk to my son and then in the middle of the game he said, ok...it is time to clean up.  Well, my son looked at him and said that he wasn't done.  The man sternly told him to clean it up....now any other child in the world would have cowardly backed away, asked for their mom, cried......  he was scary.... but not my son.....he went crazy telling the guy he was not cleaning it up, arguing, even pushed him away when he went to put the game away.  BOOM........ ODD........  well along with a whole process of other tests, questions....  they were very thorough......but that test struck me.  It was quite a sight to see.  He had no fear or respect for authority all right.  It was insane!  He is eleven now, almost 12 and after 6 years on meds and 2 years now without medication but lots of self control work.......  he is more "normal"  considering boys his age are generally pushing their limits anyway and have figured out that most authority figures such as teachers cannot hurt them.........  But it was a tough road,  My son has ADHD, ODD and OCD.  When he was littler he also was diagnosed with hypo sensitivity disorder......  Good luck to you all..... I love my little BRAT !!!!!!

You know, I would not say I take offense to this aspect of your experience, but I do find it concerning that you think by virtue of a man being big and black he is "scary".

That might be something for you to pay closer attention to.

I appreciate you sharing and it is wonderful that your boy is med-free and things are going well. Thank you for sharing it with us.

jj4ij
by Member on May. 31, 2012 at 12:29 PM
2 moms liked this

Ok..... Let me state, that I live in Philadelphia PA.....  about half of my friends are of another race, my SO for 9 years now is Puerto Rican and we are in a completely mixed neighborhood....BUT...... He was 4 year old..... and if the guy was big, white, bald and scary looking I would have stated that, but he wasn't.....  I mean no offense... Just a description....  When I was with these people that did the test, I said straight to the guy....  OMG... to him I would think that you were scary...... big...black....mean looking.... and he laughed and told me that it is only his job..... he is a teddy bear for real... that he doesn't enjoy his perfession being to try and intimidate kids.  We joked.  He was pleasant even flirted with me!  I only put it to prove a point and be very discriptive.  To any other child, it would have gone a whole other way, and probally much crying.  I want it to be realized that there is something really different with these kids.....they are not just brats.....but are the brats of yesteryear.  The description was accurate, my son is not raised to be racist.....he was called the token white by all of the black moms at his first daycare because he was the only white child in the center.  And this was before that test...........  he was not expected to be afraid of "black" people..... that is not what I was trying to say, but some people are way scarier than others and he was one.  (And even he would agree, so If I didn't offend him, no one else should be offended.)

For the record, I am a fat, long haired, white woman, doesn't offend me, it is true....... just a description.....

Quoting Radarma:

You know, I would not say I take offense to this aspect of your experience, but I do find it concerning that you think by virtue of a man being big and black he is "scary".

That might be something for you to pay closer attention to.

I appreciate you sharing and it is wonderful that your boy is med-free and things are going well. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Smilez4u0102
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 1:30 PM
Big pharma has to label it in order to prescribe drugs for it. ODD is just the label
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
conejoazul
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Quoting jj4ij:

I think the testing environment / stimulous you describe was interesting to read about ... basically, without any concern about race, you are clarifying your son was placed into a setting where a polar opposite of himself was offered as the authority figure and he did not bow to it in any manner.

Our son is approaching two ... YOUNG! ... but we are already seeking evaluation for SPD and ODD and have been for a few months, but due to his age it is difficult to find counselling that takes our concerns seriously in our area... Toddlerhood is not the issue , our son has had worrisome behavioral patterns from the beginning weeks that none of our parenting attempts have bridged successfully.  I will actually be relieved if we find out there is some sort of overhaul we can take to our parenting approach that will help him function more peacefully in many situations, but either way we need outside help.  The moms in the group who want to label this group of children "brats" don´t concern me much .... my child might not even seem like a brat to them, that is unless they watched how he interacts with my husband or me through a peephole ... but they don´t represent an authority figure to him and he picks and chooses his fights with others based on some interesting dynamics.

BTW, we had a similar "stand-up to confrontation¨experience when my son was around 16 months old.  My son, husband and I were walking down a long, narrow driveway that is fenced on either side by rock walls; my son had only been walking for about a month, but very much still demanding to be carried (not because of cuddling ... he likes to direct his caregiver).  A neighbor of ours began moving his herd of cows from one field to another along this same narrow driveway.  As you may already know, cows aren´t big runners and so we had about two minutes of walking "foward" from our starting point before we were close enough to the approaching cows to feel it was time to pick our son up.  Funny thing was, our son actually wanted to "stand-up" to the approaching bull and challenged us for interrupting him when we attempted to pick him up while we moved off to the side of the road to give the passing cows room.  Then, as the cows passed he insisted on throwing his fists towards them.  It is hard to describe in writing, but there was no sense of awe, fear or reverence ... he was completely challenging them and would have hit one on the flanks if we had allowed it.  He has done the same towards barking / growling dogs on more than one occaision.  The same child to-date has very little interest in petting animals (not even in the rough manner children are known for in the early years) ... Despite all our modeling, his first approach is hit / punch (and that includes to mom and dad ).  

Whether he ends up with the label of ODD or not we are looking forward to learning how we can help him channel / manage his type of aggression in a different way before the school years come and also a means to make family life more enjoyable for all of us.  We are surrounded by women who I consider "successful" moms of peaceful kids (rowdy, sure, but not aggressive).  What has worked for them just hasn´t worked for us and our son so far. 

Lastly, I haven´t had time to read the whole post, but one factor for ODD I have read about is unstable mother-father relationships that the child observes.  That, unfortunately, applies in our household, though, it is difficult to label which started first ... our son´s behaviors or our marital stress. 

HSLINKS
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 10:44 PM

an ODD child:

At 18 months (barely walking doing the drunk sailor walk) can leave you covered in black and blue marks

At almost 5 weighing maybe 30 pounds he was able to lift and swing an 8 foot 2x4 *from the end" (grown men would find this hard to do", and attack both my then 2 year old, the rabbit cages, etc - why because the rabbit hopped in cage

Numerous trips to local psych ward, less than 60 pounds and it took 5 men and myself to get him down. He managed to get out of 5 point harness (straight jacket) because he didn't feel pain and was flexible like crazy

At 11 he raped, and ended up in residential ..

I can still go on - but you get the picture

He was classified as ODD/CD then, today at 26 hes classified as a sociopath ..

He is a fetal alcohol baby, his bio mom has 5 generations of alcoholics, she herself is FAS .. Not a good cycle to continue

All the love in the world can not fix brain damage - he has frontal lobe damage from the FAS

Theresa07646
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 2:29 PM

There is research out there. You have to search for it. It is intentionally being kept from the public. Check out www.medmaps.org www.epidemicanswers.org  You have to look at what  is causing that behavior. Is it allergies to the environment or food? Is it heavy metal toxicity? Is it a dysfunctional immune system causing yeasty, bacteria, parasites to overgrow?  All these things can affect behavior and make a child defiant and oppositional. You will not find answers from main stream Allopathic Doctors.  Check out www.thinkingmomsrevolution.com  If I were you I would search on the Autism websites because they delve deeper in the causes of kids behavior. www.AutismOne.org  or www.autism.com Google Dr. Doris Rapp.  Is This Your Child?  Look up the video of the Phil Donahue Show  with Dr. Doris Rapp.  I think it was on in the 1980's.  ODD is not caused by the parents behavior. It is just another excuse to blame  the Mom. What are the underlying metabolic things occurring in the child.  No one wants to be oppositional or defiant.  I am sure the rates have this increased meaning something in our environment, perhaps toxins, are contributing to it.  Good Luck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN