Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

ODD~Oppositional Defiance Disorder **Update with Sources/Help**

Posted by   + Show Post

The debate, discussion.....

What do YOU think of this disorder?

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/oppositional-defiant-disorder/DS00630

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oppositional_defiant_disorder

"Oppositional defiant disorder (ODD) is a diagnosis described by the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) as an ongoing pattern of anger guided disobedience, hostilely defiant behavior toward authority figures which goes beyond the bounds of normal childhood behavior. People may appear very stubborn and often angry. A diagnosis of ODD cannot be given if the child presents with conduct disorder (CD)[1]

Contents

[hide]

[edit] Behavioral features

Common features of Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD) include excessive, often persistent anger, frequent temper tantrums or angry outbursts, as well as disregard for authority. Children and adolescents with ODD often purposely annoy others, blame others for their own mistakes, and are easily disturbed. Parents often observe more rigid and irritable behaviors than in siblings.[2] In addition, these young people may appear resentful of others and when someone does something they don't like they prefer taking revenge more than sensitive solutions.[3]

For a child or adolescent to qualify for a diagnosis of ODD these behaviors must cause considerable distress for the family and/or interfere significantly with academic or social functioning. Interference might take the form of preventing the child or adolescent from learning at school or making friends, or placing him or her in harmful situations. These behaviors must also persist for at least six months. Effects of ODD can be greatly amplified by other disorders in comorbidity such as ADHD.[4]

[edit] Signs and Symptoms

Some signs and symptoms that must be perpetuated for longer than 6 months and must be considered beyond normal child behavior to fit the diagnosis are:[5][6]

The child must exhibit 4 out of the 8 signs and symptoms listed below in order to meet the DSM-IV-TR diagnostic threshold for ODD[7]

• Actively refuses to comply with majority's requests or consensus supported rules[8]
  • Performs deliberate actions to annoy others[8]
  • Angry and resentful of others[6]
  • Argues often[6]
  • Blames others for his or her own mistakes
  • Has few or no friends or has lost friends
  • Is causing constant trouble at school
  • Touchy or easily annoyed

Generally, these patterns of behavior will lead to problems at school and other social venues.[6]

[edit] Causes

Children of alcoholic parents, or whose fathers have "been in trouble with the law" run a 18% chance of developing ODD, beginning very early in age.[4] This could suggest that the development of ODD concerning symptoms of dis-cooperativeness may be influenced by the behavior of the parents.

Update:

I would like to add some helpful resources, books, for those who are navigating this terrain.

Your Defiant Child,  Barkley

The Defiant  Child, Dr. Riley

Taking Charge of Adhd, Barkley
The Explosive Child, Greene

Parenting Children w/ Adhd, MonastraSuper Parenting for ADD: The Survival Guide to Kids with ADD or ADHD, John Taylor PhD

by on May. 8, 2012 at 7:18 PM
Replies (111-120):
fnpdocgrrl
by Boudica on May. 9, 2012 at 4:31 AM

Yes, and we certainly know the sorts of individuals who carry that diagnosis.  :(

If I found out my child had CD, I would move heaven and earth to do whatever it took to decrease his (it's almost always boys who get this diagnosis) chances of growing into a career violent criminal. 

Quoting katzmeow726:

Sad but true.  The prognosis for CD is very poor. The majority of your CD cases are eventually diagnosed as having anti-social personality disorder (sociopaths). There really is nothing you can do. 

Quoting fnpdocgrrl:

ODD I can deal with.  Conduct Disorder, OTOH, is something else entirely.

If your child gets a conduct disorder diagnosis....you have a very real reason to be scared fucking shitless.

mummy1990
by on May. 9, 2012 at 4:31 AM

I think diagnosing kids with all these disorders is doing more harm than good, because you know, the children that are just being brats, and are now going to be given the excuse, oh, he just has ODD, when really, they're just being brats. Like ADHD...that gets diagnosed so much, and really, most kids are just hyper active...like they should be. I had a friend who was told that she was ADHD, but what was really going on was, she would finish her classwork, and screw around because she was bored. Things like this will be misdiagnosed.

NutHouseMomma
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2012 at 5:31 AM
2 moms liked this

There are more components to an ODD diagnosis than what most people think. "Bratty" is an ignorant label to place on children that have mental health issues. However, I will have to say that in some, not all, situations, the parents are not using effective methods to help the child meet their potential. Having children with a mental health issue takes hard work and dedication ~ most parents want a changed child, yet they themselves need to do the most changing.

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." (Einstein)

ltucutie
by Member on May. 9, 2012 at 5:37 AM
2 moms liked this

You make it sound as if a diagnosis is a "Get out of Jail Free Card" for the parents.  As if the parents no longer have to discipline their child because he/she has a diagnosis.

I don't agree at all.  My son is Autistic and I don't allow him to get away with things because of it.  I take him to therapy and make sure that he has all of the resources that he needs in school.  In our home, he has rules and chores and consequences just like any other child.

I will say that I don't believe that every diagnosis is spot on either.  I know there are some children that are misdiagnosed, but we should not be saying that all of them are.

Quoting mummy1990:

I think diagnosing kids with all these disorders is doing more harm than good, because you know, the children that are just being brats, and are now going to be given the excuse, oh, he just has ODD, when really, they're just being brats. Like ADHD...that gets diagnosed so much, and really, most kids are just hyper active...like they should be. I had a friend who was told that she was ADHD, but what was really going on was, she would finish her classwork, and screw around because she was bored. Things like this will be misdiagnosed.

stormcris
by Christy on May. 9, 2012 at 6:24 AM
3 moms liked this

If you have never had to live with one you have no idea. They are not brats at all. 

Oh yea and that crap about it being a learned behavior is just that crap.

Fear of serious injury alone cannot justify oppression of free speech and assembly. Men feared witches and burnt women. It is the function of speech to free men from the bondage of irrational fears.
Louis D. Brandeis
cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on May. 9, 2012 at 6:33 AM
5 moms liked this

No, people don't realize. They also have never truly been around someone with ODD, or they wouldn't suggest it wasn't real. People with extreme ODD can and often do become sociopaths later in life if their behaviors are not gotten under control.

When people have the attitude that something like this isn't real, it doesn't really surprise me, because I've experienced the same attitude with my son's autism. I just hope people like this are never blessed with a child with this kind of disorder, because that child would never get the proper help he/she needed.

Quoting trippyhippy:

I don't think you realize to what level the behaviors have to be to get this diagnosis.
It's not just being bratty and it is usually part of another diagnosis like autism or other neurological disorders. My son who has severe autism and severe adhd has borderline ODD. And has been in daily behavioral therapy for years due to it. Like I said his is just borderline and it's a nightmare, I can't imagine the extreme cases.
rhodaj
by on May. 9, 2012 at 6:44 AM
1 mom liked this

no these children are not brats. These children have a real problem. My grandson has been diagnosed with ODD and when his world is not turned upset he is the kindess and sweetest little boy you would ever want to meet. They are loners, they will find something they enjoy doing and will do that project till it is done. My grandson's mother was asked by his psych dr if he was sure he wasn't just being a brat. I blew up. I know the different between the different between a brat. He has a problem his sister is a brat.

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2012 at 7:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Parenting, television, lack of contact with the natural world, food & enviromental toxins...sure. Those are the things that help build the brain so they surely impact the way it functions.

Quoting futureshock:

But why are so many of these brains dysfunctional?  I bet the food has a lot to do with it and environmental toxins.

Quoting UpSheRises:

We know more about how the brain works than we did even a decade ago. The more you know...the more you know.

Quoting kckmom3:

Seems like everyone has a "disorder" these days...sarcasm

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2012 at 7:03 AM
2 moms liked this

Excuse...reason...explanation, it's all those things. What's helpful about identifying a disorder is that it helps us treat it. For these kids and sticker chart and time outs won't work...they need to have their brains re-wired, which is what behavioral therapy is for.

Quoting kckmom3:

I guess so...just seems like excuses for bad behavior sometimes is all Im saying

Quoting UpSheRises:

We know more about how the brain works than we did even a decade ago. The more you know...the more you know.

Quoting kckmom3:

Seems like everyone has a "disorder" these days...sarcasm

beachbeauty
by on May. 9, 2012 at 7:11 AM

I think that children with these symptoms who are under stress don't truly have ODD, but ODD exists even when there isn't stress.  Our home is generally happy, I have 4 other children who are "normal", but I do think my husband's deployment to Iraq when he was 2 was a catalyst, but we saw symptoms even before then.

Quoting Refurbished:

It used to be a very accurate description of my youngest, until I divorced his father.  Suddenly, with all the conflict gone, he turned into a very sweet kid.  I tend to wonder if this is an actual disorder or if kids with these symptoms are reacting to stress. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN